Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration The Photoshop thread to end all Photoshop Threads!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Pair O' Dice, Oct 10, 2008.

1. fiddydeuce

fiddydeuce

2. NWHotRodder

NWHotRodder

Thanks OahuEli,
    Much appreciated, and once I clicked my pictures I see they are horrible.
    I will add some better ones asap......
    But this is exactley what I need for this car which is a friend of ours.
    She has been Ichin to run out and go buy some wheels , tires, hubcaps, anything because she doesn't like what's on the car now.
    Some idea's really help set her mind in a good direction and a more proper direction.
    --------"Talked Here out of Salt Flat Disc's Just in time!!!!!!!!!!!!!--- This is what I mean, so thank you very much for taking a minute with this.
    -
    Any chance of some pinstripe whites, any caps, or even the stock ones she has?
    More wide whites,
    Roulette caps, flippers, spder caps, bullet lugs, etc......???? Just some idea's i like and might be cool....
    <TABLE class=tborder id=post5393973 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=thead style="BORDER-RIGHT: #e5e5e5 0px solid; BORDER-TOP: #e5e5e5 1px solid; FONT-WEIGHT: normal; BORDER-LEFT: #e5e5e5 1px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #e5e5e5 1px solid"><!-- status icon and date -->[​IMG] Today, 09:17 PM <!-- / status icon and date --></TD><TD class=thead style="BORDER-RIGHT: #e5e5e5 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #e5e5e5 1px solid; FONT-WEIGHT: normal; BORDER-LEFT: #e5e5e5 0px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #e5e5e5 1px solid" align=right> #4476 </TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #e5e5e5 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #e5e5e5 0px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #e5e5e5 1px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #e5e5e5 0px solid" width=175>OahuEli<SCRIPT type=text/javascript> vbmenu_register("postmenu_5393973", true); </SCRIPT>
    Grenade Inspector

[​IMG]

</TD><TD class=alt1 id=td_post_5393973 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #e5e5e5 1px solid"><!-- icon and title -->[​IMG] Re: The Photoshop thread to end all Photoshop Threads!
    <HR style="COLOR: #e5e5e5; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #e5e5e5" SIZE=1><!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->Quote:
    <TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset">Originally Posted by NWHotRodder [​IMG]
    Could any of you give me some photo shop pictures of this Cadillac with cool hubcaps, pinstripe whites and wide whites, and maybe couple of wheel choices.?
    Would be much appreciated.
    -
    Pre-cut out like the only photo shop I know how to do!

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    Your pic was pretty rough so I found one on the net that I believe is close.
    Hope this works for you.

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]
    <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->__________________
    "Even after all these years, I'm STILL as sharp as a marble!"
    <!-- / sig --></TD></TR><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #e5e5e5 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #e5e5e5 0px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #e5e5e5 1px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #e5e5e5 1px solid">[​IMG] [​IMG] </TD><TD class=alt1 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #e5e5e5 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #e5e5e5 0px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #e5e5e5 0px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #e5e5e5 1px solid" align=right><!-- controls --></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

3. sodaturk

sodaturk
    from san diego

I added to your car because nobody goes all out on a 4-door...

[​IMG]

4. skoh73

skoh73

Nice work sodaturk! Gives me some new ideas for Photoshop.

5. Adobe Illustrator. Saves a lot of time being able to pull the lines around to make them fit.

6. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Gotcha. I'm gonna go learn myself a new thing today! Thanks for the tip!

7. What software are you using? The full versions of PS have a Pen Tool that's good for laying out curves and long straight lines but I don't know if PS Elements or GIMP or some of the other software has it. Works better with larger, sharper images and of course there a bit of a learning curve involved. Just about like anything else in PS. :D

Don't know about James D using Illustrator. This here's a Photoshop thread! :rolleyes: Smells a little bit like cheatin' to me. ;)

8. SDhotrod

SDhotrod

GIMP has the pen/paths tool. All of the Elements versions I've seen do not have the Pen tool. Sell a kidney and by Illustrator. :) Learn the ways of the pen tool young glasshoppa, you can do many things with it.

I'm just curious James D, what tool in Illustrator makes it easier to pull the lines to make them fit?

Happy 4th of July all!

9. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Photoshop Elements 8. I've looked but not found anything that seems to apply. If anyone has more knowledge on this re PSE 8, please let me know. Any advice is appreciated.

10. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

"Learn the ways of the pen tool young glasshoppa, you can do many things with it."

Thank you Obiwan Kenobi! I am but a pimple on a camels ass compared to the rest. ( I think Luke Skywalker said that, am I wrong)?:D

11. It´s not that it´s any easier to pull the lines around, simply that I can see what I´m doing, complete with a fill colour and outline colour, as I work. I don´t have to fill it afterwards. (Or can you do that anyway? I dunno!) I can also work on separate areas and then merge them together afterwards if need be.

12. Mr. Jean

Mr. Jean

This is NOT my work. My friend Bill sent me this today. I think it's got a dark/doom look to it. So I've called it the Terminator shot.:D

[​IMG]

13. SDhotrod

SDhotrod

I did some looking around and PSE 8 does not have the pen tool.:mad: Those cheap bastards! There may be other ways to achieve what is done with the pen tool, but I couldn't tell you how. The use of masks maybe? GIMP does have the pen tool and the whole ball of wax is free. http://www.gimp.org/

Naw, you ain't no pimple on a camels ass. And I think it was David Carradine's character in the T.V. show Kung Fu that said that. :)
    "Oh masta, I am but a pimple on a camel's ass compared to you."
    [​IMG]
    Thanks, I might have to download a trial version of Illustrator and mess around with it.

Cool work Mr. Jean. Do you know what filters your friend used to achieve that affect?

