Register now to get rid of these ads!

street freak nova thrash

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 8FLEET9, Jun 17, 2010.

1. 8FLEET9

8FLEET9
    from MASS.

so my boss has this crappy 63 nova that has been sitting in the back garage for some time now, only to occasionally be brought out to "work" on it. this usually consists of us picking it apart & discussing how crappy of a car it really is, then parking it out back.

well, the nova some how got on his good side & is now being rebuilt as a nose high street freak. we got lotsa goon-hand to make right on this load.

last friday we drove the nova in the shop & hacked the front suspension out of it to make room for a junkyard solid axle out of a 2 wheel drive jeep cherokee.

[​IMG]

obviously we cut all the brackets off ground it smooth & welded on new perches. this got us a nice disc brake upgrade and the track width is spot on. the axle is reversed keeping it rear steer allowing us to use the factory steering box and pitman arm. the pitman arm stud was removed, leaving a big hole to fill. to fill this hole we used the factory jeep pitman arm. we cut the hole where the stud goes through off the arm ground it down with an angle grinder to just fit in the factory nova arm. heated the nova arm & press fit the jeep nub in then welded it all up. this allowed us to use a parts store jeep drag link. of course now it has a few custom bends in it for oil pan clearance and to line up with the tie rod correctly. all this is suspended from the factory nova subframe with trailer springs & associated brackets & such from e-trailer.com

[​IMG]

so as of tonite this car has no drivetrain, no brakes, no wiring, no nothing really, but we got plenty of spare parts to thrash this thing together for our self imposed deadline of august 6th, the milltown returns 4 show in palmer mass. see you there.

[​IMG]

2. lorodz

lorodz

wow you guys are really killing it.....

what is the front axle out of...year and make..close up shots

3. That "piece of crap" looks nicer than most of the cars I've owned! The jeep axle is a good idea. more pics/details please.

4. Deuces

Deuces

Looks good from where I'm sittin'..... Crappy is when it's F.U.B.A.R. This one here looks like it can be saved....

5. jonzcustomshop

jonzcustomshop

here is some axle info I found on a google search:
    another option on a straight front axle is go find a 2wd 1987-2001 jeep cherokee and looky under the front.. you might like what you see....

[​IMG]

ignore all of the non-factory stuff... that's a Jeepspeed series cherokee that's being built for desert racing.

as you can see it's a nice straight beam axle that's about 60" wide wms-wms. grind all of the factory brackets off and fab up what you need.

you get disk brakes, 5 on 4.5 lug pattern, and ball joints. the wheel bearings are unitized hub bearing assembly on 93 and later... 92 and earlier use and actual spindle with serviceable bearings.

6. 8FLEET9

8FLEET9
    from MASS.

yeah, ours is a 93+. once you cut all the brackets off it really is a nice useable & readily available axle. ours was $125 complete & delivered from a local junkyard. i think the total $ in the solid axle swap is right around $4 hundo.

7. this model A belongs to a hamb member and is using one

[​IMG]

8. outlaw56

outlaw56
    from Hines, MN

Funny Jeep XJ's have cool parts?! Yea, Hotrodders find what looks good and make it work.

9. lorodz

lorodz

glad to see someone found another axle to use beside the old 60's econoline there getting hard to find ....

10. I've got one of those in the garage and a 96 two wheel drive cherokee in the driveway....lol

11. 8FLEET9

8FLEET9
    from MASS.

shaved about another 50lbs off the nose by hacking out the inner fenders on this beautiful 80 degree day.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

tomorrow we're gonna clean up the frame rails "all purdy like" and brace the motor mounts up a lil better. we plan on getting some down tubes made up to connect the firewall to the front subframe.

@ swade41, awesome pic

Last edited: Jun 18, 2010
  12. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

Damn, your Nova makes me want a Nova. I better seek medication right away!!

13. lorodz

lorodz

14. Wow, you guys are doin' one helluva job!

15. milltownrodz

milltownrodz

digg it man........cant wait to scope it out at milltown.....

16. 8FLEET9

8FLEET9
    from MASS.

3 days, no progress. get on my boss.

can't wait for milltown

17. lorodz

lorodz

go kick em in his butt ..he needs motivation...

18. fitzee

fitzee

Cool use of new parts. never thought of them axles.Cool car too

19. 64Cyclone

64Cyclone

Holy crap! I work at a Dodge Jeep dealer and I've been thinking about that for many years. For those that don't know, the 2x4 Jeep Cherokees had a dummy straight axle so it would bolt up just like a 4x4 frt housing. It was just a straight empty tube instead of a complete frt end. Way to think outside of the box!

20. badduce

badduce
    from aristes pa

you better make that draglink level or you will have bumpsteer like crazy

21. 8FLEET9

8FLEET9
    from MASS.

it's "Z"d to run as level & parallel as we could get it without totally re-engineering the the steering. so no it's not perfect & will prolly develop some bump steer, but i think it'll be ok. it's most likely gonna wind up with a steering dampener shock.

22. milltownrodz

milltownrodz

bumpsteer is the 666

23. 8FLEET9

8FLEET9
    from MASS.

here's the small block we're using.
    it's a 400 out of a friend of a friends wrecked third gen camaro, we know the car and we know the motor's a strong runner.
    [​IMG]

24. shtbox

shtbox

man, that thing is really looking tough already....nice job!!! I used a Jeep DJ front axle (mail jeep) in an Austin I was building. nice and narrow. the only trouble was wheel choices, due to the fact that it required such a large center hole in the wheel to clear the big Jeep hub....does the cherokee axle have that problem??? I am collecting parts right now to straight axle my 65 Rambler, and may consider what you have done to save $$$$. the speedway kit is too much for me. keep the pics coming!!!

25. lorodz

lorodz

nice motor choice .hurry i wanna see it go ..

26. milltownrodz

milltownrodz

27. 8FLEET9

8FLEET9
    from MASS.

lil bit of progress on the 400, got a new timing chain installed as well as a new oil pan & gaskets. engine bays pretty much all set to drop the drivetrain back in this week.
    [​IMG]

28. 8FLEET9

8FLEET9
    from MASS.

well looks like my boss is wussing out on the dual quad tunnel ram, "due to time constraints", in favor of a very lame low rise single plane torker intake. let him know hoew you feel about this...

29. Dynaflash_8

Dynaflash_8
    from Auburn WA

tell him the tunnel ram is like having a hot girl naked in front of you, and choosing the 80 year old hooker instead

30. 8FLEET9

8FLEET9
    from MASS.

the tunnel ram lives!

for now...

it's actually bolted on & i just finished up running the fuel lines.

[​IMG]

so glad we didn't just rubber line it:D