Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1957 Chevy Pickup

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TaylorCrawford, Jul 6, 2010.

1. TaylorCrawford

TaylorCrawford

So Im thinking the first major thing Im going to do is get the rearend figured out. Im not sure what exactly I wanna do. Right now it has a stick rearend with 4:56 gears. It lags like hell. What kidn of rearend could I put in it? Ive heard I can maybe just get it re-geared?

2. Mr. Jean

Mr. Jean

Don't know if it will help your thinking, but here's what's in mine. 350/with 350 turbo and 29" tall tires out back. It was running at close to 3300 rpm's at 65mph with 4.10's in it. I switched them out for some 3.42's just last week, much better now. Around 2700 now and still enough gear for cruising on the streets. Just an FYI on some numbers that might help you out.

Oh ya, mines a camaro 10 bolt 8.5 setup.

3. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

I'm a little late to the party, but I rewired my '55 with a harness like from The Truck Shop. It was a stock type replacement harness. All connectors were already there, all wiring bundled, routed and wrapped. It was $200 from a local chevy truck place, Dixie Truckworks. It was pretty easy considering I'd never rewired one before. Good luck!

4. TaylorCrawford

TaylorCrawford

How would a posi rear end work on this? I heard the back end of the truck is too light and it would just spin the tires. Is this true?

5. Mr. Jean

Mr. Jean

True, trucks are lighter in the rear, but better to have both tires trying to hook up, than one just spinning without a posi, right?

With the posi, you can stay hooked up better than without. Kind of like big tire versus smaller tire.

I have a posi in mine. Posi = positive traction.:D

Last edited: Jul 23, 2010
  6. MEDDLER1

MEDDLER1

I have posi in mine and wouldnt have it any other way!Sometimes the light rear can be fun just pay attention when it is wet out when merging on the freeway!!!!!!

7. Mr. Jean

Mr. Jean

While rereading your thread, you'd mentioned speedometer and gas gauge. You may want to wait on the speedo stuff, until After you get the rear gears you want or you'll have to get it changed/adjusted again. ;)

Also sounds like you're going with the stock tank. Check the ohm's on the tank sender, before buying another gauge if needed. Some older trucks have different senders in the tanks now, it's worth knowing now anyway.

Just some random thoughts here.:D Good luck with it.

8. Antny

Antny
    BANNED
    from Noo Yawk

Last weekend: got a lot of the wiring done (Rebel Wire kit, very nice kit), but man do I STILL hate wiring! I hope to finish it up tomorrow. I highly recommend the Rebel Wire product. They give you PLENTY of wire.

9. TaylorCrawford

TaylorCrawford

Cool, thanks for the advice!

10. TaylorCrawford

TaylorCrawford

The rear end I was thinking of is out of a '88 camero. I think Im gonna get it.:D

11. Mr. Jean

Mr. Jean

Here's a peek at something that he's talking about. Hope that helps.:D

[​IMG]

12. billys54

billys54

13. TaylorCrawford

TaylorCrawford

Cool! Sounds and looks pretty simple! I dont have access to a welder or a tube bender, so I'll have to find a pre-made crossmember. I have to go through the trans and make sure everything is there and working....But I'll worry about that after I get the rearend taken care of.

14. TaylorCrawford

TaylorCrawford

Is your truck a drag car or a normal street driven truck? Just curious...

15. Mr. Jean

Mr. Jean

Just a cruiser/driver.:cool:

[​IMG]

Did the serious drag racing years ago.

[​IMG]

Use my Corvette for the faster rides now.:D

[​IMG]

16. TaylorCrawford

TaylorCrawford

Does anyone have pictures of a Camero rear end in a 57 pickup? Apperently it mounts on top of the leaf springs, and Im not seeing how it would clear the frame. Thanks...

-Crawford

17. A couple photos for reference, stock, then with the stock axle fliped on stock springs and finally stock springs switched to inside of the frame rails with a narrowed 9 in.
    As you can see you'll only have a couple inches when placing the axle on top of the springs, you live with it or "C" notch the frame.

Attached Files:

18. Antny

Antny
    BANNED
    from Noo Yawk

With the axle atop the leaf springs, you should end up with about 2.5 to 3 inches of clearance to the frame rails, with no weight in the bed. I think you'll be good to go, unless you plan on hauling a heavy load.

19. TaylorCrawford

TaylorCrawford

Suddenly Im not all too sure about this camero rear end haha!

20. it bolts right in (2nd gen), go for it, you'll love the difference

21. TaylorCrawford

TaylorCrawford

Im just worried about the frame and tire clearence....

22. Mr. Jean

Mr. Jean

Mine would be of no help, as it's a 4 link air ride setup.:D

23. TaylorCrawford

TaylorCrawford

Lucky! Haha!

24. kemp kid

kemp kid

ill get pics of mine tomorrow, i just rebuilt it seal and bearing wise and spiffed up my gears(3.08's) i have a 12 bolt camaro(3year only) rear end, it mounts on top of the springs yes, i recomend the camaro rear end even tho mines a 12bolt. i love mine

25. TaylorCrawford

TaylorCrawford

Crap...the camero rearend is a 5 lug. The rest of the truck is 6 lug. I dont have the money to get new wheels for it. Oh well....

26. BulldawgMusclecars

BulldawgMusclecars

While an 8.5 10 bolt from a 2nd Gen Camaro/Firebird would be strong enough, I wouldn't even consider using a 3rd gen (82-92) rear in your truck. They are extremely weak, plus being a torque arm style you would have some serious cutting, grinding, and welding to do to mount it on leaf springs. The rear discs on a 3rd or 4th Gen rear can be easily adapted to an 8.5 10 bolt, though. The later PBR style are preferred.

I'm about to start a '57 Chevy truck for a customer (in the next few weeks). Its a 10 year old restoration that was pretty well done, but the new owner wants more modern power and suspension. I'll be pulling out all the original style front suspension, brake system, electricals, engine and trans (a 327 and TH700R4...going 6.0/4L65E), gas tank (going with an under the bed style, since it will have a high pressure pump inside it), and probably the rearend (its a 12 bolt of unknown origin at this point...he wants something narrower). I know freight can be a pain, but from what I have seen these parts are all useable and low mileage...PM me if you need anything in particular.

27. 10secondA

10secondA

im gonna agree with bulldawg here, 7.5 10 bolt rearends are junk would definetly not waste your money on one, i have a 8.5 10 bolt out of a 75 camaro it fits great under the truck.

28. TaylorCrawford

TaylorCrawford

Lots of problems yesterday! The two major ones.....It started spitting dirty black kinda oily water out the pipes, cant tell if its oil. Im thinking new head gaskets. Then the bolt on the INSIDE of the driver side door that holds the hinges broke off, so my door is fucked. I need to put a new door skin on the the driver anyways, so Im guessing the best thing to do is to do that and re-weld the bolt on. I looked threw a few catalougues and coudnt find door skins. Whos done this before and knows where to get the door skins? Thanks!

-Crawford

29. Mr. Jean

Mr. Jean

30. TaylorCrawford

TaylorCrawford

I guess it could be that too. It seems like it runs kinda rich.

I dont need an all new door, just the skin. I cant find em for 1957.