Register now to get rid of these ads!

1950 chevy IFS kit questions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by russ1403, Jun 23, 2010.

1. russ1403

russ1403

has anybody used a ifs kit from Helix Suspension Systems?

i found one on ebay from them that looks pretty good but i wanted to get some feedback from the HAMB before i went and got one. i did do a search but didnt find anything on here.

another question i need some info on is: are the 1950 chevy wagon and cars the same frame wise?

any input would be appreciated, thanks:)

2. aldixie

aldixie

Hi,
    First time I have heard of them. The front end will be the same on the car and wagon. I used a Jaguar IFS on my sedan, only cost me $175 complete with power steering.

3. russ1403

russ1403

what year jaguar? was it the whole front frame stub or just the crossmember etc? what about the rims/bolt pattern?

4. aldixie

aldixie

I used the complete front crossmember. It unbolts from the Jag and is the perfect width. Mine I believe came from a 1986 XJ6. You can then either soft mount it by making up some mount for the existing Jag rubber mounts or in my case I made up some plates that bolt to the original holes on the Chevy frame and then used 1/4" plate to weld between those and the Jag crossmember. That way it makes it a bolt in unit.

Alex

5. russ1403

russ1403

cool,thanks for the input,,do you have any pics? i looked in your album but didnt see any. what about the rims?

6. aldixie

aldixie

The Jaguar clip bolt pattern is exactly the same as the Chevy, I'm using my standard rims. I have pictures further on in the album, if you need some more pictures I'll have to get under the car and take some.

I also have mine air bagged on the front and bag over shock on the rear with a triangulated 4 bar setup. PM me and I'll send you an article on the Jag front end and some pictures of others using the Jag setup.

Alex

7. aldixie

aldixie

I have just posted up the pictures in my photobucket album. Also forgot to mention if you have a SBC fitted the power steering hoses bolt perfectly to the power steering pump as well, although slightly long.

8. pdq67

pdq67

Please,.........

Before you jump measure what you need and then look VERY CLOSELY at GM's A/F/X front assemblies because I bet that w/ a small amount of work, one will fit fine!

pdq67

9. russ1403

russ1403

im for sure not going to jump:) i have been looking and pricing etc for alot of "years" but i finally am at the point where its "time" to make a decision so im trying to get info from the hamb:) i guess im lame but what is a gm a/f/x? and unfortunatley i dont weld or have a welder or plazma cutter etc so i was looking fo something with limited amount of difficulty to install,,i do have a few friends who weld but they are not car guys so i was hoping for something that would be "easy" for a "car guy" and a "welder" to instal,,,thanks for the input:)

10. jag is really cheap and gives you r&p steering plus retains your bolt pattern.

11. Big Jon

Big Jon

Hi, I am in the process of fitting a jag xj6 1984 i think to my 52 chev. there a couple of photos in my album , its dropped it about 4 inches with out altering any suspension dynamics. as said this is going to give me power steering as well,

12. russ1403

russ1403

thanks 55 dude and big jon,,i think i will have to really look into the jag option for sure.

13. russ1403

russ1403

btt for the friday nite crew..mabye some of you have some more info? i hope:)

14. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Back to the original question. I did the touchy feely thing with some of the Helix parts that were on display at this years Portland Roadster show. They looked like pretty decent parts. But you might want to read this article. http://www.clevelandbradleybusiness.com/CustomerAlert/ And that reminds me that when I was looking at those nice shiny parts and especially their brake rotors their rep at the car show wasn't the least bit helpful even though they had hell of a nice display of interesting stuff.

Since we don't know much about your fabricating skills it's rather hard to suggest any front end setup. You can go from the "only basic skills needed" http://www.chevsofthe40s.com/detail...ER_BOLTON_FOR_MUSTANG_II_PINTO_FRONT_END.html
    Bolt on MII crossmember that requires only a half inch drill bit, tape measure and a couple of wrenches to install. Not cheap but pretty foolproof. The other end of the spectrum is using front ends like the Jags that require quite a bit of fitting to get it right skills along with welding. I like the idea of the Jag setup though.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2010
  15. russ1403

russ1403

thanks,,i do have time and a friend who welds and i have a construction/carpenter background so i feel i have the skills for measurement etc. but i am on a limited budget so the jag ifs looks bocket book friendley,,and its only metal so it can be fixed,,but thanks for the input i will look into all options:)

16. gsport

gsport

i just finished putting in a CE front end in my '50 and an open drive rearend with their rear installation kit.. it was all a bolt in affair...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. russ1403

russ1403

nice:) thanks for the pics.thats what i need to see more of.

