Register now to get rid of these ads!

Glass beads or walnut shells

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Abone29, Jun 30, 2010.

1. Abone29

Abone29

I've got an old Performer RPM intake thats badly tarnished.I've used glass bead before with good results but people are telling me to try walnut shells.Anybody here used walnut shells to clean aluminum?

2. Dak Rat

Dak Rat
    from NoDak

I tried using walnut shells on some carbs after soaking them in carb cleaner. the walnut shells just didn't seem to have enough abrasive qualities to remove any stains etc. Turned the air pressure way up--didn't help. Went back to glass beads and low air pressure, did the trick.

3. Aluminum Oxide >>>>.

4. 53Crestline

53Crestline

I tried walnut shells on steel rims and they didnt' do much good. Went back to glass beads as well.

5. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

There's an acid used to clean aluminum truck bodies ( the unpainted trailers) that works great for brightening up aluminum manifolds, etc. I have used it several times and it works great. Get the part clean and oil free first with Purple Stuff or similar and water and scrubbing. Then scrub on the acid, work it in good and hose it off thoroughly.
    Don't know just what acid it is, but I bet you could go to a place that washes trucks and find it. I get it from a friend who buys it somewhere in 55 gal. barrels.
    Dave

6. 51 BIRD

51 BIRD

Waaaay back when I was in the Air Force,we used Pecan shells to clean up aluminum panels. Also,some type of acid solution that we called "Skin Brite"

7. Abone29

Abone29

Thanks guys,looks like I'm sticking with glass beads.I might look into the acid too.

8. burl

burl
    from Minnesota

Just did one with aluminum oxide,looks like it just came out of the box.

9. Bodger45

Bodger45

The acid I think you are talking about is called Alumabrite. Works great.

10. #### bingo !!! >>>>.