Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Ooh, The Horror... My '36 Coupe...

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Enbloc, Jul 9, 2009.

1. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

so cool that you've come so far. awesome car.

2. Spooky

Spooky

These cars are as sexy underneath as they are from the top.

Damn nice job, man.

3. Corn coupe

Corn coupe
    from CZ

Just catching up Clark, wow, that has come along.

It's going to be one stunning car.

4. 2 1/2 weeks and counting is the time spent on the wiring loom alone. I wanted all the mod cons and am paying for it now with the complexity of the loom!

[​IMG]

My tribute to the Jakeopage.

[​IMG]

Exhaust is fitted. Another work of art from Hayward & Scott. I got them to build it quiet, REAL quiet.:eek:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Current condition.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 5, 2010
    Peeps likes this.
  5. That's looking pretty fuckin sweet!!!! Have you decided on a color yet,or is that the way it's staying?

6. gary9202

gary9202

love this build. THanks for sharing

7. Boring straight black for the final colour. Interior, edges and trim are all finished. Final top coat will have to wait until after the deadline at the end of June.

8. Something that nice CAN'T be boring,whatever color it is!!!! Black will surely look great! It's not very low. Will it have a Westerguard look?

9. Thats pretty much its ride height, the suspension will properly settle a little more.
    Its gonna have stance...

10. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

mmmm. that thing is probably my favorite HAMB car right now. I love it!!!! Black is a perfect choice and I love the ride height.

11. ScottV

ScottV

Sweet ... good for you, I spent alot of my 4 years in England involved in the car Kulture there and will say some of the best times of my life !!!

12. DMFB

DMFB

Hahaha. What he said! In all seriousness, awesome buy man.

13. Corn coupe

Corn coupe
    from CZ

Wow!

Good luck with achieving the deadline.

PS. Nothing wrong with quiet.

14. verr1908

verr1908
    from england

will you make the hayride ? i will not make the hayride in my 36 as had paint problems due to the fact i am doing it all at home set me back about 3 weeks plus ,but will be at the hayride in the every day car

15. Trying to. But the fact its unfinished, undriveable, neither MOT or registered is causing some concerns!

16. I feel your pain man. I am working on wiring right now as well and it sucks. My Dad had started my harness but passed away before it was done so I am going through it to try and figure out what is what. It would be way easier to just buy a new harness but I can't bring my self to do it.

17. MIKE-3137

MIKE-3137

Great work, can't wait to see the final product!

18. With an MOT booked for 4 'o' clock today and a 3 week lash up to get the car ready for said MOT it was on time and going great.

Finished enough wiring to get through the test, chucked the front panels together leaving horrendous panel alignment and cable tied the carpet tiles to the seat springs, we was good to go.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

First trip out on the road to the petrol station and it ran great. Filled up and set off for the station.
    A couple of miles down the road the RH exhaust starting smoking badly, then the LH started. Then the cab filled up with smoke and most of the street as well at which point the engine started knocking badly......

....... A quick call to the MOT station to cancel the test and tow back to the workshop to have a little cry.

[​IMG]

Before I rip the engine to pieces, what should I check?

When the engine is cold its fine. Starts on the button, is quiet, doesn't smoke.
    Whens it hot (Running temperature, not over heating) it all goes wrong, burning oil and knocking.
    Let it go cold again. Start it up, no knocking and no smoke!

Ideas?

Last edited: Jul 9, 2010
  19. Jonny69

Jonny69
    from England

Argh no! I feel your pain Clark :(

20. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

Wow Clark,
    Sorry to hear about the motor problems!

You sure its burning oil, not water?

On a better note... sure looks good on all 4's with the sheet metal on it!

Good luck!
    Zach

21. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

It looks like rolling Perfection.

22. Slow55

Slow55

Damn, whatta sweet ride!
    White smoke sure sounds like coolant. Gasket? Cracked?

