Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ford 3-spd + OD toploader manual transmissions?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by zonkola, Feb 11, 2004.

1. zonkola

zonkola
    from NorCal

What cars and trucks did the Ford Ford 3-spd + OD toploader manual transmissions come in? (Either cast iron or aluminum would work.)

2. FencePost

FencePost

Late 70's Granada for one...

3. zonkola

zonkola
    from NorCal

Thanks, that one I know about (from Professor Fathackius's posts). '75-'78 Granadas, right? What other cars/trucks came with these transmissions?

4. Elrusto

Elrusto

I pulled one from a mid 70's F150. Be sure to get the shifter too because I wasnt able to find an aftermarket shifter for it.

5. prime mover

prime mover

I just seen one in a 80 f-150 here at work but it was impossible to get parts for, I would'nt mess with one.

6. Fat Hack

Fat Hack
    from Detroit

Ha Ha Ha...man, I had a FLEET of V8 four speed Granadas at one time, too...never thought to stockpile those trannys, though....they're worth more than the whole rest of the car!!

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. zonkola

zonkola
    from NorCal

Thanks for the info! So, '75-'78 Granadas and some mid '70s to early '80s F150s. Did they come in anything else?

8. Butch11443

Butch11443

The early Lincoln's had one also. "40-41" up. Were an 8-bolt & used a torque tube driveshaft.
    Butch

9. zonkola

zonkola
    from NorCal

Thanks Butch, but I'm thinkin' that's a whole different beast...

10. laverda

laverda

Hello,

I have an all aluminum Ford 3spd + OD (toploader style, Tremec?) that the swap meet seller said came from early 70's Mustang, Econoline, Bronco, F100 etc. It was thrown in for cheap so I grabbed it. It has a shifter that is mounted to a sliding tube gadget allowing for the trans to be mounted in various vehicles. I think it moves forward/back at least 5". My digging with serial numbers did not reveal too much. I have an old Hot Rod at home that may have some aditional info ... if usefull I will post.

A fellow HAMBer provided the following to my initial Q (17 May 2003)...
    I have one of these in a 1980 Ford f100. It is very light and is mexican built.I had trouble with it jumping out of gear and had to install a new 2nd gear[300 bucks wholesale yrs ago]I bought a similar looking one in Portland a few years ago was from a mid size ford car. The case was the same but had a different input shaft. I think this is a very light trany and would check that the ratio's are decent. Typical ford thinking on mine. They put in a 2:75 rearend with the overdrive and the 302 would be at 1100 at 100km. and not have enough tourque to pull itself. [Would easly do 100km. in 2nd!]

Hmmm ... I guess I better swap the Hemi for a Pinto 4 banger in the A [​IMG]

later,
    papa al

11. redbeard

redbeard

I have one in my 57 ford f100, from the factory.
    they are a borgwarner T86.

But maybe you mean top shift tranny and not top loader?
    Top loader means you put the gears in from the top, no
    side panel, but they shift on the side.

good luck

12. zonkola

zonkola
    from NorCal

Laverda - It sounds like what you got in trade is an SROD (Single Rail Overdrive) 3 + OD (which unfortunately is considered a bit of a red-headed stepchild transmission by Ford guys). The sliding tube gadget is a dead giveaway. The version I'm asking about is referred to as a SMOD (Side Mounted Overdrive), which has a reputation for being much more durable than the SROD.

Redbeard - I actually did mean toploader. The gears go in from the top, and it shifts from the side. Rumor has it that these transmissions can actually be turned into a four-speed toploader by changing the gears. The part number is T170F (Code-RUG).

Incidentally, David Kee considers this tranny to be a "Toploader imposter": http://www.davidkeetoploaders.com/imposters.htm

13. fastcat

fastcat

econoline vans

14. zonkola

zonkola
    from NorCal

Fastcat - Do you know which years/models of Econolines they came in?

