Register now to get rid of these ads!

What's a good source for "normal" flashlights?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Groucho, Jul 12, 2010.

1. +2 on older, independent hardware stores. I bought a whole damned case of parts - bulbs, springs, reflectors, lenses, etc. - when one near me went out of business after over 100 years. Then I found out why it was so cheap - no one was interested in the parts.

2. 51 BIRD

51 BIRD

Maglites have a heck of a warranty. A buddy of mine was a Jersey City,NJ cop. He sent back his big 6 D-cell Maglite that he had bent over some perps head with a note explaining how it happened. Maglite sent back a replacement unit and a gift pack with a note "Glad To Assist"

3. Deuces

Deuces

I have 3 Maglites.. One is the little mini Mag that takes a AAA battery and has a spare bulb in the cap. A 2-D version and the "long johnson" 6-D version. I haven't replaced the Duracells in the 6-D version in the 10 years I've had it. I used that one alot when I had to close up the shop late at night...

4. Deuces

Deuces

They add a smiley on that note??? :)

5. 1931S/X

1931S/X
    from nj

i have several led flashlights. the more expensive ones rock. cheaper ones suck. i have quite the maglite collection, one is led and its probably my favorite.

6. In addition to having a few older Maglites, I also buy old style cheapo ones at almost any DollarTree or $.99 Only stores. For what a single good light costs, I can have a few BOXES of $1 store ones and leave them around everywhere, plus have one in every glovebox, tool box, ect.

7. AAFD

AAFD
    from US of A

8. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I for some reason developed a flashlight fettish in the Army, I managed to collect dozens of different types as they copped such a battering out on operations when I was a Medic. They were kinda important for others lives!!
    I had heaps of Maglites but they are mid field.
    Without doubt the best you can get is the Pelican flashlights.
    We used the Super Sabrelite, AWESOME!
    They are bright, have a great range and take 3 D size batterys and they last. Waterproof, gasproof (Made for use in explosive atmospheres) and are TOUGH!
    I once dropped one over 200ft off a cliff during a rescue. We found it the next day, I still use the thing to this day......... THERE WAS NO DAMAGE AT ALL!!
    Though I think you will pay around the 150-200 USD range for one.

Doc.

9. publicenemy1925

publicenemy1925
    from OKC, OK

I'm a huge fan of the LED. Super brite, batteries last forever. Use mine everyday in the shop. As a huge bonus, when I drop it on the shop floor, it always works.

10. Master of None

Master of None

Check Galls, they supply fire,police and emt gear. Check into some of the fire rescue type rechargeable flashlights. They work great and you can drop them off a roof top and into a fire and will survive(still worked) . www.galls.com

11. HotRod31

HotRod31

For the money its hard to beat a Maglight, either Regular or LED. The newer LED's with 3 watt diodes are much brighter than the cheapos with 3, 5 ,9 diodes.

Later, Mark

12. NM Sandrail

NM Sandrail
    Member Emeritus

Hi Everyone,
    This might be a bit off topic as for useage...but I have been buying these $3.49 Rayovac LED flashlights at WallyWorld (camping section). They are usually red and gray and fit in the palm of your hand.. Plastic body that won't short anything out... Been using them in engine work and close quarters and have a couple of them over 2 years old and still working great. Also am a District Camping Chrm with Scouting so they get a lot of useage camping. They are bright and the longest lastest LED flashlights I have ever seen.... Worth a look at that price.. Will photograph one tomorrow and attach photo to this posting...duane:)

13. Krypton bulb twin D-cell !! I get em from the LAWSON supply dude that sells me bolts and drill bits >>>>.