Register now to get rid of these ads!

History 64/65 Comets old drag cars lets see pictures

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by apound, Feb 17, 2009.

1. stinsonart

stinsonart

Dunno if this fact has been mentioned but the bid on Beswick's Comet stopped at $310,000 at Mecum's. Anyone know if it sold?

Bill

2. CENTURION

CENTURION
    from SEATTLE

Hello:

If I may have your feedback:

Regarding original vintage Altered Wheelbase 1965 Comets:

As we know the trunk floor is the upper outside surface of the Fuel Tank. Attached are two pics of original vintage Altered Wheelbase 1965 Comets all of which are altered from center 1/4 panel forward thus leaving center 1/4 panel aft intact.

In your opinion was the 1965 Comet with the aforementioned trunk floor as the upper outside surface of the Fuel Tank and combined with the long tail segment simply too structually flimsy to do the Altered Wheelbase mods of the method where the entire back half is rolled forward as an assembly?

I have never seen pics of a vintage 1965 Comet having an altered wheelbase method other than seen in the pics.

Please comment and thank you again!

Attached Files:

• DDDDD.jpg
      DDDDD.jpg
      File size:
      161.2 KB
      Views:
    • hcy.JPG
      hcy.JPG
      File size:
      72.7 KB
      Views:
  3. Judd

Judd

I see no reason why it's anything other than it was done the quickest easiest way looking at my Comet. These modifications where done durring the race season between races.

4. choke

choke

My 66 Nova AWB car is altered from mid-wheel well foward. It was done in 66 but looks structuraly sound. Only problem is your left w/ a long rear wheel well. Some people like it some don't!!!!

5. Analog Dog

Analog Dog
    from Utah

The red 65 Comet was originally ordered by Jimmy Pflueger as a B/FX Comet.He tried to get a A/FX but couldn't.Therefore he ordered the B/FX and had it converted to A/FX.For reference he used Dyno Dons A/FX Comet.Earl Char was the driver.

6. 65COMET

65COMET

Most of the cars were altered as quickly as possible so they could stay competitive.Looks and astheticks[spelling?] took a back seat to function in alot of cases!!!If you look at old photos of the altered wheelbase cars many of them were sagging and the doors were all screwed up,they just needed to last for awhile until new cars could be built. JMO,ROY.

7. teddisnoke

teddisnoke
    from So Cal

Roy is spot on. If you ever saw an unrestored, original altered wheelbase car, you might cringe. I've got a few pics of the old Rapidway Disposal AWB Dart that makes you wonder how the car held itself together during its 140 plus passes!!!

8. havi

havi

That's half the fun, ain't it? lol.

BTW, there's a '65 Comet Cal. for sale locally, if anyone's interested or wants to front me $1850. :rolleyes:

9. 65COMET

65COMET

I'm suprised any of the cars from the A/FX era even survived.If you look at what Alan,George and Dale,or anyone building a new altered wheelbase car,or a fast car,are going through to keep them in one piece,it is a wonder there was anything left to restore!! I have more tubing in my 65 than six of those cars had combined!!! ROY

10. dogpatch customs

dogpatch customs
    from ohio

yeah some of the pics amaze me. but like you guys said it was get together quick and quick down the track, at least since i'm a shitty welder my welds will look period correct, haha.

george

11. dragway classic

dragway classic
    from U.P.

just think,many of these racers made a living doing the Match Race circuit,there were very few National events.Being from the Midwest I was fortunate to have started going to the strip in 64.Gil Kohen owned many tracks and on a regular schedule would have not only have Sat.&Sun. races but at his popular tracks would have Tues.Nite Match Races also.If you got on his GOOD list you could race at New York National on Sat.,be at Motor City on Sun. and then at Detroit for the Tues.Nite race.So where was there time to do PERCISION work.Hack jobs were common,let alone try something new.The crews and drivers from the Match Race ERA were NO premadanna's,they loved racing.They got very little sleep,ate out of a cooler,and slept at times on or in the trailer trucks.These were some OUTSTANDING racers!

12. CENTURION

CENTURION
    from SEATTLE

Thank you for all the great input.

Attached are two more pics.

One is of the legendary DDN doing an AWB body work on his 1965 Cyclone. Notice of how the wheelhouse outer has been delaminated from the 1/4 panel. On our AWB street cars we must have a water tight alteration with all the carpet and electrical installations. It is amazing of how during the 60's the Drivers seemingly did engine, body, suspension, electrical and even drove the car and crew from strip to strip even without todays Plasma cutters, Mig welders, Lap tops, Cell phones ect. I am 49 years young and I recall in the 60's one store being open on Sundays and ZERO gas stations being open 24/7. I believe they all closed at 9 PM back then.

Attached Files:

• DD.JPG
      DD.JPG
      File size:
      32.5 KB
      Views:
    • int.jpg
      int.jpg
      File size:
      491.1 KB
      Views:
  13. 65COMET

65COMET

The racers back then weren't treated like some over paid movie star,they had to do it all!!Most of them had open car trailers or open ramp trucks carrying the basic items needed to race and criss crossed the country match racing to pay the bills so they could keep racing!!! In my opinion the professional races[NHRA,IHRA],are just a big circus aimed at just making a buck!!! JMO,ROY.

14. teddisnoke

teddisnoke
    from So Cal

Then I say to you all: "Let the privateers back in the game!!" Anyone remember when the push cars were the motorhome, or the tow wagon?? Then NHRA said no more. ..

