Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Modified Murray - Race to the road! Progress in Review!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by scootermcrad, Jan 19, 2010.

1. Roadsterpu

Roadsterpu

Nice work Scooter. Progress is good my friend. I got some work accomplished on the Wife's wagon finally and it felt good to accomplish something. So I can relate. Great job.

2. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

Good for you man! I'm glad to see that even though it is alot of work, you're not cutting any corners with it. Keep it up!!! Like I said, I'm here for ya with whatever you need!!! :D

3. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Cool man! Successful weekend for both of us then! :D

Dude! You've been such a huge help! I've learned a ton! I feel like I've made smart purchases with supplies and products too. I guess I'm just scared if I DON'T do good prep then I'll have to do it over again and waste a ton of time and money. BTW! The problem I had with the gun was completely pressure related. The regulator on my drier/cartridge filter, that I'm running in-line, was starving the gun regulator. Messed with it and now everything is a-ok!

4. You could rent out the fresh air to the rest of us idiots and recoup your money! ;)

5. freebird101

freebird101

6. dodgerodder

dodgerodder

Holy crap Scott, I see color!! That is really great man, that's a HUGE step!

I feel your pain on the prep work man, it is amazing how many freaking parts it takes to build a car. It's hard enough to build everything, then you gotta prep & paint it!:eek:

Looking good, can't wait to see the frame in some primer

Dan

7. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Way to go on making my shit look like a 3 year old did it Scott. Your stuff looks awesome and your axle makes me want to strip my axle down and paint it again....which I will do tomorrow. Damn you.

8. kieran

kieran
    from San Diego

WOOHOO! nice work scott! way to get some progress on that thing because i've been stalking this thread for an update.

9. The37Kid

The37Kid

That blue is primer and it gets covered in shiny black, correct? Nice work!

10. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes sir! You got it! Just wish it would have been a little darker. Proof that the paint chips/samples in brochures should never be relied upon...

Thanks bud! I need to check up on YOURS also! Yours will be on the road before mine, I'm sure! HAHA! :D

HAHA! Pure luck! And really, not even that lucky since I see more runs than a ski slope I have to attend to since I had those gun issues in the beginning... CORRECTION... Since I had some user error of the gun in the beginning. :eek:

Yeah! You said it, Dan! I think in my head I was really blocking out how many parts there are to paint. I just didn't want to know/think about it. Now I know WHY my mind didn't want anything to do with parts quantity. :eek: Crazy! I think next time I will try to build a car with less parts. :D

Can't wait to prime the frame also! It's deserving of paint! Looking forward to seeing all the lines of the frame come together.

Speaking of... While thinking about how in the hell I'm going to paint that frame, I've decided it REALLY needs some kind of rotisserie so I don't have all that time trying to flip it over and risking the damage to the finish or even just the prep work from handeling it. Have some ideas of what I want to do. Little fab work involved, but it will be worth it for the long run.

11. ... as long as the wheels are RED :D

12. Awesome stuff Scoot....

Damn you got some room there in that garage of yours !!

Rat

13. Scott looking good. The easiest thing I found for a cheap rotisserie for doing a frame is a couple of cheap engine stands modified to go on either end minus the sheels so they don't move around. It really worked well and pretty much zero fab.

14. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yeah, been thinking about that or maybe doing a small Hoop type rotisserie, since I know I have another frame to do after this one that will weigh about 3-times as much ('53 Pontiac frame). A hoop type would require a little more fab work, but I think it will be easier to store, which is important around here. Although there is a lot of floor space in the shop, storage space is at a premium and there's already 3 or 4 stands rolling around here with engines on them. Hoops I could simply slip behind one of the shelves and forget about it until I need them again.

15. 73RR

73RR

Damn fine Scott, Damn fine!!

16. -Brent-

-Brent-

I won't lie... that blue scared me at first... I was wondering if your primer was tinted to match. Thankfully, I continued reading on and saw that you were going with black. This car is going to be a sight to see when it's finished. You got skills, Scoot!

17. Chris Casny

Chris Casny

Just hang the thing from the rafters with wires, like the rest of us:D

18. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

HAHA! Yeah, it's kind of scary, huh?! :D:eek:

I would, except that the rafters are about 35 feet up! :eek: Definitely had some thoughts about that. They're pretty substantial too.

19. The37Kid

The37Kid

Three pieces of pipe or angle iron are all you need to paint the chassis. Attach one to the rear spring mount and the others to the front of the chassis. Set them on saw horses. Paint the bottom first, then grap the two front pipes and flip it over and paint the top. Take the time to figure out how to attach them so they don't mess up the paint work.

20. 35mastr

35mastr
    from Norcal

Scott,You are heading to the finish line. Good to see that you are getting the parts in color.

As for the frame. Just use an engine stand at either end and you will be able to turn it while shooting it.

21. BarryA

BarryA

Nice one Scott - you know you're in the home straight when you start seeing colour on your parts!! (Rusty brown doesn't count, which is all I'm seeing:eek::D)

22. retroridesbyrich

retroridesbyrich
    from Central NC

Scott, I can hardly wait to see this one completed. Wow!

23. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Cub scouts? Aren't you a little old to be in cub scouts? ;):D:p I would hope you're at least a Webelo!

24. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks for the comments guys! Excited for the long weekend so I can get more done!

I've looked at the amount of projects around here that could use the assistance of a Rotisserie (as well as a few good friends who I think could use it as well), so I'm going to go ahead and roll a couple hoops and fab up a hoop rotisserie. It will help with the frame, the body, as well as the next project and another truck that is being build here in the shop. I think it's worth it. And again, I think it will be less combersum to store than a rotisserie made from stands.

25. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Rotisserie huh? When or if I ever get to my '54 Chevy I'll need one of those. Hoping to get the neighbors for few weeks. What's I would like is a lift. That would be extremely useful to build my '32 on so I don't have to keep moving it out of the way to get that big fucking '52 in the garage.

26. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

1.5" x .120 wall tubing was just dropped off! Commitment made!

[​IMG]

27. Roadsterpu

Roadsterpu

Sounds great Scooter. Please make sure it is strong enough to hold my 4 door Caddy:D PLEASE!!!!!

28. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Dude! I don't think any rotisserie would hold THAT thing! :eek::eek::rolleyes: HAHA! It WOULD however hold your roadster body! :D

29. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Very cool, Dave! This was one of my favorite activities with my Dad when I was a kid. Of course the biggest thing I looked forward to was the Pinewood derby. In fact... I still have all my cars and because I'm still a kid at heart, a machinist buddy and I are entering SEMA's Pinewood event this year in the "unlimited" class. A belly tanker, of course! :D

30. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Haha! Your... uhum... son, makes pretty cool cars! :D