Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Aussie Rodders do Santa Maria and on to LARS

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 390cad, Jun 28, 2010.

1. great collection of pics. Thanks for posting all of those! :)

It really makes me wanna bend the credit card (some more :eek: ) and just go!

2. hombres ruin

hombres ruin

And thats why i left australia and live in the states...you cant beat it.so cal is awesome.

3. bonesy

bonesy

Great coverage!

The rest of us within driving distance of LA and haven't done "the rounds" should be ashamed of ourselves. Myself included.

Thanks for the motivation.

4. BCR

BCR

Wow, All the way down under and Megan's thread got you too!

Cool pics, I will be watching for updates.

5. Deu55

Deu55

Thanx for the pix and story , plan on a U.S.A trip in Sept great info.....Rod.

6. HotRodMicky

HotRodMicky

Wow !
    I love the roundtrip threads !!
    Cool story.

7. Church

Church
    from South Bay

Great seeing this stuff through someone else's eyes. It's so easy taking it for granted when it's right around the corner. Would love to do something similar in your country......some day.

8. THE_DUDE

THE_DUDE

Dang man now I'm even more upset I missed the meet and greet in Santa Maria. It would have been nice to meet ya

9. 65 impala

65 impala

wow great thread

10. Jimmy Tee

Jimmy Tee

Magnificent Post. Great Pics.

11. fat141

fat141

Go for it mate, you wont regret it. Bend the bloody card in half.:D:D
    Rod
    See ya at Bright

12. After we had finished at the Petersen Museum being a Wednesday we headed for the Twilight Cruise Night at the NHRA Museum at Pomona , we copped some LA Freeway Peak Hour Traffic on the way so we got there about 6.30pm but there was still a lot of cars in the carpark , the NHRA is a must see also for Hotrod/Racecar fans in LA , my Camera Battery went flat once we got inside as it had been a big day but we still had a look and managed a couple of shots inside , but first the cruise night , you will have to excuse the evening sun in the pics ,
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Is this not Hamb Freindly ???

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

this Merc is just neat ain't it , stock as a rock which works fine ...

[​IMG]

Cool Stude Sedan , nice ride , the Big John Tribute Pickup is Bitchen'

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I couldn't pass up this shot , then you see the reason for the Rubber ...:cool:
    [​IMG]

This 58' Impala looked like a Concourse Resto with a killer Stance and Real Wheels ........

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And then headed inside ...... back soon ....

13. We have already seen some Historic Hotrods but things were getting better at NHRA ........

[​IMG]

The Resto on this car is stunning from where I can see , I am working my way through Bruce Meyer's Collection and haven't been to his Garage .....Sweet .

[​IMG]

And the Belly Tank ...........

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Ed Iskenderian 's T Roadster

[​IMG]

this was about when the Camera dies :eek:

After we had a look around we went back outside and had a bit more of a look and they drew some raffle prizes etc ... then we were watching the cars leave and ended up talking with one of the Cruise night organisers , great guy named Vic , we had been talking for a while about what we have done so far and Hotrodding in OZ and about our cars back home , when Colleen mentioned about her Model A Roadster , next thing we have an invite for Coffee and Donuts at Vic's Place in the morning as they get together to work on a project they want to drive to Bonneville , he stressed not much work gets done but lots of Bench Racing :D Well we had planned to Tour Hollywood and the LA Sights the next day , only fair as we have been doing the HOTROD thing all day .......

[​IMG]

so the next morning we end up at Vic's place and meet the crew :D , the little Roadster was built for Wally Parks and is a Clone of his original Model A , pretty cool , and they did do some work when we were there , thanks guys , this was a great laid back morning with new friends , Vic has a nice little Roadster himself ..

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Once we had taken up enough of their precious working time :) we were back in the area so we thought we would head to So-Cal for a tour , it wasn't until 2pm so we though we would revisit the NHRA as we had rushed it a bit the night before as they were closing soon and the Camera was flat , if you don't live in America you will love this freeway overpass on the way ...............
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

In the Entry ............

[​IMG]

If you are a reader of Rodders Journal you will recognize this peice by Stanley Wanless from an early issue , it is bigger than I thought in real life , stunning detail and cool as

[​IMG]

and the real thing wasn't far away ....

[​IMG]

Still havin fun ?? Back soon ........

14. A Couple more from NHRA .......

[​IMG]

Mmmmmmmmmmm...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

then it was off to So-Cal Speed Shop for the Tour , Gil was handling the counter when we got there , he was amazed that in the Showroom he had Hotrodders from Australia (us) France , Spain and then a couple of more Aussies walked in , ran into an expat Aussie working there as well , Dennis , It was great seeing him again after all these years , Top Bloke . (bit of Aussie Slang there) The Tour through the factory was great and we had a cool Guide , they run tours at 11.00am and 2.00pm which I suppose keeps the shop going the rest of the time as they would get plenty of visits , the guys were great and one of my all time favorite Rods just happened to be there as well , Pete's Limefire ....

[​IMG]
    Screams Hotrod to me ..............
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

jimmy Shine's fathers coupe which they a redoing .......

[​IMG]

I need to put some shiny stuff on my W-Motor when I get home ,

[​IMG]

Mrs Gibbons Car , 61' Coupe's are bitchen' this ones for sale too

[​IMG]

Reverend B Gibbons has a couple of cars here as well , I believe Cadzilla was here recently also , I would have given a kidney to see that car :( love the chop on this coupe , mail slot view .............

