Register now to get rid of these ads!

Where did Chevrolet get their names from???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by heywacha, Jul 27, 2010.

1. Larry T

Larry T

Deuces,
    I don't know if there is a shark called Corvette, but there was a Corvette (concept car) called Mako Shark. It was painted to fade from dark on top to light on bottom.

I don't remember where I heard it, so take it for what it's worth but I remember a story that the guy in charge of the Mako Shark project (Bill Mitchell maybe?) wanted the color to match a mounted shark he had on his office wall. The paint guys tried several times to match it, but not to the MFICs satisfaction. So one time when he left for the weekend, the snatched the shark out of the office, painted it to match the car and replaced it. End of problem.
    Yea, I know it's probably BS, but it's a good story.
    Larry T

2. BulldawgMusclecars

BulldawgMusclecars

You seemed genuinely offended that I dare bring up a "late model" on this forum! Grumpy old fart :)!

3. Bullrack

Bullrack
    from Louisiana

I've always thought it was funny that Chevy had a "Mercury Coupe". So, what would the meaning of "Chevette" be? Steven

4. '46SuperDeluxe

'46SuperDeluxe
    from Clovis, CA

I've been watching a lot of "Madmen" lately to get caught up for the new season. It was real that they just sat around and threw out names to see if any would stick. I read a little piece once about a high paid guy that comes up with names for products professionally, he came up with the Acura brand for Honda. I remember reading about Chrysler during the Lee Iacocca years, when he wanted the name of the car to sound "really American," so he pushed the name "Eagle" through, much to the chagrin of Marketing.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2010
  5. heywacha

heywacha
    from Orange, CA

Cholos
    Have
    Every
    Vehicle
    Raised
    Or
    Lowered
    Every
    Time

6. I always thought many of the names were inspired by the "space age" and moon landing.....names like Galaxy, Meteor, Satelite, Nova, Jetstar, Apollo, Rocket, etc.......

7. BulldawgMusclecars

BulldawgMusclecars

I have read lots of stuff, but I guess I haven't seen any of the instances you mention. Thanks for the heads up. I'm not here to start trouble with anyone.

8. 1957Custom

1957Custom
    from Tulsa Ok

Del Ray is actually a suburb of Detroit

9. Deuces

Deuces

Cheetah! :)

10. Dynaflash_8

Dynaflash_8
    from Auburn WA

Cheap
    Hardly
    Efficient
    Virtually
    Runs
    On
    Luck
    Every
    Time

11. ken1939

ken1939

YES lol, that explains why half the class failed. :D Good teachers are hard to come by. Once again, never live your life based on antecdotal facts.

12. Ocean56

Ocean56
    from Michigan

A bit off-topic, but supposedly the idea for the Chevy bowtie emblem came from wallpaper Billy Durant saw in France, in his hotel room...

13. '46SuperDeluxe

'46SuperDeluxe
    from Clovis, CA

That makes sense, we have a Del Rey SE of Fresno CA, but it's more of a widespot in the road. Literally means of the King "en Espanol," I think. Was or is the suburb of Detroit a ritz neighborhood like Beverly Hills would be out here in the 40's-60's?

14. Francisco Plumbero

Francisco Plumbero
    from il.

I think the employees would have a contest to find these names, or some one stole a phone book from Tiajuana.

15. BAILEIGH INC

BAILEIGH INC
    Alliance Vendor

16. 1957Custom

1957Custom
    from Tulsa Ok

Last I heard it was in the slums

17. Henry VIII

Henry VIII
    from Tulsa OK

Mustang was originally named for the airplane, not the horse.

18. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

ding ding ding ding ding!! We have a winner...

19. Nova
    Omega
    Ventura
    Acadian... in Canada

:D

20. Truckedup

Truckedup

A Mustang is a Falcon with a few extra sheetmetal screws and millions in Ford hype to make you think it's something special.

21. jbergman

jbergman

I know the bow tie pattern came form a wall paper pattern at Hotel in France. But as for as the names, its probably what ever the designer of the car felt was a good idea.

22. ruckusryan

ruckusryan
    from Canada

Mustang Cobra is probably one of the stupidest names going what is it a snake or horse!!!

23. CONNMAN

CONNMAN
    from Lampe,Mo.

In '67 or early '68 there was a nation wide contest to name Chey's NEW 4 X 4 utility vehicle ,,a mail man that traded at my Union 76 Gas Station in Anchorage ,AK ,sent in "BLAZER" ,,which was his last name ,,,he won the contest ,,prize was a new '69 Blazer ,,i gave him a ride downtown to the Chevy Dealer to pick it up ,and have a photo sesion w' the dealer ,,

24. zzford

zzford

Wasn't Del Ray a 50's doowop singer?

25. CraigR

CraigR
    from California

I'd read that the "inspired by the wallpaper in his hotel bathroom in Paris" story was made up, as it sounded better than the truth - someone (maybe his wife) admitted later it was inspired by something he saw in the Sunday supplement - which would jibe with post #57.
    Billy Durant knew the value of a good story!

26. CONNMAN

CONNMAN
    from Lampe,Mo.

There's pictures of that hotel room and close ups of the wall paper design in the G M Museum ,,that hotel is still in operation ,,and that room and it's wall paper walls have been preserved ,,so they say ,,,of coarse ,,you can't ever believe a Frenchman ,,lol,,lol,

27. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Like in the Sunday Comics, "The Belchfire", "Belchfire Motors", and I think one HAMBER uses Belchfire an his handle. Butch/56sedandelivery.

28. Deuces

Deuces

It is........ And alot nicer looking also! :)

29. Thumper

Thumper

Mustang.....a Falcon with lettuce and tomato......:D

Some of those names reflect a lifestyle.......Bel Air, Malibu etc. Some they just pulled outta their ass :eek:

30. Deuces

Deuces

Yep!!! It was and still is.... The hot rod of the skies. :D

Last edited: Jul 27, 2010