Register now to get rid of these ads!

54 Chevy Bel Air Chop

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ronniejames, Mar 26, 2010.

1. surfcaliforniasurf

surfcaliforniasurf

looking awesome...you going to keep the same color cause it is kinda cool

2. where did you score the californian bumpers from, id like a front for my 53

3. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Sweet, look'n real good.

4. weldkingoc

weldkingoc

looks great! not too much. I have 54 star chief i want to do the same to. Many mixed feeling about doing so to that car from fellow hambers. Like the rear widow choice. fits so natural

5. Jkustom

Jkustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Lookin good.. I like your back window!!

6. ronniejames

ronniejames
    from indiana

Here is an update to the progress.....a few steps forward, a few steps back. Ran into a problem with some work a guy did for me and some paint issues but found the solutions and gettin back to business.

Here is an update on the headlights and tail lights. The heads are standard mercury frenching rings and the tails are total custom build by my bro mike around Lee Lenses.

Starting the fender skirts, door shaves next.....

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 4, 2010
  7. ronniejames

ronniejames
    from indiana

thanks Hotdamn.....
    No surf, i think I am going with something a little different. Prolly be next winter though.
    I got my bumpers actually on Ebay....bumper boyz have them but they are way too overpriced for me so I found some clean ones on ebay.

thanks alot guys.....this is really quite an experience but doing all the research and having the right guys to around has made all the difference. I just cant wait to get it all put together and on the road.

Ill post more as soon as I get something to post. She is getting soda blasted next week.

8. Tony

Tony

Slick chop and nice tin work on the filler panels for the roof.
    Can't go wrong with the Merc rings, and fab'd tail housings either. I did the same thing on my 53 a few years back, along with a chop too. Nice, simple and clean..

Nice job and looking good!

Tony

9. billys54

billys54

10. MengesTwinCustoms

MengesTwinCustoms

looking good! how does that rear glass fit and what are you going to do about the curved front?

11. myothercarisjustasbad

myothercarisjustasbad
    from Winnipeg

really nice chop. cant wait to start on my 54 bel air. you've definitely inspired me!

12. ronniejames

ronniejames
    from indiana

thanks alot billy and myothercar......

Menges.......the degree of curve on the donor rear window was slightly slimmer than the curve of the rear tray on my 54. So (as you can see in the pics) there were slices made into the body of my 54 to allow it to be bent up and molded to the frame of the donor window......then before it was welded up we checked the belt line moulding to make sure it still fit (and it does with a little very mild bending in the corners......which we will make the adjustments over a large area as to not gap or put any crimps in the moulding) and once we were happy.....it was welded into place. and it fit perfect every were else.

As for the front glass.......we are making a pattern for what we want.....taping it off were we need it to be and then having it sandblasted down and then ground by a glass shop. Works perfect and fits like a glove once your done.

I was hoping this would turn out good but its having the guys helping who've been doing it since these cars were new that has made all the difference. If there is any info or pics I can send ya to help out please let me know.

I am going to be doing a 54 chop tech on this once she is all done and although I cant say I got every single step photographed....I got pretty close or close enough for people to get the picture.

Looking forward to seeing your cars! Hey Billy....what did you do on your rear window??

Last edited: Apr 5, 2010
  13. JBOLTON

JBOLTON

looking sweet man,, nice work... Love the look of the tailights as well.

14. ronniejames

ronniejames
    from indiana

i know this was originally just about the chop but i thought i would post a few more in progress pics. Got her soda blasted and added scoops to the hood.......got some quarter work to do on both sides but besides that she is super solid. Not to mention all of the previous work was done 30 years ago. Its nice to see underneath everything (most of the time).

Getting ready to shave the doors and head into fabricating up some kustom fender skirts. My buddy mike is gonna school me in the art of truly nailing a good skirt fit.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 13, 2010
  15. 51ChevPU

51ChevPU
    from Arizona

Keep posting the pictures of all your modifications. I think alot of us are going to learn from your experience. Great job!

16. Chevy54

Chevy54
    from Orange, CA

Just came across this thread, not sure how I missed it, Great chop! This must be the car that Dirt called me about with questions on my back glass. Nice work bro keep the pics coming!

17. ronniejames

ronniejames
    from indiana

Thx alot Chevy54, Man I really like the chop you did on your car. I spent alot of time looking at yours when I was working on designing mine. Friggin great job, the welding is second to none.

Will do 51, been so busy working on it havent had time to post anything. I will get on that this week sometime.

She is getting first primer here next few days. Skirt mods and we also raised the front fender wells 2.5 inches.

Almost there.....

18. ronniejames

ronniejames
    from indiana

Well, here are some semi-finished pics of the car. Will be a few before I get to real interior and other stuff but the basic car is running and driving and I am enjoying the hell out of it.

Thanks for all the encouragement guys....will post more pics of the in process stuff here as soon as I get everything together.

Attached Files:

19. oldcarfan

oldcarfan
    BANNED
    from missouri

car looks amazing! i do hate the skirts though, but wtf do i know LOL

great job.

20. ronniejames

ronniejames
    from indiana

I am a huge fan of skirts on some cars.....we took the original skirts on my car and added to em a little bit. I wanted to drop them down even with the lower line of the body. Some cars do well with skirts, some dont but the 54 chevy I believe can look great either way. For me, I wanted low low low.

21. i hate you buddy...........:)

22. just kidding im just jealous..that thing rips, and it only took 3 months.

23. AD

AD

Very nice'

24. Rev. Whitewall

Rev. Whitewall

Good job man. Love the 54's. Keep yur skirt on! I love it!

25. JoeySwass

JoeySwass

DAMN! That is one fly ride. Good job!

26. ronniejames

ronniejames
    from indiana

DIRT....its your turn.

27. ronniejames

ronniejames
    from indiana

Thanks Guys.....I appreciate it.

28. Nads