Register now to get rid of these ads!

New Banger RPU

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by trestles126, May 24, 2010.

1. neverliftmotorsports

neverliftmotorsports

That is a cool little truck. Run the wheels off it.

2. That is a great little pu, If you can, find a good service book on model a's. It will show all the in's and outs of lubrication etc. Enjoy!! Also check out the monthly "banger" mtgs. on here and Fordbarn.

3. Anti-freeze prevents rust in your engine.
    Lars

4. norville

norville

nice truck. It has taken me many years and vehicles to figure it out, but that is my next vehicle... once I get my 52 f1 back together....

bob

5. trestles126

trestles126

that explains the low oil pressure haha as for running hotter isnt cooler better? id think trying to make it run hotter with a thermastat would be the opposite of what you'd want to do. any tips on adjusting valves? very new this banger i think it may be so simple its confusing. Im not a huge motor head but know my way around a motor with a bit of help. Ive notice that in the first low RPMs of 1rst and second gear the thing sounds and performs as if its starving for gas...sputters a bit than with a bit of throttle catches up and does fine. only that first lil bit of gas applied. Carb issues? jets plugged perhaps. i know it could be a number of things. just tryin to get it figured out. I ordered a model a handbook off ebay for 25 bucks seems to be pretty straight forward and to the point waitin for it in the mail

6. trestles126

trestles126

well, bought a front grill bezel made by vintique inc for 50 bucks. the original was broken off and stolen right before i bought the car. Took some scotch brite to it and roughed up the finish a bit and made it look not so out of place....couldnt justify spending the money on a original specially if the last one got stolen

takin the car to get the tan canvas button on cover for the bed made on tuesday. gonna drive it up to Reids in Orange to have them order up a walker radiator for it....

Attached Files:

7. Mark H

Mark H
    from Scotland

Very cool truck,indeed!

8. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Reminds me of Larry Shinoda's RPU from back in the day. Very cool little truck. Two thumbs up for keeping it running while you do the upgrades. Nothing worse than having a new ride all torn down sitting for months or years while you struggle to get it going.

Frank

9. trestles126

trestles126

how the last 4 projects have turned out since i was 18 ive always bitten off more than i can chew and sold the projects....this one my goal is to just learn the banger motor and keep her running strong and do lil cosmetic and reliability upgrades as time goes on

10. Wildfire

Wildfire

Regarding your carb, the 94 has three holes that control the motion of a verticle rod. I think this controls how/when gas comes on (I'd call it the accelerator pump, but I could
    be wrong). I can't give the tech because I don't know it - but I had a similar problem.

Mine was set up on one of the ends and I moved it to the center hole - problem gone. Since the only other adjustments are jets, give that a try and see what happens.

11. Sutton Speed

Sutton Speed

Be sure and check out CW Moss next door to Reid's when you go... awesome place. Give me a call sometime this week and i'll help you tinker on it.

12. Speechless! Awesome find, I cant believe I did not see this before!

13. trestles126

trestles126

i think the starving fuel sympton problem is when the motor isnt completly warmed up in sunny so cal how long you guys lettin yours warm up after a few days of sittin before drivin ? btw this thing fires right up

ya nathan i'll hit you up plan on ordering the radiator soon....roadster show this weekend probbably drive the DD out

14. trestles126

trestles126

dropped the truck off this morning at the mom and pop upholstery shop and picked it up a few hours later. came out pretty good and I'm happy with the color i picked. Talked to the mom and pop radiator shop a few doors up and they are gonna boil, clean, flush, fix, and paint my radiator for 45 bucks....pretty sold on that may even buy um a 12 pack too...its nice to have shops like these around still

Attached Files:

15. -Brent-

-Brent-

Is that a homemade intake manifold? If so, can you post some closer detailed pics of it?

Love the RPU, Trestles. It looks like a lot of fun.

16. Hey, That cover looks Great! Hell, the whole thing looks Great!!!

17. trestles126

trestles126

well took the radiator down to the local mom and pop radiator shop they tried fixing it but everytime the radiator had 5psi or so put into it a new leak would form in the tube a bit above the old repair....they tried fixin it 3-4 times and same thing kept happening.

ive been told to try to avoid a new radiator, but if all else fails whats the closest to stock in performance, flow, and looks that i can pick up?

18. GARY?

GARY?

In regards to a new radiator. They can be run with a high pressure cap but my understanding is the motor can start springing leaks before the cap pops.
    I run a 7 lb. in my flatty V8 with a R. Davis Racing alum. radiator.
    In my 4banger I use the stock (no pressure?) cap.

The motor needs to get up to operating temp. My 4banger runs nice around 180 degrees. Below that it pops and farts a bit.

Really nice truck by the way.

19. trestles126

trestles126

ya ive been told to run a non pressurized system in the banger cause i'll just blow the water pump seals a bunch. just trying to find a company that can make an identical radiator to the one i got...for now just gonna throw it back in it and keep addin water till i can get one ordered up

20. Nort

Nort
    from Anaheim

On the radiator, go to Orange on Chapman right down the street from Reids and C.W. Moss is Hoffman radiator, talk to Don, he builds a lot of Model A radiators.

21. Chalupa55

Chalupa55
    from So-Cal

I love the truck. Hope to build one like it someday.

22. PM Sent! I may have something to help.

23. trestles126

trestles126

got the walker radiator installed fit nice had to do some tweaking on the outside to get the 32 shell to fit over it snug. Started mocking up the top for it today and plan on gettin it upoulsterd this month. having a issue with my tach bouncing and both oil pressure and water temp gauge not working havent had time to check for bad grounds or figure it out.

If you guys could post some pics of RPU pickups with fabric tops that would be great mainly curius how they buttom on the bottom and the top windsheild area.

Attached Files:

24. photoman

photoman
    from Texas

Looks like fun! Kind of a dumb question but how fast will that thing go?

25. trestles126

trestles126

26. trestles126

trestles126

finally got around to drivin the rpu the 35 miles up to my buddies house where he helped me make some new grill shell tabs and tigged them on. cars lookin complete again. its a tad off due to gettin a emergency call for work but gonna align it better this week

any recommendations for guys to make me a top have the bows and everything ready just ready for the upholstery

Attached Files:

27. jerseyboy

jerseyboy

That is one sweet lookin' rpu!:D:cool: I always liked the transition, of the hood to the body, through the cowl on early As!

28. trestles126

trestles126

few updates, i got 29 plates and got them registered to the car at the DMV, i also worked on the top and extended the back bow to give more headroom.also got the waterpump rebuilt to the ungreasable leakless, and installed a 160 thermostat

I am in the works actually of trading the rpu backhalf for a 29 roadster back half if the deal goes through im goin to be doin some revamping, and swappin the body over to a roadster...Ive always wanted the roadster and wanna do something major to make the car more mine seein as i bought it as a running project.

Attached Files:

29. -Brent-

-Brent-

Man... converting this to a full roadster, I don't know if I could do it. I really like this RPU.

30. trestles126

trestles126

Ya it's a tuff call with me. I love it but at the same time I LOVE roadsters. And I feel like taking on a project