Register now to get rid of these ads!

How do you remove $^%&$ powdercoat??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gtkane, Jul 26, 2010.

1. gtkane

gtkane

OK, here's the poop...
    The tank I am using to build my fuel tank is powdercoated bright hoarkin' yellow. I cleaned off areas for welding bungs, etc. with a flap disc on a grinder, but it doesn't "sand off" as much as it melts and oozes to the side...kinda gross, and it stinks bad!

I just don't want to have this bright yellow tank under my ride, cuz, let's face it, it would be like dad after getting out of the shower wearing a towel, he bends down to pick up a nickel....all the attention is focused on something very wrong!

I don't want to just paint it, because I drive some gravel roads, and it would chip back down to yellow again in no time.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

2. Seen it burned off

3. roundvalley

roundvalley

If it doesn"t show that much, how about Rhino coat?

4. henry29

henry29

Knotted wire wheel on an angle grinder, sandblaster, or a 1200 degree oven.

5. RTSrunner

RTSrunner

Kleen Strip Aircraft paint stripper should melt and peel it off.I've done it on powder coated motorcycle frames.Apply stripper WAIT for it to work,covering the part in plastic will help.Scrape and/or hose off.Repeat as needed!
    RT

6. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

If it's like some stuff I just had done lacquer thinner ate it up!! :mad: Lippy

7. Straight Axle Steve

Straight Axle Steve

Yes! What RTSrunner said. Works great. Use it all the time.

8. gtkane

gtkane

Thanks for the replies guys!
    Is that Kleen Strip available in Canada, or is there an equivilent product?

9. I found "brakleen" did a pretty good job of removing powdercoat, of course I wasn't wanting to remove it, when it worked so well.:rolleyes:

10. Hardware

Hardware
    from West Coast

Caswell Super Stripper: http://www.caswellplating.com/powder/s_stripper.html

I've been restoring a 69' Triumph Bonneville and did all of the powder coating on the frame myself. A few of the parts didn't come out so good the first time and I had to re do them. All you have to do is submerge the part in the stripper for about an hour then when you take it, the powder coating rinses clean with a garden hose. It's just that easy. For a fuel tank I'd imagine you'll need a few gallons at least.

11. The real issue is your deeply hiddden issues about dads twig n berries. May need to talk to a shrink about that one!

12. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

Iv re powdercoated stuff without stripping it all off. Works good somtimes and sometimes not.
    Blasting it all off is sure to make a mess.
    I think id paint it.

13. Ramblin Randy

Ramblin Randy

Question for all you powder coat experts.... I'm restore'n a 1966 Ford C-750 large highway truck and I want the wheels to look nice, they are painted factory red/white and I'd like a coating on them that cleans up nice for shows.

Should I powercoat the rims ? Is there any other options ?

I'd go chrome but I want to stay original on the wheels as they are unique.

-Ramblin Randy