Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Jet Fighter Canopy (Not Off Topic)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Candy-Man, Jun 26, 2010.

1. I recieved your Pm and will answer once I've checked. In the past guys used all kinds of combos, including tailgunner ops. The problems with military windscreens and canopies is most are to heavy and to big. The last person I ended up helping with this problem that was on a budget used left and right sections of the windscreen off an A-10 Thunderbolt, only problem with using windscreen sections is you end up with a seam down the center. I have A-10 forward sections at present along with other combos, but my fighter combos are just to big. The best thing for you to do if your buget can swing it is to contact PITT Aircraft and or they're suppliers, some of the small one piece canopies are a perfect size.

Hope this helps, will check further for you.

2. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

I'll second checking out the homebuilt airplane suppliers like Aircraft Spruce and Wick's. You may end up going to kit suppliers directly...

3. Candy-Man

Candy-Man

Excellent, I have looked at Aircraft Spruce Canada web site. They have numerous canopies listed for glidders. I'll be contacting them Monday.....

Thanks Again...

4. Candy-Man

Candy-Man

I'll let you know if I strick out up here first.... Thanks for the offer....

5. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

This is what makes this place so great.... folks offering there solid ideas and info....
    thanks again fellas!

6. So, where is the artists concept of the thing? I think one of you can draw a littl? ;)

7. Candy-Man

Candy-Man

Norwell has his elves working on it as we speak..... They just finished breakfast...

8. ooops

Last edited: Sep 22, 2010
  9. Moose223

Moose223

You might try Hannigan M/C Fairing windsheilds for the early frame mounted BMW and others, I bought one years ago and the measurements are close and just might be the ticket. They might still be around.
    Moose:rolleyes:

10. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Oh there is some quickie sketches floating around....:) nothing special or concrete....

The wing may have to go..... cause it may be classified as a Liner...and Candy man wants in the GL/XO class.....
    But I thought a small dorsal fin would be neat.

Any how.. that Spruce place is 20 minutes down the road... going there this week....And we just found out that any old vintage glider canopys are usually brittle and junk.....new is the way to go...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 27, 2010
  11. mike1951

mike1951
    from Colorado

What about a Pitts Special?? They did have that show on "car czar" where they rebuilt the dream truck...you know the 54 olds converted into a truck...did you see that one? The windshield cracked and they formed another one out of plastic/ like lexan...they heated it up in a furnace over a mold and it formed to fit the old windshield.... Why not build a mold of what you want and form it to fit?

Attached Files:

12. Cool! thanks for the sketch Jeff!

13. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

I dont have my rulebook in front of me , but if you're planning on running that thing I'm pretty sure the bubble has to be Lexan, not plexiglas. The Lexan is a bugger to form...
    If that little fin puts you into the liner class we are in a heap of trouble.
    It shouldn't be classified as a liner unless you cover the wheels. Open wheeled with shaped bodies are lakesters.

Attached Files:

14. mike1951

mike1951
    from Colorado

you are probably right.

15. FRITZ

FRITZ
    BANNED

I got what you need!
    I have 2 in stock 28W by 46L and about 13 or 14 inches deep
    I can get you a smaller size of about 22w X 28L by about 11 deep
    Jeff has my number
    FRITZ

Attached Files:

16. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

17. crash11049

crash11049

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

From 1960 article in Best hot rods by Ed Roth sorry photos not scaned

18. Daddyfink

Daddyfink

19. Candy-Man

Candy-Man

I'll need some special tires for ice, do you have any ? Ha Ha Ha

I'm just a litte east of the Qunite area.....

20. Candy-Man

Candy-Man

Are you running front runners all around your tank? If so, how tall is your rear tire?

Thanks......

21. great post with lots of info. keep it going

22. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

Yep, frontrunners all around . The fronts are 28 inchers, the rears are 26 inch. The car is front wheel drive however, so the larger tires are the driven ones. The manufacturers do not recommend using their 30 inch tire for landspeed racing.

23. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

24. scottybaccus

scottybaccus

25. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

This is a great thread! Bump !

26. mike1951

mike1951
    from Colorado

I go back to Chaz....check the rule book and make sure that what you are droppin cash on will be correct for your class...

27. Candy-Man

Candy-Man

Dave is that the building on the west side of the 400 south of 7, with the bubble windows on the side of the building?

28. Candy-Man

Candy-Man

Excellent that is the place, however; I called them after your posting and they will not venture away from the usual sky lkights, etc. as it takes away from their production... And refuses to touch Lexan molding....

Thanks for positing their web site....

Last edited: Jun 28, 2010