Register now to get rid of these ads!

55 Ply Savoy Flathead 6 Should I Buy?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by srj23, Jul 10, 2010.

1. srj23

srj23
    from MD

$700.00 Just want some thoughts. I'm thinking of buying a 55 Plymouth Savoy 76 K miles in decent shape, Rear floor patched, trunk good, rest of car appears solid with some minor rust. Problem is it turns but won't start. New battery - VR...seems gas is not getting to carb. Is it a reasonable risk to purchase and tinker with to get running. Sat for more that 2 yrs and probably needs brakes looked, etc. See photos. Thanks for your thoughts.

Attached Files:

2. Go for it. It would make a decent daily driver.

Hows the body? Sounds like you have bad gas or the fuel pump needs replacing.

Those flathead 6s are pretty easy to work on. And its a reliable engine as well. $700 is a good price.

3. The Hitch Hiker

The Hitch Hiker

Looks like a good find. With a little work it can be a solid daily. I've never tried it personally but I have heard of rubbing alcohol being used to boost old gas back to life. Worth some research possibly...

4. Does it have a title? If not and if your state requires one, it may not be worth the hassle unless you really want one.

5. forty1fordpickup

forty1fordpickup

For $700.00 I'd go for it. I agree it will make a nice daily.

6. srj23

srj23
    from MD

Yes...with good title.....

7. James Curl

James Curl

It should not take too much to start it up. I would try a gas can with a rubber hose to the fuel pump to see if you can get it running. I started a 52 flathead that had sat for a number of years. It had three stuck valves, pulled the head and got the valves all working. Replaced the head using the original head gasket, 7:1 compression ratio. Drained the oil and got water along with the oil after I rotor routered the hole in the pan. Poured a couple of gallons of mineral spirits through the engine then refilled with fresh oil and Sea foam. Used a 12 volt battery and the gas can with rubber hose to the fuel pump and it started and ran, ran it about 2 hours and all looks good. They are very reliable engines, used in fork lifts, combines, air port tugs, and stationary welders on trailers. They were built into the 70's for commercial use and into the mid sixties for the military in the form of the 3/4 ton truck.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2010
  8. david38rc

david38rc

I'd check for more rust, like in the rockers, wheel wells, body mounts and such. With only 76K miles, I wonder why the trunk and body is so rusty..had to been sitting outside for awhile. As much as it rains in seattle, they don't rust that bad.
    Mechanics are easy to work on, parts are avaible, and they make good reliable transportation.

If it turns your nut, buy it.

9. radio_king

radio_king

Looks solid to me,for 700 I`d buy it.Flathead parts are reasonable priced and available.Good luck.

10. srj23

srj23
    from MD

Got it started...Had to replace gas tank (refurbed it)...Fuel was varnish and gunk..Replaced tank set points and made sure distributor was right....After a few turns of the ignbition and gas into the carb...It ran...Purrs like a kitten after warm-up...The brakes are next...Will replace the wheel cylinders, hoses and maybe the master cylinder....

11. Squablow

Squablow

73 Dodge Dart master fits into the car, you've got to adjust the rod somewhat but it works, and they're way cheaper than a new '55 master, plus they're dual chamber. Just thought I'd mention that.

12. srj23

srj23
    from MD

Okay...so a 73 dart master cylinder for drum/drum can work? I would just have to replumb lines for fromnt and back right?

13. srj23

srj23
    from MD

Update...Bought it....Running after replacing gas tank and fuel pump..Completed body work..rocker panels, fender repairs, etc. Patches in trunk...New brakes, brake hoses, master cylinder. Primed and painted...Getting it together...Need to put bumper back and start driving to work out any bugs. Interior is next. Hopefully new seat covers so I can get it on the road..

Attached Files:

14. You can't go wrong for 7 bills...

15. You'll get all the parts you need here...
    www.oldmoparts.com

and here's mine, since sold....

[​IMG]

16. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

well worth 7 - c notes it looks great after you painted it silver enjoy it

17. yardgoat

yardgoat

Great find and good luck. She's running now so change the oil,it might have looked clean at first but carbon settles to the bottom of pan,so change it very soon ,like now...............................YG

18. Tylancaster5150

Tylancaster5150

Looks great! Gives me a lot of hope for my savoy project!