Register now to get rid of these ads!

Summer of 69!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kens 50 PU, Jul 16, 2010.

1. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Graduated in 69 and didn't get drafted until 71. "If you can remember the '60's you really didn't experience them!" Had a '65 Falcon 2 door wagon with a built 289 and 4 speed. Things were goooood.

2. Deuces

Deuces

Yep! :)

3. Deuces

Deuces

My favorite was and is the real bluesy "The Pusher" song. Spent a lot of nights partying and cranking that tune up with my headphones on.. :D

4. Wow, holey Batman.
    this thread drifted way OT aye... :eek:

5. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

The "Summer Of '69" ? One Word: WOODSTOCK !

Attached Files:

6. Deuces

Deuces

3 days of rain, mud and drugs.. LOL :) J/K There were lots of great bands doing their stuff... Some of my favorite tunes on the soundtrack are: I'm going home by Ten Years After, Jimi doing Star Spangled Banner on the Guitar and Purple Haze, The WHO doing Tommy... The list goes on.... :)

Last edited: Jul 20, 2010
  7. Chevy called em "SS" wheels....PERIOD. YOU might call em Magnums, but not Chevrolet

I've been refraining from jumping in with these two responses (this, and the one above)...but.
    You COULD order those Chevelle SS wheels on a 69 SS Camaro. In fact, you could also special order a working Cowl Induction hood from a Z-28 for an SS Camaro in 69. And the SS wheels were only 14x7. In fact most the rally type wheels were 14 x 7 in that era on GM A-body cars (442, Chevelle SS, GTO, Buick Gran Sport on the Skylark platform). They were not made into a 15 inch wheel til fairly recently by the aftermarket industry

8. legend

legend
    from Irwin PA

Graduated high school class of 69. :eek: Different time back then would be nice to have those times back. Blasting Iron Butterfly- In A Gadda Da Vita, Hendrix - Doors - Stones on the 8 track. Was makin $2.75 an hour and though I was rollin in dough. Didn't have drive by shootings - didn't have sucide bombers. As Dylan said the times they are a changing.
    There was even a song for those who graduated in 69 by a local Pittsburgh band called the Arondies called Class of 69. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ea9zAdMdUWw

9. xderelict

xderelict
    Member Emeritus

The "Summer of '69" ? One Word: BOOTCAMP !

10. Deuces

Deuces

Thanks Grouch! :)

11. Gerry Moe

Gerry Moe

12. hrm2k

hrm2k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Summer of 69 ? Fighting and dieing for my country on Waikiki beach. Stationed at Hickam AFB for 3 years with my daily driver...65 Sunbeam tiger. It was a bitch but I managed

13. CONNMAN

CONNMAN
    from Lampe,Mo.

Did Joe Cocker do 'She Came In Thru The Bathroom Window" at Woostock ?? or did that song come later ,, those Woodstock videos of Joe Cocker are "Groovy Man!" ,,

14. Another memory/song from the Summer of 69.......Sugar Sugar by The Archies. When I stayed with relatives that Summer, the babe next door that was a couple years older (16ish) would blast it almost every morning, and I'd hear it through the window from the bedroom I stayed in. Whenever I hear that song now, I think of Cheryl

15. Deuces

Deuces

I had that 45...... Till my kid sister broke it... :mad: No biggie... I got it on CD now days.. :D

16. Sorry Groucho,,,I hated bubblegum music then and now,,

The top 10 songs of 69 were

1. Whole Lotta Love - Led Zeppelin
    2. Proud Mary - Creedence Clearwater Revival
    3. I Want You Back - Jackson 5
    4. Honky Tonk Women - Rolling Stones
    5. Bad Moon Rising - Creedence Clearwater Revival
    6. Suite: Judy Blue Eyes - Crosby, Stills & Nash
    7. Dazed And Confused - Led Zeppelin
    8. Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones
    9. Come Together - Beatles
    10. I Can't Get Next To You - Temptations

I gotta say I am a fan of all of them with the exception of the Jackson 5,,so 9 outta 10 ain't bad,,plus it was some of the besr music in my humble opinion. HRP

17. bigkev56

bigkev56

I had a 69 Mach 1 mustang with the 428 and C6 trans, Red with flat black hood (shaker scoop). 3750.00 New !. Great music and great times at US30 Dragstrip in Gary.

