Register now to get rid of these ads!

Used Motor Oil, disposing of it properly

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by AJofHollywood, Apr 22, 2010.

1. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

doesn't it kill fire ants? :D i know it killed black ants up north, we also added a bunch of gas and an M80 to light the explosion too . It also killed yellow jackets in the same way, oil to coat em, and gas to burn them, they would fly up out of the nest on fire.

2. UnsettledParadox

UnsettledParadox

our garbage company offers a free 5 gallon jug to fill and put out with the trash. they replace it when they see it.

or

go to autozone, kragens, etc and they usually take your old waste in whatever container you can transport it.

or

go to the recycling center across town, they take it too

3. 57tony31

57tony31
    from Woods

Alot of shops have heaters that use old oil to heat there shops. Ask around you should find one.

4. mart3406

mart3406
    from Canada

Someone here mentioned adding it to stove oil for shop heating. Used
    motor oil - if it's been filtered and is free of water, anti-freeze and other
    impurities, it works fine as a fuel additive in diesel engines too. A trucking
    company I used to drive for takes all of their used motor oil, and after
    running it through a centrifugal filtering machine to clean it they add it
    to the diesel fuel they use in their trucks at a ratio of about.1 gallon
    of used oil to about 100 or 150 gallons of diesel.fuel.

Mart3406
    ===================================================

Last edited: Jul 12, 2010
  5. coolvato

coolvato

Pour it in the Gulf they'll never notice..

6. mart3406

mart3406
    from Canada

----------------------
    I was gonna' say that too, but didn't have the
    nerve! :D :D

Nart3406
    =================================================

7. gerrald meacham

gerrald meacham

i run my waste oil in my tractor and skidster , runs betterm than fuel , smokes a little more but thats ok , they have mech inj

8. it dont matter whether you burn it in a lawnmower a old car or a new one or let it evaporate. its all the same you get the same amount of so called pollution. So you stored some stuff in a catlyic converter or added some air to the tailpipe mixture with a smog air pump. You havent really accomplished anything. The fact i8s man cant make something into nothing it still exist in a different form. Likewise we cant take nothing and make it into something.So how are creating pollution? :confused: If it caused cancer or tumors I should be dead 50 years of getting it on my hands arms and other body parts no problems. I use my old oil to paint floor boards of old cars as a rust preventave. also to over fill and pickle engines that are not being used. Also we have a old dump truck that the hoist cylinder wont hold seals and leaks used oil works ok and dont cost like new hyd oil. Used oil kills lice on hogs. Used oil will cure athelets feet. Its also good for hemmorids.:eek: OldWolf

9. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

I worked in a gas station when I was a teen and we used to use for the heater to burn in the winter . There was also a guy that would buy it from us and pump it out into a small oil truck . Same guy had a big flatbed with plywood sides and some around and pay us for used batteries , altt , water pumps and so on . We would use that money for the soda machine we had in the back room .

Retro Jim

10. Burned it in a "Smudg-pot" for heat in the winter, of course!:p

11. mr.chevrolet

mr.chevrolet

didnt read all the posts, so maybe someones done this same thing. an old farmer friend used to brush waste oil on his fences to keep them from rusting. the drips would also kill the weeds below to keep his fence row clean.

12. Chris Casny

Chris Casny

Bring it to Autozone, they "pay" to take it back now.

13. Big Nick

Big Nick

My buddy owns a comercial concrete company and they use the old oil to rub on the forms so the concrete wont stick to it. I give all my old oil to them.

14. budd

budd

i remember old shops that the yards had oil poured on them, the whole yard had a perfect black coating, same with the shop floor inside.

15. JC Sparks

JC Sparks
    from Ohio

Walmart take it in gallon jugs with out a problem.

16. Slow55

Slow55

17. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

I lived on a dirt road as a kid back in the 40s&50s. Man down the street had kin who owned the local Buick dealership. He would get their old GMC p'up and used a barrel and sprinkler bar like mentioned earlier. Kept the dust down and in the area down near his house he put more oil and it was just like asphalt.
    In the 60s and 70s I used all I could get to heat old shacks that I rented for a shop. Often the walls and the roof were nothing but 5V tin roofing and it took a helluva lot of heat to be able to do anything in the Winter, even here in central GA. Wasn't going to spend my money to insulate someone else's bldg. so this was the only thing I could do.
    Bought the shop I have now in the 80s and now it is well insulated and tight. Was going to build a more sophisticated waste oil heater, even purchased plans, but somehow it never got done. But I saved up oil and now have about 100 gallons in drums.
    Recently found a guy who is into used oil recycling who says he will come and pump out the barrels no charge. Just waiting for cooler weather so I don't have to keep the drive thru door open for him to run the hose in and pump it out. Don't wanta let all the heat in and have to cool it down again with the AC!
    Dave

18. brucer

brucer
    from western ky

i have 4-5 gallon buckets i keep and fill up.. i have a friend that owns a lawn care business and another that cuts trees on the side, and the other has a small farm.. they use it to oil chainsaws bars, weed killer and whatever i guess.

i use it to start fires in the burn pile, fill up on jug for chainsaw and i have a huge tree stump in the front yard that i took a chainsaw and cut a funnel shape in the center of it about a foot deep, I oil soak and try to burn it.. i swear someday it will burn away..

19. Julio

Julio
    from san diego

I bottle it up and feed it to baby seals.... the really rare kind

20. Dynaflash_8

Dynaflash_8
    from Auburn WA

the town i live in use to have the main round house for the locomotives back in the 60s. My dad says he remembers throwing rocks into the giant ponds of black oil that had fences around them. Thousands of gallons of used oil just seeping into the ground

21. 62rebel

62rebel

hah! do like the guys up the street from me.... they dump it in the empty lot across the street. can't WAIT to get a pic of them doing it for Po-Po.
    that home oil change is gonna cost them about 30 grand.

22. Snakeoyl Joe

Snakeoyl Joe

Is that Benbrok, Texas??????????

23. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

Back in the 70's a friend ask if I would save my old oil for him. He said he was staining the outside of his house??????? I went and looked at it one time, it was a small house with rough cedar planks on the outside. It looked pretty darn good. I don't know if it ever burned down, lol. Now I give it to a friend with a repair shop he heats with oil.

24. reallylongnickname

reallylongnickname

Every Historic Popular Mechanic mag since year 1902 is published in full on google books. They would get their would have been a huge law suite if they published such an article. Unless your talkin about some international edition written in some dudes basement in some Latin country in Sth America.

25. reallylongnickname

reallylongnickname

That's all the past. I hope u guys now deposit it correctly and not in the dumpster.

I'm sure in the states you guys can take your oil to a huge chain store like auto zone and take your used oil to the back of the store and they will take it off your hands for free as long as its in a seal container.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2010