Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Swapmeets? What do you expect from them?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by curbspeed, Jul 27, 2010.

1. Hello fellow Hambers, I have been around this game for a long time. I am considering the prospect of starting a couple of swapmeets here in Southern Arizona. (Tucson area) I have previous experience in organizing events in the past(Hotrod-A-Rama in the Northwest) This area is ripe for a high quality well organized swapmeet. The economy seems like it would support a venture that would help car guys get rid of unwanted parts and projects to folks that wanted and needed car stuff. My question to all of you is:

What do you expect from a swapmeet?
    What dollar amount do you feel is appropriate to get into a swapmeet?
    Booth space? How much room do most people need?
    How much are you willing to pay for a booth space?
    What bugs you about swaps that you have been to in the past?
    What year cutoff for parts to sell at the swap? (1972?)
    What really bugs you about the swaps you have sold at in the past.
    What additional things would you like to see at a good swapmeet that you have not seen at other swaps ?
    How many passes do you expect for a weekend when you buy a booth space?
    What motivates you to get your stuff together, price it, get it in the truck and get your ass out there to sell it?
    These are just starter questions. I would also like for you to tell me what are currently the best swapmeets in the country.
    I have been to a helluva lot of the Portland Swapmeets in Oregon, Swaps in Washington State, Pomona, Father's Day Swap in L.A.
    Let's here your feelings about them. I need the feedback to get started in this venture. Let's hear it!!!!!

2. 69fury

69fury

-delete, braincramp. Everytime i go to the Lawrence Swamp Meet all i expect is to be disappointed.

3. And when you go to that swapmeet what do you contribute? Do you just want to buy or are you willing to get you extra stuff together and actually sell it off?

4. krooser

krooser

Here's a few suggestions... i have a little experience both selling and promoting. I ran an indoor/outdoor swap twice a year in my hometown for four+ years, I used to work for the Iola Old Car Show in the office ( a big midwest show) and Cliffy and I promote the Symco Shakedown Show/Swap.

First you need to set a date... it's tuff not to interfere with other events but sometimes you just have to bite the bullet.

A 15x30 space would be nice.

I've found that NOT having reserved spots make everything flow a little smoother....park 'em as they come in like a drive-in movie.

The Roasters club in Minnesota has a dynamite swap every fall... everybody pays to get in the gate... vendors and spectators ($6.00?) but the spots are free... I always take about 30 feet for my pickup and trailer.... they give you what you need.

I charged $20.00 back in the 90's for an indoor 10x20 spot... outdoors a 10X30 was $15.00.

Our spots at Symco are 15X30 and are $10.00 and you have to buy a weekend pass for $10.00 per person. You can camp in your spot for free.

I don't like to rent to toy vendors... there are too many of 'em and, if space is limited, most guys gripe that there aren't enough 'real' parts vendors.

You have to have insurance...

You have to advertise...

5. Krooser is smartish. thats what I was goig to type!

Broadway doesn't charge the actors to perform, why should you penalize the vendors to sell!?

6. Thanks Krooser for your input. I will be monitoring all of this and gaining insight.( I agree. I don't like toy vendors as well)

7. Just sold at a low key swap this weekend. Spots were 20 bucks, several folk could share a spot. They had a grill going and allowed grills for the sellers. No charge to enter. Was the best swap I have been to in years.

8. I don't know if all of the meets work this way, but the Reno meet only gives the Vendors an hour lead on the deals before the public is let in. Gives the average Joe a shot at those elusive deals.

PM Lowriders Art Gallery, he and I were discussing which swap meets were the best and why during our 17 hour road trip to Salina this past weekend. He hits several every year, he is headed to the Reno/Sacramento meet this week.

9. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

The Big 3 in San Diego is a great swap, in that the spaces are big and walk-in free. County does charge for parking. I am a regular swap meet type. Have been selling more recently because my finances are getting tight. Paying up to $25 for a 202x20 spot is good. Need room to park a full size pick up and spread stuff out. The spots like at Goodguys in Pleasanton,CA are too small-no room for truck with stuff to sell with high space charge. I know that events combined with car shows, etc draw a lot of people, but if you can't get your truck in and stuff out what good is it? Plus, big events draw a lot of lookie Lou types rather than real buyers. Car guys at a show are less likely to buy stuff because lack of room to haul stuff. Really sucks when rows & spaces are not clearly marked. Also, need port a johns at both ends of swap area. Over priced food/drink , sometimes controlled by whoever owns site, turns people off too. Not enough signs, workers to let everyone know where to enter, etc. The big Reno Swap coming up this Sunday at the ARCO Arena and is run by a H.A.M.B.er. Might want to check it out and see how they handle things. I will likely be there as a seller and buyer.

