Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ford Rear Drums

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by NORCALCUERVO, Jun 29, 2010.

1. NORCALCUERVO

NORCALCUERVO

So ive been online for 3 hours after spending 2 hours at the local Napa auto parts store and ive still got no answer. Ive got a 1957 ford fairlane 9 inch rearend that i need drums for ....the drums i took off are 11 x 1 1/4 and are a 5 on 4 1/2 bolt pattern...... Now why cant i find these damn things?! Does anyone have a part number or some light on this mystery of mine... or a set of free ones laying around hahaha

2. Measure up your shoe width, 1 1/4 seems too narrom they should be 2 1/4 or something close to that. I looked it up quick at Rock Auto, no drum was listed. I didn't try other years but anything up to 1964 should work. Kanter has them but they are pricy at $100 per.

Take your old drum to the parts store and match them up to 1968-1973 Mustangs and Fairlanes, you might get a hit.

Bob

3. MyronH

MyronH

Went through the same thing on my Fairlane - the drums are unigue not just the year but also the model (Wagons and Ranchos are different too).

I ended up getting them from Macs or Dennis Carpenter - with the rebuild kits they cost more than standard drums of later years

I know - you'd think they would be cheap because it's a Ford 9" but it was the first year of the 9" and there seems to be a lot of engineering "bug fixes" between 57 and 59.

Good luck

4. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

What I always do is upgrade :)

I get the backing plates and drums off a 64/65 Ford ( full size ). They install as a bolt on for the 57/58/59 Ford rear ends. The brakes are wider and they also have the self adjusting feature already.

CarQuest and NAPA has everything for them in their parts catalog NEW ...:D

Just make sure which housing size you have and match them up. Most of the 57/58/59 rears are the small bearing but there are some with the large bearing.

[​IMG]

5. Are the backing plates available new? I have to do complete on my small bearing 1958 rear end, and wouldn't mind ordering everything. Do you have part numbers handy?

Thanks.

6. NORCALCUERVO

NORCALCUERVO

My bad i meant 1 3/4 not 1 1/4 and believe me i tried and both the young kid and old guy at Napa could figure it out.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2010
  7. Buckster

Buckster

A friend was in the same situation. I had a 1961 Ford passenger rear end so he bought the backing plates and almost new drums & installed them onto his housing. The 1961 backing plates are offset so he ended up with a wider brake shoe.

8. Dak Rat

Dak Rat
    from NoDak

Joblot auto in New York advertised them a couple of years ago. Give 'em a try.

9. ford1932

ford1932
    from Canada

I went the 65 for backing plate drum route with new drums. Gave me self adjusters on the rear (front still is manual 54 pu on early ford spindles). 57 rear ends have a differnet offset (axle flange to mount face of backing plate than most later 9 inchers. Could not find new 57 drums anywhere.

10. NORCALCUERVO

NORCALCUERVO

Nice..... I appreciate all the info so now the question....Who has a pair of backing plates that will work on this damn rearend? backing plates and all hardware would be nice

11. NORCALCUERVO

NORCALCUERVO

Went to the swap meet and no luck stopped at pick and pull and nothing .... Is it that hard to get these small bearing backing plates?

12. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

See them on that auction site often. :)

This auction had the large bearing for $300 as in the photo.
    These are for the large bearing but I feel sure they could fix you up a set of small bearing ones. They have over 11 thousand transaction on the bay with 100 per cent satisfaction.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/9-Fo...r_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item563e10363c

I have a few sets of the 57/59 small bearing backing plates but that would not be of any HELP :(

13. paintcan54

paintcan54

Try this number it's what is on my car. Raybests 2620R, hope this works for you.

14. NORCALCUERVO

NORCALCUERVO

Cool im going to call this cat up because i need my car on the road asap