18. Mr48Chev subtly made a really important point: The difference in price is not worth saving if it compromises safety or your enjoyment of the hobby. Do business with established firms with long-running and verifiable reputations, who stand behind their product. There are plenty of vendors like CE, Fatman, Heidt's, TCI, who work hard to provide a quality product and stand behind it.

personally, I try to avoid cheap crap parts at ANY cost. Sure, that costs more. But shopping by price alone puts the reputable vendors out of business, and pretty soon we'll be completely unable to get safe parts that actually FIT.

sorry for the rant.

19. mr.chevrolet

mr.chevrolet

Russ, i did a Chassis Eng. rear in my 37 chevy. went in easy with no welding. i think a jag front is an the way to go for your front. i personnaly havnt done it, but everyone else here on the HAMB who has, seems to think it's a cheap and easy route. (i still owe you some pics od all my wagons, sorry) mike

20. russ i sell mustang II front end made by jw street rod garage i also install them check the 39 chevy in my website. I can sell you the crossmember and tubular a arms shipped to your door for $709 plus tax if your in calif i also sell complete front ends all weld in

21. chevyshack

chevyshack

Are you kidding me? That jag front in fits right in there after you build mounts? I gotta head the pick n pull. Is the xj6 the only jag that fits like that? I cant tell the difference between one jag or another.

22. russ1403

russ1403

thanks mike,im almost set on doing the jag front end now,it may not meet the likes of the "traditional" hot rod/custom but i think its better than buying store bought parts(not that theres anything wrong with them) i just think i will be doing it like the first hot rods by going to a junk yard and buying newer parts than my car and modifying them for my older car or wagon as the case is.i already have a 57 rearend in the back and a 327 with a turbo 350 in it(or waiting to go in it) so i think the jag front end kinda goes right along with my "build",newer parts/technology from another car in my older one,,send them wagon pics anytime:) thanks

Russ

23. i was thinkin about just getting a junk yard mustang II front and buying a crossmember for my 52 coupe but it still seems expensive. let me know how the jag front works out.

24. aldixie

aldixie

Anything pre 86 should fit. Look for round headlight model, if its the square headlight model its too wide and will work for pickup trucks only.

25. BAMF1500

BAMF1500
    from Ocala, FL

gsport what rear end did you go with?

26. ABomb53

ABomb53
    from So Cal

What fabs were needed to install the airbags? I'm plannin on doin the Jag front end on my 53 very soon.....Thanks

27. Thanks Mr. 48. I just sent them my story. I don't know how The Hoffman Group can stay in business, let alone put out the big money it takes to set up a display at a national car show.

Buyer beware.

28. oldspert

oldspert
    from Texas

I would not recommend anything from Helix. Like a dumb a$$ I purchased a set of the lower A arms from them. When I received them, they were so twisted and warped they were completely unusable. Finally got a set that I could make do after modifying my crossmember. Take the advice from this board. There are many people here that have been there/done that. If you want to see the products I received, do an advanced search on my user name. The post should still be there.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=392263

This post.

29. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The Jag units are looking more interesting all the time now that I see some actual photos of the installations. I think the main thing there is if there are cars around that you can get the pieces off. I don't remember seeing a Jag sedan in any of the wrecking yards within 50 miles of my place that I have hit but I haven't hit the one that specializes in foreign cars that is about an hour an a half away. Whole but dead Jag sedans on Craigslist seem to be out of the buy it and take it apart for parts range around here.

30. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

Everything I've seen from the Hoffman Group has been disappointing, offshore crap. Unless proven otherwise, I suspect Helix is the same story and quality.

You chat with Steve at Industrial Chassis yet? He's a HAMBer and a helluva nice guy!