15. laverda

laverda

[ QUOTE ]
    ... is an SROD (Single Rail Overdrive) 3 + OD (which unfortunately is considered a bit of a red-headed stepchild transmission by Ford guys)....... which has a reputation for being much more durable than the SROD.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks Z. This may be a dumb Q [​IMG] but ... is this trans pretty much useless? I have thought about hooking it to the back of my 331 hemi, instead of the Powerflite that is currently there. Thanks.

later,
    papa al

16. laverda

laverda

bttt ... last time. Thx.

17. locklahn

locklahn

Have one in a 78 econoline van I just picked up.

18. zonkola

zonkola
    from NorCal

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    ... is an SROD (Single Rail Overdrive) 3 + OD (which unfortunately is considered a bit of a red-headed stepchild transmission by Ford guys)....... which has a reputation for being much more durable than the SROD.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks Z. This may be a dumb Q [​IMG] but ... is this trans pretty much useless? I have thought about hooking it to the back of my 331 hemi, instead of the Powerflite that is currently there. Thanks.

later,
    papa al

[/ QUOTE ]

What I know about the SROD is mostly second-hand. Fat Hack & others would probably have more hard data for ya, and if you do a Google search on SROD you'll find a bunch of info. But from what I've read, an SROD might not be the best choice for a hemi. Whenever I see people talking (typing) about how it's "probably fine for a stock 4-banger", I start to get nervous...

19. PetesPonies

PetesPonies
    from Maryland

They also were found in Fox Mustangs behind V8 up to mid year 1983. At that point, the T5 was available . . so even 82 and early 83 Mustang GTs had them, as well as earlier Fox Mustangs, dating back to 79. They were found in lots of Ford trucks.

20. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

My T85 + R10 Borg warner unit came out of a 65 Galaxie. Alot of the full size cars had 3 spd + OD in the mid 60's.

21. R Pope

R Pope

I ran an external-shifter SMOD in a '79 Mustang with a 375 horse 351W for a hundred thousand miles with no problems, still have it. Weird ratios, but hell for tough. It's based on the old top-loader four speed, so there's some strength there.
    I sold a SROD to a guy with a 390/4speed Galaxie that he wanted to get better mileage with. As far as I know, it's still working for him.

22. metalman

metalman

I have a truck RUG toploader in my 57 Ranchero, Bolted a standard toploader Hurst shifter to it. Flop the 3/4 shift lever over and tweek the shift rod to fit, works fine.

23. timothale

timothale

ford trans info . In the 50's the toploader was used with smaller engines ...different design than the 40's top loaders. larger engines used the T 85 which has the round bottom side cover. T 85's were used by various other companies starting in the 40's .t 85's were the basic transmission that was redesigned to make the T 10 four speed .. some parts interchange between the t 85 and T 10 . Ford then made the top loader all synchro 3 speed. It was also used by GM in a few cars. Next was the Toploader 4 speed/ It had all the gears inside the main case. The heavy duty top loaders had the 1 3/8 input shaft. the O/d 4 speed changed gear internals so 3 rd gear was direct and the od used the gears that was 3 rd in former designs. OD spinning the gears results in more wear and less life. as stated before there were both side shift and the single rail shifter, Jeep also used the ford trans with a top cover shifter. some late model toploader/ O/D also use aluminum cases.

24. Phil1934

Phil1934

From another forum:
    Two versions of the Top-Loader 4-speed were available. The cast iron version, called the RUG, has external linkage and is a direct swap for non-overdrive units. These are found in '77-'78 Granadas and Monarchs, '78-'79 pickup trucks and '78-'87 vans. They normally had internal ratios of 3.29:1, 1.84:1, 1.00:1 and .80:1.
    The aluminum case version found in '79-'83 Mustangs and Capris is called the SROD, has internal shift linkage, an input shaft that is 11/16" longer than a normal Top-Loader with a shifter location 19" from the mounting flange. These usually had ratios of 3.07:1, 1.72:1, 1.00:1 and .70:1.
    SROD's also came in '80-'83 pickup trucks. These are the preferred trans for early Mustangs as they have the same length input shaft and shifter location (15" from mounting flange) as a normal Top-Loader. Two different ratio sets were available: 3.01:1, 1.78:1, 1.00:1 and .79:1 or 3.25:1, 1.92:1, 1.00:1 and .78:1.

