Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods >>>1935 Ford Coupe: An Idiots Guide To Buiding A Hot Rod<<< PART 2!!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JeffreyJames, Jun 27, 2010.

1. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Uncle Vic I am trying to keep it period but still add my own personal tastes to this car. I don't need it running in a weekend so I can afford to take the time and do it the way I see in my head. Knowing what I do for a living that's got to make sense. It's like asking you to do a shit job on wiring because they probably would have done that in the day. :D:D:D

2. coolstuff

coolstuff
    from Bettendorf

I just drove my car around the block........I was in such a good mood - then I looked at this thread and realized I simply will never have the time or money to have a nice '35.

Your effort and attention to detail are blowing me away.

I will keep drooling as you post up the updates!

3. I SMELL SMOKE

I SMELL SMOKE

great job on the firewall that turned out awesome. this is going to be a great build to watch keep it up and remember we like pictures!!!! hint hint

4. Shawn M

Shawn M

Keep it up Jeffery! I should have done a build thread when I did my air ride. I took pictures when I got the car on jackstands..................and three weeks later when I got it off the jackstands. I could never make myself stop to take pictures. It takes patience, something I hope to someday have.

This car is gonna be awesome!!!

5. Lookin killer man. I can't belive I'm saying this, but that 265 looks great in there, you collected the right parts for it. Not your typical 350 with a single 4 barrel on a tunnel ram and cheap chrome valve covers...although that would rule.

You have a good eye for making everything work and giving your car a unique look. Thats what I also shoot to do, take something a little ordinary but make it unique. But not drastically. Less is more, get what I'm sayin?
    Anyways I have faith in you JJ, that thing is gonna rule when it (finally) gets on the road.

6. Oh yeah JJ,
    did you know that on the bottom of the center section of a banjo rear there is two numbers stamped in it? Right on the web that goes out to the flange the torque tube bolts to. Divide those two numbers together and it tells you the gear ratio ;)

7. Dude...just effin awesome...stroller kicks butt too...been crazy here tryin' to get settled in but I can't wait to see it in person...thumbs up

8. Will Kimble

Will Kimble

Hey JJ, your car is looking GREAT!

Will Kimble

9. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Yeah well nobody told me to divide them so they made absolutely not sense. All in all going from a 3.78 to 3.54 should be a better choice so I think it'll work out but all that money would have been useful right about now haha!!

Thanks guys for the comments. Last night I painted the rear end and all the leaves. I also started making sure that all the front end suspension pieces are ready for assembly. Knocked out old bushings, fitted new ones. i just have to repaint the front axle and then wait for the paint on the firewall before re installing. Maybe this weekend?

10. Silva

Silva

Looking good man...Keep up the good work.

Congratulations to you and yours, happy parenthood!

11. seriouslybaby

seriouslybaby
    from small town

my husband would probably give up one of our kids for a '35!! need a big brother or sister for the new baby?!?! kidding!

the desoto dash is pretty rad & the stroller... its pretty unbelievable!! the car is looking soooo good!! cant wait to see it finished!

12. Big Nick

Big Nick

Looks great man! Keep at it!

13. Hot LZ

Hot LZ

Anyone here have a photo of the two numbers that are stamped on the banjo rear? I've been looking and still can't seem to locate them.

14. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

UPDATE!!

ALright small update but a really promising one. My good buddy Jeremy came over last night and determined my next step on the road to firewall bliss. After spraying the sealer a couple weeks ago, I determined that there were a few spots that needed attention before I was ready for black. Well I did those last week and blocked them out while getting rid of the few runs that I had in the primer. This is where I was at early last night...