10. Steves32

Steves32
    from So Cal

Only car related stuff- I hate rows & rows of toys & non-car collectibles or just junk.
    Start it early! 5am works.
    Inexpensive spaces & cheap entry for buyers. Don't rape them to park & then to enter the swap.
    How about a discount if you bring multiple friends in 1 car?
    Fair food prices. Not everyone brings a cooler. I'm sick of $9.00 beers & $14.00 hot dog combos.

11. billsill45

billsill45
    from SoCal

Having been a buyer at more swap meets than I care to think about and a seller at a few, here are a couple of thoughts:

Limit the number of toy and collectible vendors and perhaps designate a specific area for them. Most buyers are there for the cars, parts and hard-to-find stuff ... there are a million vendors on Ebay that will be happy to sell you Hot Wheels and all the other crap.

If the vendor is not selling auto-related items, refer them to the closest flea market.

Don't schedule your events too frequently. I've been to the Pomona swap many times over the years and it seems as if it isn't nearly as good as it used to be from a buyer's viewpoint. Pomona happens about every six weeks and it's mostly the same vendors hauling in the same tired junk every time. In my opinion, the best swaps from both a buyer and seller's perspective are the annual events like LARS or Back To The Fifties. Scarcity creates demand.

Lay out the grounds so that the concessions and port-a-potties are centrally located. Nothing kills the buzz like having to hike a mile to buy a beer or "return" it.

A facility that has free buyer/spectator parking is a big plus for all. Los Angeles County Fairplex charges $8 or $9 to park plus it's another $8.00 admission to the Pomona swap. That doesn't start the buyers out in a mood to spend money once they're inside.

12. AAFD

AAFD
    from US of A

What do you expect from a swapmeet? Good AUTOMOTIVE PARTS... not trinkets, windchimes, rustic art, etc. Around here they sell out of vendor spaces before I have a chance to register. So I can't sell my GOOD car parts because some asshat is selling ball point pens!
    What dollar amount do you feel is appropriate to get into a swapmeet? Spectators= FREE or $1. The cheaper, the more foot traffic you'll have.
    Booth space? How much room do most people need? Enough room for a pickup truck and a typical car hauler or utility trailer is mininum.
    How much are you willing to pay for a booth space? $20-30 per spot
    What bugs you about swaps that you have been to in the past? See 1st answer.
    What year cutoff for parts to sell at the swap? (1972?) That would be nice, but are you going to inspect every trailer or pickup bed for pre 72 parts? Too hard to enforce, but atleast advertising it as a '72 & earlier swap meet might keep the import guys and Fobody Mustang vendors out.
    What really bugs you about the swaps you have sold at in the past? The toy vendors and big parts companies. I think there shouldn't be any toy vendors at all. I can get a Hotwheels at WalMart. The big parts companies should all be put in one area in the corner, I never buy from them, I can get the same part they sell for cheaper somewhere else.
    What additional things would you like to see at a good swapmeet that you have not seen at other swaps ? A "Traditional" section, for people who have nothing but the good stuff to build real hot rods.
    How many passes do you expect for a weekend when you buy a booth space? 2 minimum
    What motivates you to get your stuff together, price it, get it in the truck and get your ass out there to sell it? If the weather is going to be good.
    These are just starter questions. I would also like for you to tell me what are currently the best swapmeets in the country.
    I have been to a helluva lot of the Portland Swapmeets in Oregon, Swaps in Washington State, Pomona, Father's Day Swap in L.A. Pate Swap Meet in Fort Worth is the only "big" one I've been to. It's big, and you'll spend all day there, your feet will hurt, and you'll empty your wallet, but you'll have to wade through a sea of junk before you find what you want.\

Just my $.02

Last edited: Jul 28, 2010
  13. Steves32

Steves32
    from So Cal

You know what I'd like to see? Several event sponsored golf carts w/ a flat bed on the back or trailer that can help buyers lug that hood or 4 tires or engine block back to their car. Charge a small fee for the convience. I could have used it when I bought a hood & pair of fenders for a 55 Chevy cheap at Pomona. Yea- you can wait to the end to pick up your shit but I leave by noon. I'd pay for this service.

14. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

i see a lot of clever kids in golf carts with a small bed or trailer and sign that says "hauling $5" on it at the local swap meets. not a bad idea and beats the hell out of selling lemonade. if i bought a large part, i'd pay for that in a second.

15. AAFD

AAFD
    from US of A

They have free parts hauling at Pate. A bunch of guys with flatbed golf carts, or golf carts with little 4x8 trailers all on radio dispatch. They'll take your stuff to the gate near the parking lot, or to your vendor spot. They also have a forklift or two for big stuff.

16. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

yep, what he said.

