Register now to get rid of these ads!

Boca Raton Area HAMBERS??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Arrowood Rod & Kustom, May 8, 2010.

1. so I just finished my associates degree and have been trying to figure out where to go from here, do I stay in state (Michigan) and get my bachelors at a school close to home or do I move out of state like I've always wanted. The plan was to go out to Cali but I missed the deadline to apply for schools out there so would have to wait until winter to apply, but I applied for Florida Atlantic University because from what I've seen and heard its a great school and I got accepted but I dont know anybody in Florida and havent been there in 7-8 years..

so I thought maybe this would help the decision as I'm running out of time, how many HAMBERS are there in Boca Raton or close by and hows the car life down there meaning is there a lot of cruises, shows, shops, clubs, hangouts...etc I'll be turning 22 here in about 12 days so I'm still a young guy but do enjoy learning from the older guys, obviously the car thing wont be my only reason but I'm huge into cars so it will help

2. Scott Miller

Scott Miller
    from Tampa, Fla

There are a couple of south fla clubs that will probably chime in and give you more info than I can, but the cool hangout down that way is Kreepy Tiki lounge and tattoo. They hold traditional rockabilly shows and I think some car shows. I went and saw Wayne Hancock there last year.

Good luck with the relocation!

3. zzford

zzford

There is quite a bit of car life in South Florida. I live in the West Palm Beach area, just north of Boca. Many cruise nights, a lot of shows, the first Saturday of the month there is a very nice cruise night in Jupiter, about 30-40 miles north of Boca. Usually count on 250-300 or more cars. Of course, there is year round cruising. Although I don't get out as much as I used to, you can find something to do every nite of the week.

4. rad, thanks for the info..thats one big plus for me all year round cruising not having my cars parked for 6 months of the year

5. squigy

squigy
    from SO.FLO.

My daughter goes there FAU.I live in West Palm Beach also.There is lots to do and a few shops here and near FAU ..you can always come up and hang out with us.Let me know when you get down here and i will give you my celly number..here is our car clubs site www.salvagerz.com

6. that'd be awesome! and very nice site by the way

7. oldandkrusty

oldandkrusty

I generally spend the winter months in Boca and have for the past several years. The winter climate is fantastic for us Northerners, a definite plus. However, I don't think you will find any hot rod activities in the immediate Boca area. I hate to say this, but the only car things the people in this town seem to care about is if it was made in a foreign country and how much does it cost! I've never seen more Ferraris, Lamborghinis, Mercedes, Porsches,Maseratis than I have down here. They are everywhere.

There is some hot rod activity further north, as others have noted. There also seems to be some activity down south around Ft. Lauderdale.

In any event, the excellent winters in Boca will more than make up for the lack of hot rod goings-on. I hope someone will chime in with a more upbeat view as I certainly would like to get involved with some real car people.

Good luck...

8. flathead49s

flathead49s

:cool: hey man we're a small club (ALTERED IRON ) up here in ocala about 4 hrs north its a little bit of a ride but we're throwin a little dirt trackin,rockabillyin,beer drinkin car show/party on may 29th ,a few weeks back we did a show with garlits turned out pretty good this should be even better ,info:[email protected]

9. wont be down there until August but thanks for the heads up

10. slimneverdies

slimneverdies
    from Miami, Fl

Dont worry, just 25-30 min drive south you'll find there is a growing community of old hot rods. If you go by Yarils Customs (tylerdroben) who is a HAMB member down in Hialeah, you'll see that there are a ton of hot rods down here.

11. sounds great! any other "tourist" spots I should check out while I'm down there, plan is to fly out there in June and get everything finished up with the college and spend a week or so out there and check out the area

12. Kona Cruisers

Kona Cruisers

I'm saying this in no way to offend anyone....

evidently since my wife is Jewish she says when we retire IT has to be Boca... She says where all good Jews go to die...'lll be there in about 30 years....

13. I'll be flying down there with a few friends from June 14th-June 17th...any car cruises or anything going on? mostly will be in Boca & Ft.Lauderdale

14. 1 week until I'm down there :)

15. be there tomorrow until Thursday

16. had fun, love the area but didnt see a single classic car or hot rod while I was down there and we went to 5 different citys, as soon as I got back in Michigan I saw 7 classics on the e-way on the way home from the airport

17. harp

harp

i live in hollywood,20 -30 minutes south, friday evenings at tower shops in davie,[thats west broward] 595 west and just south on university. its an early crowd. thins out by 8-9 pm. check out ted vernons in north miami, dozens of classics for sale

18. Mr.1961

Mr.1961

Boca Raton legend 25+ years here..... :D

19. krashman

krashman

Check out the Monterey Club in Ft Lauderdale, also home to the Saints and Sinners CC. Its my brothers place. Usually old cars out front. Its in the same building as The Kreepy Tiki. Its kind of a rockabilly bar. Lots of good bands and pin up shows. I live in Boca also. There are a lot of cars down here. They are around. When you get down, give me a shout. 954-868-8131.

Craig

20. sounds good, thanks and badass truck by the way!

21. 59 brook

59 brook

due to the heat summers are a little slow but as stated the tower shops gets a few hundred cars every friday night check out flacarshows.com or flcarshows.com . i'm down in hollywood also