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

after the tour we were fortunate enough to meet Pete Chapouris (HOTROD God) in the showroom , bought a pile of stuff and headed back to base , my beautiful wife thought we should check out a little cruise night @ Fatburger on the way back , I was OK with that :D

nice A Tudor there and the Gasser Chev had a sound that scared the Kiddies , Cool as
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Time for some sleep , back soon ...............

15. model.A.keith

model.A.keith

390CAD,

killer pics and a great tour so far............waitin on the rest :D

thanks for posting

16. seriouslybaby

seriouslybaby
    from small town

what an awesome adventure you two had!! one of these days, i hope, the husband & i will get to have an adventure like this!! thanks for sharing!

17. ricardo_rocha

ricardo_rocha
    from Brazil

Very nice stuff!!!

18. boldventure

boldventure

Great pics, liked your commentary too :)

19. rare32

rare32

great thread!!
    we are on our own tour in 4 weeks and most of the places you have been we are headed to....
    this just makes me want to get there even more!!

20. Danny G

Danny G

You fellas sure moved around. We met you in Vegas. Hope you enjoyed your visit.

21. G'day , there plenty more to come , actually enjoying reliving the trip doing the post

its amazing what right there under your nose least you can do it in a real car !!:)

Have a great time , PM me if you need any info , socalcarcullture.com was the go also ..
    When your ready ask for some help from Hambers here , we will be happy to help
    Next time , I hope , might be a little while .

22. Hey Danny G , it was a brief meeting with you and Norm , you are coming up in the thread , was nice to meet you guys and see your Roadsters , how was the rest of your trip ? We did get around a little , did about 3000 miles in all in 3weeks , cad

23. Next day it was time to be tourists again , we wanted to go and have a look at Hollywood and some of the sights and Colleen being a Marilyn Monroe fan she wanted to have a look at her last residence , we headed into Hollywood which was an eye opener , we see so much of this on OZ TV we expected it to be a little different , we went to the Kodak theatre where the Oscars are held and then up to the sign HOLLYWOOD , well as close as we could ,
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And the Beautiful View of LA from Mulholland Drv :eek:

[​IMG]

and Marilyns last Residence ? Westwood Memorial Park in LA , hope this is not distasteful to anyone .

[​IMG]

Then it was off to Santa Monica Peir , end of route 66 and site of of few great Rodders Journal shoots ..............

[​IMG]

then we had heard there was a good restaurant nearby so we cruised up to George Barris's shop in N.Hollywood , had a quick look ...

[​IMG]

at the Munster Coach and the Original Batmobile :cool: amoungst others

[​IMG]

and then headed to this great Dinner spot :D

[​IMG]

which just so happened to be having a cruise Night on Friday ....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Great Resturant !! Phew , we have been in the USA for 1 week . In the morning we headed for Donut Derelicts in Huntington Beach , didn't try the Donut with the Bacon on top though :eek:

[​IMG]

This Indy inspired Model A was killer , everywhere you looked there was coolness ,

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Back Soon ..................

24. Awesome !!

Makes me wanna book the tickets pronto !!

Rat

25. And These ........

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Not everyday you see a Hotrodded Cord Sedan , the following 55'Sedan and wagon were just plain cool .............

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

before we had left to head over to the US I was reading the Current Rodders Journal and they mentioned that Bruce Meyer had the McGee Roadster in the Nethercutt Collection in Slymar , CA so we looked it up and went to have a look while we were in So-Cal , if you don't mind some perfectly restored vintage cars as well I highly recommend a look through this Museum however you are meant to book ahead to look through the collection which is located in another building , we managed to get a ticket in after a cancellation and had a wander along with the tour group , they have 255 cars and have won classes at countless Concourses including Pebble Beach , a great collection of working Nickelodeon Machines which were pre Jukebox Music players and a tonne of other cool pieces . Well worth a look ............ and Free.

The Entry Contained this incredible Bugatti ............

[​IMG]
    The Daughters Roadster ........
    [​IMG]

What we came to see , the Doyle Gammell Coupe and the McGee Roadster on behalf of Bruce Meyer , everything else as far as I know belonged to the family .........

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Into the Collection ................

[​IMG]

into the Grand Saloon , they built this to resemble a showroom in the early Thirties of a exclusive car maker like Duesenberg .....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    hows the cool Art Deco Pebble beach trophy.......

[​IMG]

Back soon ......................

26. THE SPEED ADDICT

THE SPEED ADDICT

That was great!

Looks like ya'all had a good time!

Thanks for sharing!

27. Did you notice the heads and intake on that Indy inspired A roadster. I saw it a couple of years ago and was talking to the owner. He made the heads and intake himself. Incredible workmanship throughout on that car.
    You guys certainly had a good trip. Great photos and description.

28. Yer , I couldn't walk away , I was very impressed with the Manifold , must admit didn't notice the heads as much , Larry O'Toole did a feature in his last Gallery book I noticed when I got home , cad

29. WOW....!

Can't stop staring at it as well as some of the other cars you've captured for this thread!

Great Work!

30. Jimmy Tee

Jimmy Tee

Your trip just gets more & more interesting. I'm amazed by theGrand Saloon showroom. Keep the updates & Commentary coming.