17. All you guys say there has to be car parts... car parts don't sell, that's why I have toys, models, books and things with me. Or I can't sell them for even what the you-pull-it yard charges for the stuff - if I can't get what they get for it, I'm going to scrap the shit, frankly. Because I bring both with me it's easy to see what sells and what I keep taking back home at the end of the day. Doesn't seem to matter what I bring or how it's priced, I've literally told people make an offer a few times and they can't even say "how about a dollar" on something I very likely would have sold for a dollar. The last show I did I sold two hotwheels cars and thought that was all I was going to sell, until a guy walked up and wanted a set of hubcaps as I packed up. Maybe it's just living in the rectum of New York state that makes that a problem, who knows.

What do I expect at a swap meet? A cheap ($20 or less) spot I can park on and set up a 10x10 popup and have room for some stuff on each side of me on the ground, bathrooms with actual plumbing somewhere I don't have to walk half a mile to get to, if the swap can be set up so that people have to pass by to go to something else (from the parking lot to the car show, for instance) so much the better. I expect to make a few bucks on the day, but not to get rich and retire from it. A food vendor with reasonable prices, or the ability to set up a camp stove or a grill. A minimum of bullshit. And potential customers who's wallet isn't tighter than an engine that's sat outside with the head off since 1956 would be nice.

The swaps I don't go back to are the ones that charge a lot for the spot and I don't sell much even when the economy is good - and the ones that are the second and third swaps at the same venue, because the sales are always less (people seem to be lazy and assume they've seen your stuff already, I guess, even though I mix stuff around and always bring a few new things with me). If I go, the weather and turnout are nice, and I still lose money I usually don't come back.

For instance, one park here they have an AACA show, an all-Ford show, and an all-Mopar show, each one about two weeks apart. The first show is $10 for a spot, the second $25, the third $30. The first one even in lousy weather this year I did $50. Nice weather last year the Ford show I didn't even make the spot price back, so I didn't waste my time this year - I've done that show three times and did miserable two out of three of them, so I'm done, the only way I'll ever go back is if the spots are free. I've never even bothered with the Mopar show, I figure it will be the same thing as the Ford show. The street rod club used to do a show at the same park that was free for vendors and they always got the most vendors and the best turnout, but now that we have the Syracuse Nationals, they gave up having a show. I don't even know if the club still exists.

18. I went to the Goodguys Scottsdale last year, the 2-3 lanes of old parts swappng was nice.
    Filtering out the chatch/Raiders gear/framed art is one thing on top of the list.
    A swap that is a great mix of parts would be cool, if you go to the LBC swap it's 90% Chevy parts. Though it's easy to walk and there is a nice car corral, also I do not like the let newer cars in.
    Also see how the Trompers Hot Rod swap, really small nice bunch of people and parts.

19. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Over priced food is one of my major gripes,I can deal with the toy vendors but refuse to buy any high priced food. I usually eat before going in and will buy something to drink but thats it.

20. If toys and "antique" household items are allowed, place them in a seperate designated area. Parking should be free. Admission should be reasonable $5.00 to $10.00. Booth space reasonable $20.00 and up depending on size. Two free admission tickets with each booth purchase. Enforce the "No wagons in buildings" and "No dogs" signs that are normally posted. If the typical high priced food is offered provide adequate seating. Pyscho mini bike and the like riders, should be banned.

21. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

car parts and related,,no crap someones emptying out of there garage ,,or Venders sell Knock off handbags etc..

If I pay parking ,,not getting in fee

Gate fee ( with above excluded ) $5

As Im there to spend $$ and if its all crap not paying $20 for nothing

The people hosting the swap make the money on the spaces ,,so

$40 or 50 bux for a space

22. Kerry67

Kerry67

Keep the spots cheap to get in as many vendors as possible. Keep the spectator entry reasonable, especially if you have to pay to park. I don't mind toys, memorabilia and such as long as it is not all new hotwheels, etc.....Vintage toys and collectables (auto related of course) are cool. Plus, I am always looking for garage art (signs, pictures) so that is fine with me as well. Its just when you see a million new hotwheels, etc, it gets annoying.
    Allow people to bring food, and drinks. Sometimes, it is hard in this economy to shell out $20-$40 to feed yourself if you are going to be there all day. Plus it cuts into money people have to spend on goods. So keep food prices reasonable if you are selling food. Plus if it is reasonable, you may actually sell MORE.

And ADVERTISE THE HELL OUT OF IT !!!

As for the post above me. My wife makes handbags, clothes, jewelry, etc....for the "kulture" lifestyle. I know many here hate that but it gets her involved, and she will then enjoy a day at a swapmeet with me if she can sell or she can find stuff like that when we just go to shop. Gotta have something for everyone including the wives if they choose to go. But, it is not a garage sale so household crap, and the like, should not be allowed.

