Register now to get rid of these ads!

LARS: It Was a VERRRRYYYY Long Weekend....but WORTH IT!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by KIRK!, Jun 22, 2010.

1. Hot Rod Bob

Hot Rod Bob
    from T-ville Ky

Wish I could have been there so I could have asked what coolant you use! Hey it's funny now (I hope)

2. Wikster

Wikster
    from Phoenix

Kirk, thanks again for the shift knob. It made the perfect fathers day gift. Can't wait to see the street rodder pics. The Legion was drawing crowds all weekend, such a bad ass car! Good to meet Matt and bummed his coupe didn't make it down.

3. Spike!

Spike!

..and Kirk, I didn't mean to gloss over the fact that the car is beautiful and focus on the studio. That car is amazing... I want a modified some day. Its just that I love shooting in studio, and that one, as well as the TRJ studio, are ones to die for. I wish I could afford the space to rent...or own...

Anyway, great car!

Spike

4. KIRK!

KIRK!

Cool. We definitely had early European road racing in our ingredients.

5. Tom davison

Tom davison
    from Phoenix AZ

Nice car. I regret somehow missing it there.

I assume those headlights are an old aftermarket item. I've seen them around a lot and yours is the only car I have seen with them to which they look like they belong.

6. KIRK!

KIRK!

Thanks. They are rare LaVey-Crowley units.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Tom davison

Tom davison
    from Phoenix AZ

So, is that a blister on the sides where they mount or is it just the reflection of the headlight unit? Either way, it works as a cool detail.

8. KIRK!

KIRK!

Just a reflection.

9. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Wow, you must have sold your soul to get those. :eek:

10. -Brent-

-Brent-

Ha! Had I not searched Google, I wouldn't have known the origins of those lights.

11. GEBHARD

GEBHARD
    from TX...

thats awsome!.....did you buy them from his auto shop...ha ha

Attached Files:

12. wingman9

wingman9
    from left coast

Kirk,
    I talked to you about 8:30 or so Saturday morning. You were remarkably calm after your 'incident'. The Legion Special was easily the most innovative car there. Awesome. You are my new hero. :D

13. KIRK!

KIRK!

Shit happens.

Thanks for the compliment.

Please set your sights higher. :D

14. alchemy

alchemy

Ah, now I see the light. Or is it the darkness?

15. KIRK!

KIRK!

Mail order.

16. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Kirk, I notice you sidestepped the question on "TRAILERING" the car, lack of bugs, dings in the soft aluminum, etc. suggests that you did trailer the car, even tho its a beauty, never give up the shear pleasure of DRIVING your roadster, for a camera's sake.
    Just finished cleaning my roadster today after driving down to LAR show & swap, can't believe all the bugs, rain, road rash accumulated in 2 weeks of travel 2217 miles round trip.----Keep the shiny side up!!----Don:D:D

17. Oh Really? Do tell.

18. KIRK!

KIRK!

No sidestepping. I figured everyone knew we trailered it. We told everyone we talked to. The plan was to drive it, but Matt's coupe wasn't ready. Good thing, because we'd have blown the headgasket in the middle of nowhere.

I have a 2500 mile trip planned in a few weeks, but with the motor issues it's not looking so good.

19. retroridesbyrich

retroridesbyrich
    from Central NC

The car looks great. New car woes will be solved I'm sure. Great job guys!

20. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Hey you could have traveled with us after all. I'm glad I didn't try to drive mine this time either. I think I have narrowed down my backfiring problem to a lean condition caused by the fuel pressure regulator. Think I'll just pull it off and see how it runs.
    Gary

Attached Files:

21. KIRK!

KIRK!

How did you figure that out? We're still trying to figure out what shot the temp through the roof. Did the thermostat stick? We tested it and it took far more than 180-degrees to open it, then it didn't open smoothly. One hypothesis is that it didn't open, built up a bunch of heat/pressure, then released all at once, blowing the top hose off.

Leaning out is another possible culprit.

The head is off and at the machine shop as of Friday. UGH!

Last edited: Jun 28, 2010
  22. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

I started a hamb thread "Help me fix my Kookie Kar engine" and one of the geniuses told me to stop looking at ignition "stupid" and check the fuel. I did and turned up the fuel pressure regulator and it ran better. I took it for a ride and it started running bad again after about 20 miles. Like I said I think I'll just take it off and see how it runs.
    Lean or retarded spark can cause it to heat up. A stuck thermostat can too. If you don't find a blown head gasket why don't you just take out the spring and flapper from the thermostat and just run it as a restricter.
    I'm having problems with overheating in my 48 Ford with the Cad. engine too. Thinking the stock fuel line is too rusted and restricted to deliver enough fuel to the two fours.
    Gary

Hope you figure out your problem soon. Just remember there is a lot of knowledge on the hamb. I just don't have a lot of it.
    Gary

23. KIRK!

KIRK!

That's the plan.