[​IMG]

So Jeremy then thought that a good sanding 400 grit would definitely help and we may not even need a filler primer at all. Well once we got sanding it was apparent just how much the firewall needed the sanding. Everything became nicer and we could see that only another couple coats of sealer would do the trick before we hit it with black. This is where we left off last night after shooting it with 2 more coats. Jeremy said I am getting better at spraying and on friday we'll wet sand again and then spray the black. Stoked!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Shot of my working space....
    [​IMG]

I also took a look at my axle and all the grinding marks that were in it and decided to smooth out some of them before I painted the axle.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Oops a little run!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hit the rear with POR-15 and in this pic it doesn't look great but it's pretty nice. I may or may not scuff it down and shoot single stage black on this when the time comes. Not sure. I may be getting a bit too picky. Lincoln Zephyr Drums are just hanging on.
    [​IMG]

I also got one of my new steering wheels from a restoration company that deals with 50's Corvettes. This one is an exact replica of a 1956-57 Corvette steering wheel and measures 17". I think it'll fit the bill perfect seeing how I'm running a '56 Corvette mill now. I have another coming in that's an original that I bought from the HAMB that will go along with this car's bumps and bruises a bit better. Once thing is for sure, the red that is on there is not nearly the red that matches my car so I'll paint them. I might keep the restored one for my '32 down the road if I can't find a BELL 4 spoke.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Speaking of which, anybody know where to take early Ford rear drums to get turned? It seems like brake shops can't fit them with the tiny opening.

16. Looks good dude...and it should beings that firewall has been your baby for 6 months :D

Seriously looks rad. Like that steering wheel alot!

17. Gotta find a shop with an OLD machine to do em. Old wheel/driveline shop here in town does mine...most new machines won't accept the rear drums

18. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I can't believe that I had the car for almost a year now!!! Where did the time go????

And if you'd get your ass out of PNW and come over and help I could have whipped this car out in a weekend.

19. moter

moter

looking good!!

20. It's hard for me to leave my corner :D

21. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I know and just so happens that I am in that opposite corner so you couldn't be further from the south. Haha!!! Don't worry, give me a few months to recoupe then I'm coming out there to get your ass in gear. I mean sheesh, you only build like 3 cars a year.

UPDATE ON PREVIOUS PAGE!

Last edited: Jul 7, 2010
  22. SMOKINFLATHEAD

SMOKINFLATHEAD
    from SOCAL

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have a totally random question..... What brand sealer primer is this, and did you have it tinted this color. (it looks real close to my top coat color).

23. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Dupont Epoxy Sealer (Dark Green). I can get the actual numbers when I get home if you want. When we shot it the first time a couple weeks ago we used a newer can and it turned out a bit darker. This time it went on a bit lighter so I am not sure what the deal is there.

24. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Seriously looking GREAT man!!!

25. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Thanks Scooter! Let it be known that Scootermcrad has been a huge help on getting this firewall in shape. He's always on the horn ready to answer my questions and shoot ideas back and forth. Solid friend.

26. -Brent-

-Brent-

Dude, the car is coming out killer! Your finish work on the firewall came out really well. I may have missed this, but is the car staying red?

27. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Brent, I am leaving the outside of the car as is forever or as long as I possibly can without the car going down the shitter. The main reason I fell in love with the car is the exterior finish. I love the color RED but I am not sure I would ever actually paint a car that color since it often times looks much different...almost too high dollar. So my plan is to make everything on the car besides the exterior paint brand new such as the engine bay, interior and even the under side eventually. There might be spots where I have to touch up like on the hood and then I'll probably color match and brush paint or Rattle can the areas that need some protection. Pretty much I never want the car to get to nice that I can't set a hammer on the fender or I get tweaked if my kid's bike falls on it one day. Just a cool driver is what I have in my head.

The '32 on the other hand will get a nicer paintjob....to hide all that bondo hahaha!!!

28. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Ph and incase you did not catch this, the firewall with be Dupont Single Stage Black.

29. -Brent-

-Brent-

Very cool, JJ. I like your restraint considering some of the 35/36s you've posted in the past have been "high dollar." This car is turning out great. Terrific attention to detail.

30. :D I don't get it?:D
    Looks good!