Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Rusty 47 Ford Reserection

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by koolkemp, Apr 17, 2010.

1. panhead_pete

panhead_pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wow thats a heavy chop - looks good, whats next a 2" section? :)

2. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Exceptional..INCREDIBLE work......

3. toddc

toddc

Awesome work man :eek::):):)

4. koolkemp

koolkemp

I have an old freezer here that I would like to set up for dipping if I ever get the damn time !

5. koolkemp

koolkemp

I have an old freezer in the basement that I wanted to set up to soak the doors in if I can ever find the time to figure out how I want to do it

6. koolkemp

koolkemp

Wow thanks Jeff , that means alot to me !!

7. koolkemp

koolkemp

Lol no section...it did cross my mind , wouldnt have been too much more work with all the other cuttin and hacking goin on....I did redo the back end of the chop , see following posts :D

8. koolkemp

koolkemp

Finally got some pics uploaded so I could update this...for those that are wondering why the heavy chop here are a few of the historical cars that are influencing the progression of the build...if I had known I would find the coupe parts I would have modified the original chassis and kept it but it was just supposed to be a 4 door year round beater, but as soon as that rotten coupe came into the picture all I could think of was the classic taildraggers I love so much. But there was no way I was gonna consider undoing the chassis work , being an S10 at least I can get it pretty low for not much money and still have good driveability, so heres my influences for the new direction this build took

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I love the Lopez car.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And Gil Ayala's 42...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And the Anne De Valle car ...

[​IMG]

And of coarse the Sam Foose custom from about 76-77 as a 12 year old I drooled over this car!! Even though the chop isnt as low as the older sleds..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  9. GizmoJoe

GizmoJoe

A freezer.
    Man I am stunned (no comments from the peanut gallery!).
    I never thought of that. sheesh
    I made a wooden tank when I did a lot of electrolysis. I lined it with thick plastic first.

Still waitin' on the latest pics!
    BTW... I don 't think your chop really THAT heavy.
    Looks just right. Good proportions.

10. koolkemp

koolkemp

Which is why I had to redo part of the chop there was just too much rake towards the front...I tried to ignore it but as soon as Rikster sent me a pm about it I knew it had to be done, thanks Rik :D

So I marked out another inch on the B pillars and quarter windows and spent about 10 mins undoing about 5 hrs of work lol!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

ahh lookin better already...of coarse I couldnt just drop it straight down that extra inch I had to cut everything loose and re-do it to align it all up , I pulled the rear of the skin down abit more as well so I dont really know what the chop is at the C pillar

11. koolkemp

koolkemp

Here is the sequence for the drivers side area you can see where I completely removed the top of the window opening...it was also a good time to cut out the seams from the driprails that were full of rust anyways,,

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So I made a template of the new opening to use on th epass side...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Much better proportions!! :) On to the door tops next....

[​IMG]

Atwater Mike likes this.
  12. koolkemp

koolkemp

Put a wanted ad on Kijiji looking for a free big freezer thats how I got mine...it was actually newer and in better shape than the one we had so we use it now for food ! How did the electrolosis work with a large volume of water??

13. koolkemp

koolkemp

door tops werent too complicated ...I slaanted them in a bit to match the B pillar by a relief cut at the bottom of the window opening, and a little pressure and a quick tack weld.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I used the removed chunks from the vert posts to fill the space of top they of coarse were not a perfect fit but abit of cuttin and trimming and they worked out great...time for the back window !!

14. koolkemp

koolkemp

Stupid photobucket...anyone else post a pic from there and it loads a different one than you picked..weird, anyways heres the missing pic of the relief cut on the pass door

[​IMG]

15. koolkemp

koolkemp

Off with the window !!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then I pushed the car outside to figure out the profile for the window

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Once it was where I thought it looked best , after lots of measuring side-side and lining up the center line marks I put on earlier I clamped her in , measured some more and went lookin for some donor tin .

16. koolkemp

koolkemp

At first I cut an 8 inch section from the old 4 door roof...wasnt wide enough, so I cut a 12 inch section and it looked good , I did turn it the opposite way to how I cut it off, ie the cut line closest to the windshield went towrds the rear of the car.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. koolkemp

koolkemp

I really liked the angle of how it fit together, especially on the tulip panel so back into the shop for the tedious job of making it solid...edit these pics are out of order start at the bottom of this post and scroll up I anit redoin it!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. koolkemp

koolkemp

Time to roll her out so I can stand back for a good look! Gettin this section tacked in was the most fun I ever had on Canada Day :D:D:D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  19. Now that chop looks heavy.

Only way to go..

Love it..

20. koolkemp

koolkemp

Decided to throw a fender on and the trunk lid for fun , man I am liking the profile, just gotta picture it lowered draggin its ass!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

21. koolkemp

koolkemp

Heres acouple of pics of the progress on welding up the back end...about a million tack welds later and lotsa sparks its about 75% welded up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

oliver westlund likes this.
  22. panhead_pete

panhead_pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wow this is why I LOVE the HAMB - well one of the may reasons.

23. koolkemp

koolkemp

So I sent a pm to Rikster to show him the new profile and see waht he thought about it. He is as passionate (most likely more so) as I am about early customs, and has a great eye for style, and I was pleasantly surprised to get a quick photoshop back of the car with the "correct" stance...cool!!

[​IMG]

Of coarse there were two more pics ...and another suggestion that I had been pondering as well, the quarter window should be a little bigger and a nicer shape at the top to flow more with the roof line , here are Riksters 2 comparison pics

Before:

[​IMG]

After window mods :

[​IMG]

I could probably "live" with them the way they are but its not like a little more welding will hurt anything :D I have the uncut quarter windows from the 4 door roof to use to reshape them so the material is there . I am gonna take some more pics for Rikster of the windows from the sedan and side shots of the car with some 1 inch marks and he has kindly offered to try and come up with a new opening and some measurements, thanks again Rik I look forward to your ideas !

24. paco

paco
    from Atlanta

Although I'm not a trail dragger fan .... I dig the metal work your doing & you might sway my opinion when its done!!

Keep up the good work.

PACO

25. Rikster

Rikster

Fantastic project. Great to see the in progress work photos on the chop...

This one is going to be so nice!!!

26. farmer12

farmer12

Wow, this is some great fabrication! Keep up the awesome work. This is going to be one hell of a car when its finished!

27. Road Oiler

Road Oiler

You have more fabrication skills than I'll ever have, but having said that; you mentioned the quarter window should be bigger. I agree, it looks out of proportion to the other window and should flow more toward the rear of the car. Just my .02 for a newb, but I know what I like as well.

28. superchiicken

superchiicken

29. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Been watching your thread for awhile, very impressive! Can I make a suggestion though? I like Rickster's redo on the quarter windows, but they could be even a bit bigger. They never seem to line up and flow with door windows well when these cars are heavily chopped. How about slanting the "B" pillars to help make all this a bit more cohesive? Barring that, I noticed on your inspiration cars a couple pages back that they all had one mod in common, They rounded the hard corner at the top of the door. Seems to go along way to making these lines all flow. Much Respect, Chip Quinn

30. Rikster

Rikster

When I get a perfect dead on side view photo from Steve.. I will be able to get the perfect proportions on the rear quarter windows. Most likely the stock length at the bottom of the window will be used,(which is much longer than how it is now, and most likely also longer than what's in my Photoshopped image) and then the top section will have to be rebuilt to flow with the top. I don't think Steve will do an angled forward B-Pillar. Most cars in these type of customs from the 40's and early 50's had straight post. But I will show a rounded door top in my next Photoshopped proposal...
    I hope Steve can make the photos today.