23. Could be water I suppose, but I think it is oil.

24. squigy

squigy
    from SO.FLO.

Is the smoke white?
    or is it charcoal color? does it smell like burnt oil or steaming water?
    i think it may be a water issue with the head gaskets but that is only a guess..

25. White smoke sounds like coolant to me as well. What does it smell like?

26. Keep going with the suggestions guys.

I'll be back on it tomorrow so the more I can check the better.

27. woodbox

woodbox

Pull the radiator cap and run the engine, look into the radiator while giving the engine a few revs. If the are bubbles, big ones coming up in the radiator you may have head gasket problems.
    When the engine heats up the pressure in the radiator wil increase and possibly be pressurising into the cylinders on the induction stoke. If you are running anti freeze this will smoke like hell and stink. The knocking will be the water in the cylinders. This will only happen once up to temp/pressure. Just my two pence worth.
    Hey I hope you get it sorted....Good luck.
    Cheers.

28. Blue50F-1

Blue50F-1

No ideas on your engine problems, but do want to say that you've got her looking good in the pics even if up close there are alignment issues, etc. She's a sweet ride!

29. neilswheels

neilswheels
    from England

Any engine updates clark? I was looking forward to seeing it at the hayride.

30. Been keeping an update on progress, just not here.

10th July.

Ok, heres where we stand.

Went back to the car today with a fresh head. Popped the bonnet and oh... Paint on the RH head is discoloured and blistered! I'm quessing it got fairly hot! LH head and rest of the engine is fine.
    Pull the plugs RH plugs white, very clean. LH normal.
    Compression test shows bang on 110 on all cylinders. That rules out valves, rings, pistons, bores etc.
    Put it back together, starts on the button, smooth, quiet, NO knocking, NO smoke. Take it for a run, runs perfect.
    Bring it back NO knocking, NO smoke.

Leave it running for ages and just start to get a little puff of smoke from the RH exhaust but no where near what it was doing yesterday.

Studied the smoke and am 99.9% certain its water. white, clean, odourless.

Train of thought now is its leaking water, mainly on the RH side. I think the water was causing severe detonation which is what the knocking was yesterday and the cause of the burnt head.

Now its either a cracked block or bad head gaskets. As I've never changed the head gaskets :)rolleyes:) and their quick and easy to change I going to do these and see how it goes.

Pulled a head quickly before I finished and nothing seems to be amiss. Just as clean as the rest of the engine.

14th July.

Ordered up new head gaskets which arrived yesterday. Fitted and torqued up one side fine, moved onto the other got half way through torqueing the nuts down when no. 11 went soft.
    Took it off to find the thread stripped on the nut. While peering down at the stud, hoping it was a bad nut, only to find the end of the thread on the stud all crossthreaded.
    Take it all apart again with the long shot of salvaging it with a quick going over with a 7/16" die.
    Unsurpriseingly it didn't work and ended up having to weld a nut on the end of the bad stud to get it out as the thread was so bad you couldn't even double nut it to get it out.

New stud on order as no one local had an old one I could use. I'll be lucky to see the new one Friday. :(

It never rains....

Heres a picture of the head. You can see the main discolouration from excessive heat around the plugs and a start on the centre of the head as well.

[​IMG]

This is the gasket from the same side. The picture doesn't really show anything other than a head gasket but I found lots of evidence of water under the gasket where it shouldn't have been.

[​IMG]

As it sits now waiting for that one stud. :mad:

[​IMG]

Oh yeh, waterpumps.

Had them off as well. They are new. Can't see anything wrong with them. I checked for evidence of them sticking like what happened to Sturge. Again nothing I can see but I packed them out with extra gaskets just as a precaution.

15th July

Another interesting development.

As I had the thermostats, which are new, sitting there I thought I'd drop them in a cup of boiling water and watch them open.
    What do I find? One doesn't open at all! It seems to move cock eyed in the housing and jams itself in the closed position!

Last edited: Jul 16, 2010