Register now to get rid of these ads!

1951 Ford Convertible

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by G.E. Smith, Jul 26, 2010.

1. G.E. Smith

G.E. Smith

I would like to replace the front clip with something that has disc brakes and power steering. I also want to install a 351 or 302 with a C4.
    Would something like a Lincoln Versailles or Granada work?
    I would like to hear from someone that has updated their front end.
    I would prefer not to use GM parts.
    I know there are a lot new kits out there but I don't want to spend big bucks.

2. 49coupe

49coupe

I would also have a look at www.shoeboxford.com it's a site dedicated to shoeboxfords. 302-351 swaps, disk brake kits (Jamco, ECI, etc), MII kits etc has all been covered there in a lot of detail, many, many times.

Unless you're into a clip, check out Jamco suspension. They have the motor mounts, ball joint/disk brake conversion, lowering kits etc. Pricey but well made and application specific.

3. G.E. Smith

G.E. Smith

Thanks for the info, I'm still in the research mode.
    I will check out the shoebox Ford site.

4. pauls fords

pauls fords

Hi I used a 91 Lincoln town car front sub has power steering disc brakes heavy sway bar and the Lincoln has a roller bearing in the floor for the steering shafts,,,,,,I used the 4.6 soch and overdrive,,,Lincoln steering column and master cylinder and booster mounter on firewall don't forget the porpotionong valve for the brake system,,,,,,,,this set up will give excellent ride and handling,,you can cut the coils to give whatever ride height you want,,,buy the whole Lincoln to get the parts you need,,,,also has a 8.8 disc brake rear end that you can get lots of gear ratio I use a 3.50 with overdrive and cut the dash and used the steering mount with some fabrication into my shoebox to hold the steering column I also stripped the wiring harness out completely marked everything and gutted the harness but kept the lights wipers and engine controls,,,fuel injected so had to make the fuelpump fit in the tank,,,not a tire smoker just a cruiser that gets 22 mpg and will still peak the computer at 105 when the engine shuts off,,, also has a rev control in the computer,,,here I go running of at the mouth,,,anyway good luck with your project,,,,every thing is modular plug in with the wiring....Paul

40fordtudor likes this.