Register now to get rid of these ads!

**MORE Door 1950 Mercury Project**

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Arrowood Rod & Kustom, Jul 26, 2010.

1. so I just bought this 1950 Mercury 4 door last night from a guy in Midland,MI. One of my dream car's has always been a 1949-1951 Mercury so when I saw it on Craigslist I knew I had to make an offer on it as it's pretty rare around here to find em for sale or atleast thats what I've found.

A few specs on the car:
    Guy says it's a southern car, but everybody says that
    350 4 bolt main motor & 700r4 trans
    4.27 gears in the rear
    Howe Aluminum radiator
    Lake pipes
    Dummy spots (I have brand new ones that'll go on as these are pretty pitted)
    Bias ply wide whites (soon to have new radial coker wide whites)
    Headlights are frenched (probably will be changed I dont like them sunken in so much)
    H4 Halogen headlights
    Lokar shifter
    Almost all the glass has atleast one crack in it except the front and rear windows
    Came with 4 extra doors and the original front bumper

My plans for the car are to first get rid of the rat rod stickers,remove the rebel flag license plate on the front, take off the front visor and just overall clean it up some and then drive it as is until September and then will tear into it and start the build, may not be the fastest build as I'm 22 years old and work 2 jobs and go to college full time so I don't have much free time lately but hopefully will have it mostly together again for next summer

Future Plans:
    New white walls
    Chrome smoothies with bullet centers
    Complete digital air ride system
    Chopped and converted to a 2 door (will be done by Troy @ Damaged Good Customs in Bay City,MI)
    Some sort of custom grille
    Custom tail lights just not sure what yet
    Fix the frenched headlights
    Clean up the interior
    New shinny paint job, I'm thinking a deep metallic purple but that might change
    and I'm sure there's some other things I'm forgetting

I only took a couple picts with my cell phone, I'll get some better ones later but figured I'd atleast post it up and show you guys

Attached Files:

2. punkabilly1306

punkabilly1306
    from ohio

I thought you were moving to florida?

3. yeah I am, plans changed and didn't get all my paperwork into the college in time so I'll be down there in January kinda bummed but guess I'll at least be here for Christmas which is nice

my car show is next month August 14th you and some friends should come up here and hang out for the day!

4. punkabilly1306

punkabilly1306
    from ohio

cool, you taking the merc' with you?

5. stevechaos13

stevechaos13

It could use a dropped stance and some different caps for sure.
    The paint job's not that bad, but your plans sound cool.
    Get a good deal on it?

6. yeah I want to get it reliable and everything and def. some vintage AC and then trailer it down there

7. yeah I'm thinking I may cut the coils a little this week before a car show on Saturday that I want to attend and get it at least a little lower to the ground...pretty good deal I think, cheapest running four door I've found

8. TexasDart

TexasDart

I would leave the suicide doors....those are cool.

9. yeah I heard that from a few people, I agree they are cool..I did see a few cool chopped four doors online the other day including the one Bo Huff just did

10. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Do as you like, but I would also vote for leaving it a fordor. Something about factory suicides that I just dig.

11. Congrats on your purchase! You have to keep us posted on this one!!!

12. Cool purchase. My fave chopped more-door is the pickle.

13. thanks! I watched your build for awhile now..you did a great job on the conversion

14. chilly1

chilly1
    from Tacoma,Wa

Great score looks pretty well done. I just put bags all the way around my chrysler it's nice to be able to get out of my driveway now!

15. Fordguy321

Fordguy321
    from Arizona

arrowood huh? i have the same name but with two w's! weird

16. teddyp

teddyp

looks good i like your ideals i would leave it a 4 dr merc,s from 49-51 are getting hot lately

17. any ideas for a custom grille and tail lights? I like the Desoto teeth but everyone does it so I want something different...been wondering how a 1950 Buick grille would look with those crazy teeth, then saw one on google..not sure how I feel about it

[​IMG]

18. Check out & join the Merc club on the H.A.M.B.. Lots of grill shots and good ideas on there.

19. Congrats to your purchase. You have good ideas for improvements, however a '50 Buick grille/bumper would not be my choice... That looks way to big and heavy. Instead, take a look at old Barris and Ayala Merc's or other old customs to get some good ideas (use Riksters site!). Then, if you dont want to copy anything thats already been done, take a second and third look at the design you like the most and think about how that design could be improved. To see what I mean, look at Keith Ashley's (FASI here at HAMB) refined clone of Larry Ernest 51 Chev http://public.fotki.com/Rikster/11_..._cars/keith_ashleys_1951/keith_ashleys_harry/.
    The grille on Keith's 51 is custom built and looks even better than the first nice designed custom built by Barris Kustom...

Last edited: Jul 26, 2010
  20. HRod 50

HRod 50

Cool Man!, welcome to the 4 Door Merc CLub.. I love mine...

21. Needs a front bumper too..
    Nice find!

22. front bumper for sure! it came with one though so that's good, just looked at your event coverage I like the grille and front bumper on this Merc a lot

Attached Files:

23. Lowmerc50

Lowmerc50

4 Doors rock.... great find.....

24. I have lots of pic's on the HAMB Merc Club thread,grills,taillights,interiors,chops,hubcaps,etc....Check it out!

25. One more in the works:

[​IMG]

We studied the few we could find, threw away all of those images and went for it.

26. took the car on it's first road trip last night about an hour drive..had a white tail deer run out in front of me, luckily stopped in time but damn near had a heart attack..does anyone make a disc brake conversion for these cars the drums don't stop as fast as I'd like..

[​IMG]

27. my friends Wes, James & I had to drop off a 1954 Chevy BelAir at a shop in Bay City,MI last night and then we hung out at Wes' shop and had planned on getting the Merc lowered a little but we realized it wouldnt get done in time for the Saturday morning car show I want to attend but I did get to get a good look at the frame of the car when we had it lifted, everything was very solid and the floor boards all seem good...so instead of working on the car we spent most of the night eating pizza and drinking beer, so heres a few picts from the night and also a pict of the engine bay since I havent posted one of those yet..we did have one injury though.. I cut my arm on Wes' truck I think a micky mouse bandaid will do the trick ;)

Attached Files:

28. Love my More Door! And yes, Bo Huff's custom chopped 4 door is about the sickest I have ever seen! It just drools Kustom. I thought about a 50 Buick grille, but it does seem a bit long, I wouldn't be able to drop all the way down as the grille would hit before the frame!