Register now to get rid of these ads!

O/T/ When do you work on your cars?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by junkyardgenius, Jul 8, 2010.

1. I work split shifts so having thur/friday off kinda gives me some time.HOWEVER its runnin about 105-108 during the day and lows of 80 at nite and the cooler in the shop stopped working...so Im not gettin crap done lately,but I gotta get the rear end back in the 56 so I will be up at 4am to start on it tomorrow..............DAMN

2. whats a SKEETER??????????

3. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

When our kids were young I would go to the garage after football/baseball/school stuff/homework about 9:00pm and work untill midnight or so. Then what ever time was available on the weekends. At that time I was working a good sixty hours a week, so sleep was not abundant and weekends were often one day [or less]. But damn I was hungry for a driving hot rod. After getting one on the road my intensity dropped a good bit. Now I am retired and work some of every day in the shop. If the computer was in use at that time, I might have never gotten one done. LOL.

4. The37Kid

The37Kid

Yes,I'm the East Coast version of you!:D

5. Monday-Wed. 9AM-9PM work
    Thurs. 8AM-5PM work
    Home work studies 7PM-'till whenever.
    Friday 6AM-6PM work
    Saturday I'm off
    Sunday 1PM-6PM more work!

Leaves very time for car activities.
    Working sure get's into the way of my social life.

6. sacredsteel1

sacredsteel1

I have to keep moving after i get home from work (I work 5am to 4pm ) so i dont even go in the house when i get home. If i sit for 5 mins. im down for the night. I usually keep going till i get too hungry to stay out...(9pm unless i have a decent supply of beer)

7. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

Its rough ,You need a job thats only 40 hours a week and normal hours ,Im unemployed again ,I was working to much and everything at home was falling apart .Trying it solo and looking for a new job.... Only of last week ......

8. yellow wagon

yellow wagon
    from WI

Work 7-5 most days at a mega stressful job so coming home and heading right in to the garage sounds like heaven to me most days. I like to run the die grinder on days where I need a stress reliever. Usually come in aroun 9 looking for food and to watch the tube for a bit

9. gtkane

gtkane

The job keeps me busy 7-5 M-F.
    During the week,I do the yard work and stuff around the house.
    However, on the weekend, it's usually work like mad in the shop 'till 4am, 3-4 hours sleep, and do it all over again.

And if the wife is, ahem, "grumpy"...then I'm in the shop during the week too!

10. Ratfink749

Ratfink749

Never. I work on other peoples problem cars all day long. When I come home I don't want anything to do with cars anymore. I look at my pile of parts in the garage, sigh, go in the house and forget about it for the rest of the night. I don't have the money or drive to do it anymore. Sad. The only thing that keeps me driven anymore is the Ducati that doesn't require anything but gas and riding.

11. gsport

gsport

retired here for the last 3 years, so i can go out to the shop when i want (wife still works) sooo, i go out when i get the urge.. after reading the HAMB, that usually motovates me to get something done....

12. this is a great thread, no one has found anything to argue about yet. i HAVE to get something done everyday. i work 4:00 p.m to midnight monday through thursday and every saturday. i work on my projects before work, work on cars at work, and when i'm realy into something i'll get some time in after work. i have four kids and a very understanding wife who knew i had a pretty severe car addiction before she married me.

13. Salty

Salty
    from Florida

I work the midnight shift for 12 hours a night....and I'm a night owl....therefore on my off nights I'll usually go to bed early (like by 0300-0400) and up by 0900 and play with the family during the day till the sun dips and it cools off......it also helps that I have an air conditioned garage....

That said I work in the middle of the night with the insulated garage door shut....neighbors have never said a word.

On my 12 hour work days I sometimes get in an hour or two before I go to work during my son's nap.