Register now to get rid of these ads!

Early Hemi in a Model a

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tahern, Jun 21, 2010.

1. tahern

tahern
    BANNED
    from Kentucky

anyone make good 10 to 1 slugs for the 331?

2. 73RR

73RR

Although many folks have hogged out their 331 just to save some money and use 354 slugs I do not recommend it. Thick cylinder walls are your friend, besides, other than bragging rights, very little useful power is gained in comparison to cooling capacity lost.

Any custom piston shop can make new pieces and prices vary accordingly.
    Send a PM when you get close and I'll hook you up with some AutoTec units. I can crush the 'other guy's' prices.

3. I SMELL SMOKE

I SMELL SMOKE

my recommendation is to reverse the fire wall,if your running a vega style box the steering is tight especially if the motor is setting low. i ran into problems with my pedals trying to get it all to fit in the floor along with the steering shaft. its tight!!!

4. caletcb

caletcb
    from alabama

hey terry hothemiheads.com may have what you are looking for.

5. concreteman

concreteman

Stock Firewall -10-4 on the Video -puts mine to shame
    but the wife is happy :(:(

6. kustom77

kustom77

The Jimmy White video is just awesome!! downloaded it as a sound only file shortned it and use it as a intro for my band, letting that hemi roar at 120Db though the speakerset!!:D:D

7. tahern

tahern
    BANNED
    from Kentucky

Anyone know how much custom pistons run? Looks like no one sells higher compression pistons for the 331, thats the main reason for thinking about the 354 slugs 23ci is really of little use for the headache and additional machine work

8. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You will pay around $800 for any forged, high compression pistons, with wrist pins. I believe Ross will make them up to 12:1. JE, Arias, and others, will make them as well. I ended up with 10.5:1 Ross pistons for my 331. They're only +.040" over STD bore.

9. tahern

tahern
    BANNED
    from Kentucky

I've seen lots of these engines in coupes, anyone do it in a sedan? (and I mean put the engine in it!)

10. Ball and Chain

Ball and Chain
    from Nor Cal

Here's one (desoto) in a roadster, i'm not reversing the firewall just took a piece out for some massaging. I'm not cool enough for my own build thread, but heres a sneak peak.
    (radials are for mock up only)

Kevin

Attached Files:

• hemi.jpg
      hemi.jpg
      File size:
      17.8 KB
      Views:
  11. MR. FORD

MR. FORD
    from Austin, TX

Mine is a 32 frame, stock wheelbase, stock firewall, used stock oil filter can, 56 DeSoto 330. Used stock fan too. Its tight, but it fits. I really didn't want to reverse or recess the firewall. I was actually surprised.....I though I would have to use an electric fan for sure.

Attached Files:

12. tahern

tahern
    BANNED
    from Kentucky

Mr. ford didn't I see awrite up about your car a few months ago?

13. vegas

vegas

My 331 is mostly stock, but should power my coupe well enough until I do more to it.

Attached Files:

14. jtille

jtille

Here is mine maybe I will finish it one day

30-front hemi.JPG

Car with motor.jpg

side with hemi.jpg

15. Ace50coupe

Ace50coupe
    from Indiana

go youtubin and type in jimmy whites hot rod nice 31 with a hemi in it with a decent cam 6 strombergs lakester style headers sounds mean and looks good.

16. tahern

tahern
    BANNED
    from Kentucky

Evertime I watch that, I get up and go work on my car.

17. tahern

tahern
    BANNED
    from Kentucky

Anyone got a extended bellhousing in an A FRAME? I'm wanting to run the factory firewall, but I'm curious of the motor mounts setup, and the pedals. any pics?

18. KreaturesCCaustin

KreaturesCCaustin
    from Austin, TX

I was wondering if you were going to chime in :D

19. This is now my favorite hot rod. My new Desktop photo.

20. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Jimmy's is an extended bell in a Model A frame. I've never taken a close look at the pedals and firewall though. The bellhousings are fairly bulky because of two mounting flanges on the sides that receive the lower starter housing. Depending on where you set the engine in the frame will depend on how much of the firewall you're going to have to cut, same as any engine. More than likely you're going to have to flip the firewall around or construct a recess though. My guess is you'll have to set it back to clear the waterpump, and what-not.

21. oldskoolflyer13

oldskoolflyer13

listen to it with surround sound......take cold shower afterwards

22. The37Kid

The37Kid

Thank you MRFORD! My '30 Roadster will be on a '32 frame with the 354 HEMI. A stock 30 firewall is a must have for me, glad to see it worked on your car. Another must have item is a CUNNINGHAM intake manifold.

23. 'bout six months ago a customer brought me a '55 331 punched .185" !!!!! (354 bore plus .060") it did NOT sonic check ok. The engine had lots of issues, 40 miles on it when I tore it down, had .005"+ taper and out of round. +.125" (standard 354) would have been WELL within acceptable for this block.

He then brought me a 354 block punched to 4.00" bore, it DOES sonic check ok (forget the #'s now, have them written down)

anybody ever put 10 to 1 Egge 392 pistons (L2052) in a 354 block?

24. 73RR

73RR

Many folks have put std 392 slugs in a 354...but, keep in mind that the 392 has a smaller dome volume than does the 354, then, combine that with less swept volume and you get less compression.
    Many years ago a customer brought in some Egge pistons that he wanted to use (in a 392) so we did all of the usual work right up to and including the downfill check after we assembled the shortblock. No where close to the advertised compression. Customer sent the pistons back and we ordered a new set of forgings in the next oversize.

You just have to decide what you are willing to sacrifice if cutting corners is top priority.

25. Zoo York

Zoo York
    from Zoo York

[​IMG]
    I know my WW's are dirty

26. I'll fully admit that I have not yet measured any of the parts going back in this engine, but believe me, I will. This build isn't about cutting corners, it's about a customer who doesn't really know what he's doing, or what he really wants, but INSISTS on bringing me parts. He bought a 354 block bored to 4.00, and then bought the pistons mentioned. he didn't buy them because they were cheap, he bought them because he thought they were what he needed/wanted. I'll find out soon enough what he's gotten himself into, just wondered if anybody else had been down this road.

sorry for the hijack, back to the Model A's......................

Last edited: Jul 10, 2010
  27. 73RR

73RR

Cory, we have had plenty of the same customers...must be some sort of genetic deficiency...:D...and most of them already know everything.....
    If the block is already at 4.0 what is your plan to deal with clearances in the individual cylinders without a custom piston?

Gary

28. EXACTLY the kind of shit we're BOTH talking about!!!! What kind of dim-rod hones a cylinder without a piston to hone it TO!!? And yet....

I measured the cylinders when he dropped off the block, and he has since brought me the pistons, but I have not measured the pistons and compared anything to see what needs to happen. He just off the cuff brings me parts.. "here ya go-this is what I want" He is sure willing to spend the bucks-- over and over and.....retarded!!!! I learn by studying and asking questions- he learns by spending money!!

29. tahern

tahern
    BANNED
    from Kentucky

Ok i'm screwed, I need a engine compartment stretcher, If my valve covers are on the firewall my water pump is in the radiator, I'm curious anyone have one in an A frame (a 32 is 106" an A is 103?) need to make some room, or change firewalls, any good recessed walls out there? also would a sbc pump conversion give me any room?

30. tahern

tahern
    BANNED
    from Kentucky

Any good recess firewalls? pics? cost?