Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ford 223 to Saginaw 3 or 4spd? can it be done, what to do?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Silent_Orchestra, Aug 23, 2009.

1. Silent_Orchestra

Silent_Orchestra
    BANNED
    from Omaha, NE

Ok, I've got a 223 Ford 6cyl, it came from a '60 F100 with a 4spd manual...My goal is to have the heart from my truck live on in a new project... My Question is, and I've heard mention of doing this before, but no details... How would one go about mating a Saginaw (or Muncie) 3 or 4spd to a 223?

2. Anything can be done. But why? There are plenty of fully syncro ford three and four speeds that will just bolt up. OldWolf

3. Silent_Orchestra

Silent_Orchestra
    BANNED
    from Omaha, NE

Could you list a couple to look out for? I guess bolt on is easier... And from what little I've read on the subject, the Muncie and Sag input shafts aren't long enough...which is a major issue.

Would it be wise to find a car bell? or are there good trannies that will bolt up to the truck bell?

4. Any ford top loader trans made from64 up will fit.your bell we just sold a 64 pk that had a full stn trans from the factory.A mustang trans has a factory floor shifter. OldWolf

5. Silent_Orchestra

Silent_Orchestra
    BANNED
    from Omaha, NE

Cool, I know where there are a few top loaders, I'll have to go check 'em out.

6. There's also the older ford trans with borg warner overdrives either the t86 with r10 od, or much sturdier t85 with r11. I think a 4 speed od from 80's granadas can also be used.

7. slepe67

slepe67

You would do best to go with Ford. Even a T5 may work??? Oh, and if you find an extra 4 speed toploader, gimme a heads up! They are non-existant down here in FL! Been looking for 4 months...haha

8. Silent_Orchestra

Silent_Orchestra
    BANNED
    from Omaha, NE

They are close to non-existant here, but I know at the pretty much abandoned scrap yard down the street the old guy who runs the place has trannies and engines horded in the shed in back...And he's easy to deal with, he talks himself down...

9. 58Darlene

58Darlene

Would a c4 from a 66 mustang bolt up to a 223?

10. No the 200 six and 289 have dirrerent bell housing than a 223.

11. If you check with John Mummert of Y-Block fame, he sells an adaptor to mate the T-5 to the 223. That inline lends itself to the 5-speed. I have a 223 mated to the 3 speed with overdrive 4th in my '61. Great 1st gear, good pulling 2nd, too much gear drop between 2nd and 3rd, and not enough difference between 3rd and overdrive 4th. Get a T-5 from a 6-cylinder Mustang with the low 1st gear (3.35) and that 223 wil really jump. A heads up: they don't give away that adaptor, so between it and the transmission, you're looking at some bucks.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2009
  12. reverendjim

reverendjim

do a c 4 and new ring and pinion cheaper easyer and johnny mummet as that adapter too

13. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

I have 2 Ford 3 speed trans sitting here that were behind a Y block I will sell you cheap . The 3 speed trans were very good and strong so I can't figure out why you want to adapt a Chev trans to a Ford . That's too much work !

Retro Jim