Register now to get rid of these ads!

Indiana BMV

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ilinrods41, Jul 23, 2010.

1. ilinrods41

ilinrods41

Just curious if anyone has dealt with Indiana, to obtain a title. I have a 29 model A with vin# but no title. BMV sent me to state cop to do a vin check before they could issue a title. However the cop said I had to get an assembled vehicle title and the vin is useless, WTF. Anyone know the correct procedure in Indiana?

2. coolbreeze1340

coolbreeze1340
    from Indiana

I did not have an issue because I had a title, but how does your 29' A have a vin#? Are you talking about the number on the frame? It seems they don't like that number and short of having the motor with the same number they get funny. When I spoke to the State police by phone they were pushing towards a assembled vehicle title also.

3. Ford-Man

Ford-Man

Just last week I had to deal with titling a Comet I am selling...here is what ya do.

1) Stop at the police station and ask about having a cop come and do a VIN check. It cost me $5

2) They hand you a receipt that shows you paid. Then you call the local cops to stop out. They will fill out an affidavit stating your VIN is clear.

3) Take your bill of sale and affidavit to the BMV. Apply for a title, and away you go.

Indiana is actually fairly easy IMO as long as you have a VIN. I have had to do this 3 or 4 times with no issues. Hell, last few times they did not even look the VIN up on the computer. They just signed off and away they go. The builders title sucks, WAY expensive!!! This way only costs you the tax off of the sale price, the transfer fee, and $5 to the cops.

4. ilinrods41

ilinrods41

Yes, I was told the frame number is to be considered a vin

5. silent rick

silent rick

looks like i need to go to mishawaka next time i need to apply for a title. every branch around here says to go to small claims court to get a judge to compel the state to issue a title. those are the instructions when calling down state to indy also. can't find a single judge to rule in favor.

6. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

uncle scooby had a thread on this awhile back, maybe a thread search?

7. 4gotn1

4gotn1

I have always found it is easier dealing with the county sheriff dept than the state or the city cops. I had the same hassle about a parts truck I had because it wasn't mounted on the frame. He went ahead and did it anyway.

8. coolbreeze1340

coolbreeze1340
    from Indiana

As far as not having a Title, silent rick is correct. My wife works for the court system and they do this all the time. I have never heard of someone being denied on an old car as long as the VIN checks out and they have some sort of Bill of Sale.

9. 33 5 window coupe

33 5 window coupe

last time i did it,they went through the cop stopping thing,and then made me assemble it.then gave me a builders title.next time i went thru broadway title,had no hassle in ind. with it.