23. 40fordtudor

40fordtudor

oh yeah---just car stuff. leave the household crap at home or take it to a flea market.

24. 48 Poncho

48 Poncho
    from Tennessee

Used to be good. Now I expect to see very little that is in good shape at a decent price for me and the seller and a lot of overpriced junk and tons of Taiwan and China stuff.

48 Poncho

25. Slow55

Slow55

I dont like to see a lot of garage sale items either, but if you're too restrictive, you will have many empty spaces and your follow up meets will have less vendors because of less foot traffic expected. Most rules state at least 50% should be automotive. Many if not the majority of the spectators are there to LOOK only and impulse buying will snag a few. Many sales are to first time buyers just getting into cars as a hobby. If you charge a large fee for parking and then admission, they will not come. Most of the early sales (Friday or setup day) are between vendors. A few stated a15x30 spaces would be good. Damn, that would be huge in camparison to the spaces sold at most events. A typical space in a paved parking lot is a ONE CAR parking space(9x18) and they sell for $35 in advance. 10x18 grass spaces $35 in advance. These $$ are taken from a large promotor in the Dallas/FTW area.

What I hate:

$3-$4 Soft Drinks
    $10 Burgers
    $10 parking
    Any gate admission to the meet
    Men too lazy to walk that ride around in battery operated wheel chairs.
    Kids on mini bikes and driving golf carts
    Loud suck ass music from the drunks always next to me or close by.
    Porta-Pottys that don't get emptied or cleaned.
    People that piss on toilet seats

26. brad chevy

brad chevy

Swap meets are for car related items,not flea market junk,advertise as a antique and cars related item meet only, Have descent parking,not having to walk 1/2 mile to gate,no charge for parking,$5 maximum price at gate. 15x30 vendor spots,let your vendors set up day before event,food vendors with realistic prices,no damn $8.00 egg&cheese sandwiches,wide isles are a must,plenty of garbage barrels,bathrooms convenient for vendor and buyers.No damn golf carts and 4-wheelers and mimi bikes running around,handicapped scooters only.no idiots walking around putting their flyers for their events on windshields in parking lot,if you allow other event advertising hand it out at the gate.once you set and post the rules for the vendors and public,stick to them,do not start catering to friends or certain vendors,it turns off other vendors and you lose the little guys and you lose it all,Have a descent car corral,$15 a spot and do not let any cars or trucks to be in the car corral over a certain year,pisses me off to go to the car corral and all you see are 97 and up Cameros and damn 5.0 Mustangs.Once you set a date to have the meet stick to it,swapmeets that flip-flop theirs dates around don"t last long.Remember your vendors and the public are the most important key to successful swapmeet,If you charge a man with 3 of his kids coming to the swapmeet $5 to park,$8 each to get in the gate,he has already spent $37,doesn"t have nothing to show the first row of vendors he walks past don"t have a chance in hell to get in his wallet at all.Don"t be in this venture only for the money like a few of the swapmeets we have here in Fla are .Whereever you set it up at get in good with the locals,makes everything go smoother.Good luck!

27. Bass

Bass
    from Dallas, TX

Best HOT ROD swap meet in the world, bar none: LA Roadster Show swap meet.

Here's the other big ones that I can think of:

Pate Swap Meet, Fort Worth, TX
    Hershey, PA
    Carlisle, PA
    Portland, OR
    Turlock, CA
    Big 3, San Diego

I've been to a few of those, and I think the key is going to be getting people to actually come out and buy stuff. I think that's one of the big reasons the LA Roadsters swap is so good...there are a LOT of heavy hitters out there looking to buy, so it brings out a lot of good stuff you don't see anywhere else. That and the fact that it's in So-Cal, which is historically been full of hot rods and parts.

28. 66L-79

66L-79

Someone may have already said this but has anyone thought about having Ford parts in one area,Chevy in one area etc. and the ones with both have a area for them, or maybe 30's, 40's, etc. may not work but when someone is looking for certain parts they do not have walk the hole swapmeet unless they want to.

29. bluardun

bluardun
    from tucson az.

I like the way you think. I quite agree with you. Would like to sit down and discuss your project with you. I think I would be able to contribute some positive input.
    If you find time call (520) 609-2594 Tucson

30. billsill45

billsill45
    from SoCal

I would add to this list the Iola, WI swap sponsered by Old Cars Weekly, for the reasons stated by Bass. It's big, it's only once a year and it attacts a big turnout of vendors and buyers. I went many times when I lived in the Midwest. Best of all, every time I would find a lot of really cool stuff! Vendors that I knew did pretty well, also.