When growing up, we'd go out to Pomona, and sat and watched the races at the finish line, on top of a motorhome, backed up to the track. No more..
    Pedro, nice to see a picture(?) of your car for the first time.
    Dale

15. 65COMET

65COMET

Dale;you know what NHRA stands for? NoHotRodsAllowed!!!One of my sons and his family live near Las Vegas and I try to get up to see the NHRA circus with him.Last year part way thru Fridays qualifying NHRA desided to start charging for reserved seats after everyone had been there all morning!!!! We returned after having lunch[WAY overpriced] only to be told we needed to buy a reserved seat,WTF!!!!I don't go anymore!! I do race there for there Heritage Series Race but won't go as a spectator,hell,it is cheaper to race!!! ROY.

16. 64Cyclone

64Cyclone

I missed Mercuryjunkie in my walk around at the NHRA Reunion but I did get a few pics of Comets.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Falconred

Falconred

18. dscomet

dscomet
    from michigan

how did you aquire those pictures of arnie beswick comet those pictures were not mecum web site

19. 65COMET

65COMET

Falconred;the picture of Steve's and Ken's Comets is AWSOME!!! Two of the best looking 64 & 65 Comets out there!!! Thanks for posting. ROY.

20. Roy,
    You missed the BEST EVENT Ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Dude we had a blast, I ended up taking 577 photo's with my first camera and still need to down load my second one.. plus Kenny's stuff, we are gonna have some way Kool pics and video for you guys!!!!!!

21. projim64

projim64

Roy ,sorry you could not make it this year. It was a great time and some great bench racing with the Colorado group . Maybe you could come in for the York Reunion and the unveiling of the Ronnie Sox Comet. If not maybe next year we can all get together some where in the middle of the country and make some passes . Jim.

22. 65COMET

65COMET

Jim;I am kicking myself for not going!!! I did not know they had a Hot Rod[HR]class to run my Comet in.Jody told me you need a big block in N/SS so I didn't think there was a class for my Comet.The NHRR looks to be so much better than the CHRR!! The CHRR is more of a big circus than a nostalgia race.way too many wierd classes and rat-rods and politics! ROY.

23. 64Cyclone

64Cyclone

I wanted to meet Ken up there but when I found his trailer, he wasn't there but we saw his dad go down the track so I assume he was watching. I was going to go back...but my truck was on the opposite side of the track from his trailer (near the end of the 1/4 mile) so everytime I went for a beer it was like a 1/4-1/2 mile. I was getting pooped! I must have walked 6 miles up there. ;)

24. teddisnoke

teddisnoke
    from So Cal

Roy, sounds like us West Coaster may have to do a road trip in the future.

25. mercuryjunky

mercuryjunky
    from arvada,co

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Roy,
    Went flying for the first time at BG. AWESOME!!!!!! Had the best time.Unfortunetly That Steve " THE SNIPER " McBLANE With that Dyno Don 65 comet put me on the trailer.What a ingrate gave him free water and everything.

Looks like I'll have to go up to York 30/Beaver springs in two weeks and kick some butt.

Something special in the works for all those who go up to York 30

Special Thanks to all new friends that made the event one of the best.

Tunnelbolt Steve, Projim64 Jim, Troublemaker Jody, Mr Twister George

64 cyclone sorry I missed you, definetly going to be back

Last edited: Jun 22, 2010
  26. 35touring

35touring
    from Kentucky

Mercuryjunky, saw your car at Bg, great job, car looks really nice.

27. mercuryjunky

mercuryjunky
    from arvada,co

Thanks it was something.Just need to get a couple more things worked out and I will be more competative next year,Did you come down to the trailer and say hi. Met a lot of people over the weekend.

28. 65COMET

65COMET

Ken;I met Steve and Jim in 2004 while at Carlisle for the T-Bolt 40th Anniversary show,two GREAT guys!! I hear your Comet was a "HIT", and is staying back East and being lettered getting ready for the York,US30 show and race,TOO KOOL!!!! I guess I need to save my pennys and put a FE in my Comet!!!! ROY

29. 65COMET

65COMET

Dale;I'm up for a major road trip next year!!!!It couldn't hurt to have at least two more Comets in BG!!!!Like I said in the post above,I guess I need to put a FE in my Comet so I can legally run with those N/SS guys.I guess they don't want my "little" Ford motor to embarrass some of those big blocks! I tried to run with the Texas Outsiders in OK in 2004 but same rules,OH WELL!!! ROY.

30. mercuryjunky

mercuryjunky
    from arvada,co

Roy its been a crazy week for sure.Steve,Jim,Jody and his Dad made the show that much better.Nothing like hanging out with some friends at the track.I'm so glad that they all came down.That rumour may be true about my car being hi jacked and hidden in a graphics shop in Philly somewhere,protected by a big Grizzly.Unforutunatly I had to get back home and start working my Ass off to cover this crazy adventure.I wouldnt stress over the big block thing.They had a Hotrod eliminater class that Dad went two rounds in that was killer.Had a few 460 thunderbolts in there.Fast Eddie is going to take his falcon and run it in there next year.Another reason why this event was better than CHRR.Would love to see more Comets represent though,same story a couple in the show and just a couple racing.Still unpacking,have tons of pics to put on.

On the flight home They wouldnt give me a set of junior wings so I can put on my jacket Damn it.

Ken