Register now to get rid of these ads!

I scored big.....I think?!?!?!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by brett4christ, Jul 31, 2010.

1. Scored this at a yard sale today. Handyman retiring and moving to the coast. He has no shop there, so everything had to go. Got it for $75 and he helped me load it! Now I can start painting pinstripe panels and run air tools!

5hp - 60 gal Sanborn Blackmax, about 15 years old.

[​IMG]

Couldn't wait to get it installed, so had to wait to get this pic. Set in place. but have to get it wired and plumbed.

2. Excellent.
    I'm happy for you.
    :)

3. edgeabilly

edgeabilly

I think 75 is a score!!...:D

4. crapshoot

crapshoot

nice score for 75 bucks

5. He shoots he scores!

6. G V Gordon

G V Gordon
    from Enid OK

What's it doing in the kitchen?

7. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Winner of the bargain of the day contest for sure. That thing will run you out of the shop hammering away in the corner though.

8. What he said

9. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

My brother bought one like that at a farm supply store-he moved south- I bought it from him(never heard it run)cheap. NOISYEST thing in the world. Had to build a box around it to quiet it down. Just a warning-it might rattle everything off your bench onto the floor. Use concrete anchors to attatch it to the floor. Drain the water out of that thing- you might be supprised. Change the oil too. Spit and polish that thing-it looks filthy in your CLEAN shop. It``s always cool when you get new tools.

10. wlspdshop

wlspdshop
    from Missouri

11. JOECOOL

JOECOOL

The good thing is now you can start buying air tools,maybe that isn't a good thing.Keep the oil changed and it will probably last forever. Good buy!!

Last edited: Jul 31, 2010
  12. johnk320

johnk320
    from Erie PA

GV Gordon -

Probably there with the other appliances... dishwasher for a parts washer and oven for powder coating! Isn't that how all our kitchens are set up???

brett4christ - Niiice! Enjoy!

13. Larry T

Larry T

Yep, they are decent compressors. I've had one for about 15 years too. Had to put a motor on it once, but's that's all the trouble it ever gave.
    It just about scared me to death the first time I turned it on. Most older compressors sound like they're turning about 200 rpm and this one sounded like it hit 6000. I thought it'd blow up before the water got hot, but it's still going.
    Larry T

14. Now that your the top cat that's bragging about his cool ass air compressor !!! You have been elected to doanate all of your time and labor for free to all of your buddies to paint their cars !!! >>>>.

15. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Awesome score Brett! I don't know what I would do without a compressor.

16. Good Deal,,,,but,,,,,it might run hot right up at the wall like that. As for noise and vibration, put some thing under the feet, like a heavy slice of conveyer belt or old firehose,,,, if you haven't already. A hockey puck works too.

17. RocketPinstriping

RocketPinstriping
    from Waco Tx

i think score is an understatement :) still needs flames and striping though ;) we have a similar model that we use and havent had 1 problem out of it and have had it for a good while now... i think we gave $150 for it

18. chaddilac

chaddilac

I've got the same one... it's a workhorse!! Nice score!!!:D

19. I do not have the same compressor, but I did mount mine in the basement of my house (garage is a two-car and attached to the house). This free'd up space in the garage and I can't even hear the compressor running. I also moved the central vaccuum from the garage to the basement.

Looks like a smokin' deal to me.

20. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I mounted mine on a piece of plywood, which floats on a dozen old Cadillac flathead valve springs. Mine is a two stage that used to make the concrete slab garage floor shake, and the rumbling was incredibly loud. floating it on springs turned it dead quiet, the loudest part of the compressor now is the air intake.

21. Get score,,but isn't that gonna be loud inside the shop? HRP

22. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

I have the same one ,Not a bad compressor .Dual stage is better but Im not rich ,Will keep up with Da ,s Wire it in with 220 ....... Only had to replace control head once.....Enjoy

23. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

Damn... Nice score!

-Brad

24. AAFD

AAFD
    from US of A

Good score. Everyone on here has great advice. Putting it in the corner does two things: No air circulation in the corner, gets the compressor hot quickly. And it amplifies the noise like a theatre. It will rattle around and vibrate, so be sure to not let it come in contact with your bench or walls. Mounting it on something soft like rubber pads or something will undoubtedly keep you from hating it. I like the Valve Springs method! Next time you're buzzing down the interstate and see a "road gator" aka: piece of semi-truck tire tread on the highway, stop and pick it up. You can use it for free rubber isolators for the feet of the compressor. Also, make sure you run a good water drain that is easily accessible, and possibly drains the water outside so you don't have a mess to clean up. Get yourself a good filter setup for it from your local welding shop or Grainger, etc. I suggest using a manifold with quick connects so you can run multiple hoses off the manifold. This keeps you from having to change tools contantly, you can have your air grinder, air cut-off, air drill, and air blower all connected with hoses of their own. I buy my hoses on sale at Harbor Freight. Get the Black Goodyear hoses...they are great, and only $9.99 on sale, can't beat em. I also recommend using Wurth brand quick-couplers...they have a button on the side for releasing them, and you don't have to push the button to insert the male plug. Happy compressing!

25. Good one, GV. It's actually in the garage, just placed inside the bargain countertop I got at Lowes.

Thanks all for the advice on installation and tips to keep it quiet and cool. Before I put it in the garage, I did a pretty thorough cleaning of the inside of the tank. Lotsa rust nuggets and orange "milk" out of it. The previous owner probably never bled the water out! It does have a nice regulator and filter/separator. I'll keep a close eye out for some "gators" and might hit up the local pic-a-part for some valve springs. I did put a heavy felt weatherstripping around the counter cutout.

The other option is to build a mini-deck and shelter, and mount it outside the garage. Any thoughts?

Lastly, what brands of spray guns should I look for? What should I stay away from?

26. Jalopy Jim

Jalopy Jim

When you anchor bolt them to the floor is vibration isolators ( kinda like rubber washers ) on the bottom and top of the mounting flange it cuts the noise down greatly. Also built a bigger air filter helps some also.

jim h

27. SMOKINFLATHEAD

SMOKINFLATHEAD
    from SOCAL

Good on ya Brett, I have the same brand compressor, 80 gal. 2 phase, 6.5hp, When it kicks on and people aren't ready, funniest thing :D. I'm use to it. But, I've never had another so I would know what else to expect. Oh, by the way paid around $800.00 for mine. So thank God for that blessing. Jay

28. dadseh

dadseh

mounted on a tyre (tire.. US sp.) it should run quiet as a church mouse!

29. 58 Yeoman

58 Yeoman
    from Lacon, IL

I've got a similar one that I bought in the early 90's, I think. It blew a reed valve while it was still under warranty, so they replaced the whole head. It blew again after warranty, so I miked the valve, and made one from a feeler gauge. It's still working and holding pressure after all these years. I have mine mounted on two 2x4's with rubber under that; it's noisy, but works fine.