My experience with an '85 Fi50 is expect a 2000+RPM drop on shifts.

25. flatjack

flatjack

I've got an aluminum 3 speed OD in my 39. It came from a mid 80's F-150 with a 300 inch 6. It has a top mounted shifter. OD is a 30% drop in rpm. Been in my car for 17 years now.

26. Ford-Man

Ford-Man

I have a SMOD, or 3+1 overdrive trans going into my '49 F-1. If you have this trans, hold on to it! They are said to be as bullet proof as the old toploaders. (Havent driven on mine yet)...I got mine on an ebay auction for a little over 2 hundred bucks after it was rebuilt. The main problem is shifter availability. Hurst quit making them. My shifter is sloppy and the shift pattern is HUGE! Not that I mind, but reverse, 1st, and 3rd are about 4" away from the firewall. The shifter I need actually bolts up to the gear box where the tail shaft bolts on. Hurst made that exact shifter for a little while, but decided not to now that I need one! :D Mine I believe came out of a '78 E-150, but can be found in most 78 and 79 Ford trucks and vans with a manual trans (good luck). They are mostly all iron cases...while some lightweight trucks got the aluminum cases. These were also used in Jeeps with a different shifter. The Jeep shifter was a top mounted shifter that housed the shifter fork rail and the forks. Acording to all the info I can physically find, they only ran from the late 70's into the very early 80's and were dropped for weight reasons for the:

SROD transmissions are completely different than SMOD. SROD tranies are still 3-Speed+overdrive...but the overdrive is actuated by a rod that is on the top drivers side of the transmission. These are also aluminum cased for the most part and tend to be weak. I was told to stay away from the SROD trans if I was building for more than 250HP by many people. The SMOD is a full externally shifted toploader style trans whereas the SROD is fully internal. The SROD was also a very short lived trans because the T-5 was on the way.

The SMOD and SROD trannies get confused often, but if you take the time to look at them they are worlds apart both in construction and durability. SROD trannies were barely able to handle the cars they were put in from the factory. They are, for the most part, a restorers trans to keep things OE. The SMOD is, acording to David Kee, a toploader impostor because it looks almost identical to a 60's toploader. It is stronger, heavier, and longer lasting than the SROD, and parts (other than aftermarket shifters) are readily available for them. Any transmission shop can locate rebuild kits.

Sorry for the rant...I am just miffed that I cant get my shifter anymore! :mad:

27. granny

granny
    from WA state

I've got an SROD that i'm thinking of installing non-overdrive gears and putting a jeep shift tower onto...basically turning it into an old school toploader with an aluminum case and getting rid of that weird SROD shifter.

28. newfalconowner

newfalconowner
    from NS Canada

mustang ii's/pintos, granada,moncarchs,,late 70s early 80s.. not a high horse capable trans but good for 300hp maybe...

some info here

http://www.davidkeetoploaders.com/imposters.htm

heres one i have when i got it, then sorta cleaned up and used as a mock-up for making my floor and trans tunnel/firewall.. there the same as a regular toploader in appearance and shape

29. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My buddy scours the salvage yards within 100 mile radius and buys all of these he can get. Usually gets them for between $75-$150. He modifies them for use in banger Model A Fords. The A guys pay pretty good bucks for them.

30. Mattilac

Mattilac

I have a topshifted aluminum one. The shifter is built into the top cover. It would work well in a hot rod needing a forward shifter location. I put it behind a 292 for a few months until I went with a T5. It worked great on the highway with 3:89 gears. If you need one, I will sell it to ya.