18. You missed the "point" obviously:confused:

19. Deuces

Deuces

It was all good! :)

20. Not really,,the song reminds you of a great "Summer of Love",,,and that infatuation with the cutie named Cheryl next door,,what red blooded male wouldn't understand that,,,,we ALL have a story ,,,:)

Songs of our mis-spent youth always trigger emotions and memories of those carefree times,,I didn't intend to throw cold water on you.

Come to think about it,,the song "Judy in Disguise" a year earlier by John Fred and the Playboys evokes the same feelings you discribed,,,I wasn't really crazy about the song but the girl it reminds me of everythime I here the song makes me smile!

Allow me to offer up the Archies song for you,,HRP

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ANtMdzOFIVQ&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ANtMdzOFIVQ&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

21. photofink

photofink

I like bubble gum music cause it reminds me of when I was a baby

22. Gerry Moe

Gerry Moe

23. Deuces

Deuces

I've seen a Dick Cavett show once where Crosby,Stills and Nash showed up the day after the Woodstock concert... These guys still had the mud on their boots from the show.. I thought that was cool...

24. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

CONNMAN...

Cocker actually opened the show, but didn't do "Bathroom Window" at Woodstock (though he probably should have.).

His heavy hitters were "Feeling Alright" and the Beatles closer for the set: His slowed-down version of "With A Little Help From My Friends"...which has since become a super-classic.

I was at KAAY in Little Rock at the time, and one of our intern/engineer's went to spend 3 days of Peace, Love, Truth & Beauty...said it was one big muddy mess. But, on the plus side, there were LOTS of girls !

Jonnie www.legends.thewwbc.net

Attached Files:

25. Deuces

Deuces

Summer of '69 I had a crush on a little German blonde girl named Marrion... Later years and oceans apart, I found out she grew up to be a beautiful bomb shell. She's probably 52 now...

26. Gerry Moe

Gerry Moe

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzNEgcqWDG4

Play in the background

To keep the post on topic, in the summer of 69 I was building a 46 ford coupe and a 47 austin america, I was going into my senior year and was hanging with my girlfriend and best buddy. Pumping gas at a local Texaco and drove a 63 corvair monza. Music was a way to drop out of reality for a while before coming back to the fact that with the draft system you faced the possibility of going to nam. IMO the music of 69 was the best

27. dr john

dr john
    BANNED
    from CSA

Exactly correct. Apparently Mr Deluxe's original post has been deleted,as have more than one of mine, but it doesn't change the truth!

28. 270283

The summer of '69, like the rest of the late Sixties, divided America, as evidenced by this thread. We have not recovered yet, nor do I believe we ever will. As to returning vets being spit on, neither myself or anyone else I know was spit at nor would we have kept walking. Somebody would have gotten their spitter broken. Other than that, as has been said, it was a good time to be a single guy with a fast car and no real responsibilities.

29. Flying A

Flying A

I was 16 in 69. I hung out with a couple of gassers brothers from across the street. Four lane highways were just being built across northern Ohio and they became a test and tune for the injected Anglia. Street racing was serious business. Every car I was around was wicked and evil. I put a 301 sbc in my 54 chevy that year and was hot rodding it before they were ever cool. I truely do not know how I lived through all of that.

30. rixrex

rixrex

67,68,69 The best years ever! even though Viet Nam was going on, we made the best of it..I failed my physical, was 4F, and went to California to work in the Forest Service and worked my way into smokejumping..I drove a 327 55 Chevy sedan, a 283 55 Nomad, a 49 Cadillac to California, and then a 57 Dodge Powerwagon. The coming together of the music, birth control pills and drugs will probably never happen that way again...