Last edited: Jul 4, 2010
  14. Mr. Jean

Mr. Jean

No, sorry I don't know. I've sent him an email asking, so I'll post it here, if he shares.:D

Update: That didn't take long. Here's Bill's reply.

Sure, It was done in CS5 (Photoshop) and the plug-in was called Topaz Adjust 4. http://www.topazlabs.com/adjust/

15. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

[​IMG][​IMG]

This is what happens when you neglect your old car.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  16. 55chieftan

55chieftan
    from Maryland

Have fun with it. I'm not sure what direction I want to go with it. Different wheel choice, different color, etc. Just looking for ideas. If anyone is bored and wants to mess with it, I'd appreciate it. Probably NOT going to chop it. I don't like the look of four doors chopped.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. SDhotrod

SDhotrod

Thanks for the info!

18. Memph

Memph
    from Washington

SDhotrod, that effect is called HDR. The program Photomatix is great for creating those.

19. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

May i suggest Bomba?
    I dont see many other possibilities really, or a tasteful custom, who cars it has 4 doors.
    Good luck. Bitchen start anyway!

20. I already did this one. Reply 4274 on page 214.

21. Mr. Jean

Mr. Jean

You're welcome. Glad I could help out. :cool:

22. Attention, my fellow Photoshop knuckleheads who want to lay out sharp, clean stripes, flames and scallops! I've got good news and I've got bad news for you. And I don't care which one you want first, I'm starting with the good news.

I found a FREE download of some open source vector drawing software called Inkscape. I've never used Abode Illustrator so I'm guessing that this isn't quite as powerful but it looks to be pretty capable of doing this kind of work.

But before you decide if you want to spend the time to learn how to use it you might want to click this link and at least learn some of the differences between vector art and raster (or bitmap) art. The photos we're all working with here are bitmap images and vectors are a whole different animal.

http://tavmjong.free.fr/INKSCAPE/MANUAL/html/index.php

Laying out vector paths and shapes gives you very precise, clean, straight lines and smooth curves. These shapes can be filled with color and outlined in varying thickness with another color. Then, as James D mentioned before, you can go back and alter your finished shape, move things around and do all the fine tuning you want.

Best of all, you can import a jpeg of the car your working on first and do all the layout right on top of it. It's very similar to working with the Pen Tool in Photoshop.

Now, here's the bad news. This is not photo editing software. You'll still need seperate software for doing color changes, chopping, sectioning, cloning or adding Shadow the cat into your pictures.

Also, Inkscape won't allow you to save your finished work as a jpeg for easy uploading on the web. But you can export your work as a bitmap (PNG file, I think) Then open it in your photo editing software and resave it as a jpeg for easy handling.

Also, I haven't worked with Inkscape too much yet, but it looks like it might like to have a fair amount of RAM at it's disposal. If you've got an older, slower machine, things may seem a little sluggish. But I don't hink it's going to make your 'puter burst into flames.

So if all this talk about vectors and bitmaps and exporting files hasn't put you off yet, click here for your FREE download. :D

http://www.inkscape.org/

Last edited: Jul 8, 2010
  23. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

"Also, I haven't worked with Inkscape too much yet, but it looks like it might like to have a fair amount of RAM at it's disposal. If you've got an older, slower machine, things may seem a little sluggish. But I don't hink it's going to make your 'puter burst into flames.""

So.. you're saying in might not work well on my Commodore 264? (Sigh)

lol Just kidding, thanks for the info.

24. skoh73

skoh73

Will it work pretty well on my Tandy?

25. Alright, wiseguys! So I guess I'm the only one around here who doesn't buy the newest computer every 12 months just to surf the HAMB and Photoshop cats! :eek:

Hope all the smoke escapes out of your Vic 20 or TRS 80 or whatever. Now don't make me go back and edit my original post so it looks like you're talking out your arse. :rolleyes:

Ehhhh. I probably deserve a bit of grief after making that "knucklehead" comment. :rolleyes:

26. SDhotrod

SDhotrod

Alright, wiseguys! So I guess I'm the only one around here who doesn't buy the newest computer every 12 months just to surf the HAMB and Photoshop cats!

Not true. My computer is a Gateway that I bought in 2003. I did upgrade the RAM from 512 MB to about 1.3 GB. It's been a great computer for me.

I downloaded Inkscape a few months back and messed around a little bit with it and then left it sit. It's a bit intimidating at first(it still is), but I've been looking at the online manual that you posted a link to(thank you) and it sure looks like you can do a ton of stuff with the pen/beziers/pen tool. It has so many options that go with that tool that it's mind boggling. If my brain doesn't explode from trying to learn something new, I'm going to try and learn more about how to use it. Hey, if it's free it's for me.

Speaking of open source software, and if you want to go 3D, check this software out: http://www.blender.org/ It's free too. Now this software may seriously tax your RAM.:D;)

27. UnsettledParadox

UnsettledParadox

i love this thread, iv photoshopped a few cars in the many pages but havent seen one in a while that really struck me as interesting to attack.

anyways, i would like to submit my own car for review. i can 'shop it no problem but i just dont have any ideas for it right now. so ill submit a few angles and let you creative geniuses go to work. go as wild as you please. custom, sled, stocker, i dunno. go for it!

thanks in advance for your time!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

28. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

[​IMG][​IMG]

Okay, here ya go. If you ever wanted to go racing on the Salt Flats you could set your wagon up like this.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  29. 55chieftan

55chieftan
    from Maryland

You posted a picture of another car, not a photoshopped version of mine. I was looking for a photoshopped version where people showed a few things/ideas. :)

30. SDhotrod

SDhotrod

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I like what you did with it Eli! Every good race car needs a name.:)
    [​IMG]