Register now to get rid of these ads!

new welder/ flux core tip vs gas nozzle?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Big Bad Dad, Jun 21, 2010.

1. Big Bad Dad

Big Bad Dad

Hi guys,
    I just bought a new HH187 Hobart and am planning to just go with the flux core wire for now until I get into body work. It comes with a gas nozzle and tip only, but lists a different tip for use with the flux core. Is it worth ordering that tip or should I just use the factory supplied gas nozzle?
    Thanks

2. Domino

Domino

I have that same welder. It is a good machine, but I am a horrible welder. I have mine setup for flux core and i use the MIG nozzle and it works fine. I have the bottle for mine, but I am going to burn through this flux core wire for practice before I buy some MIG wire. Make sure your polarity is right for whichever wire you use.

3. harley man

harley man

Get rid of the flux core.Get a bottle of gas and mig wire.Learn to use what you are going to weld with.Go to your local nite school and take a weld class.Money well spent.Their are some good welding books out there get one.

4. english rob

english rob

flux core gives a splattery weld get some gas it's much better

5. Big Bad Dad

Big Bad Dad

I have a gas bottle and know how to mig. My plan is to use the flux core for some outdoor (windy) projects. I am just asking about using the flux core tip vs the mig nozzle for this.

6. harley man

harley man

The mig nozzle will be ok for a short time.

7. cheemo

cheemo

From my experience the only problem with the mig nozzle is that the splatter builds up in there. You will just want to take it off and clean it out every once in a while. Get a good round file. The Flux tip is a closed nozzle as opposed to the open gas type nozzle. Splatter can't build up that way.

8. Scott Hightower

Scott Hightower
    from Georgia

I prefer gas MIG vs the Flux Core wire. I seem to get a much cleaner weld with less spatter.

Use 75/25 or 80/20 mix for your shielding gas.

Scott
    Fab Manager
    Welders360

9. budd

budd

the tip holder will be fine, as for splatter you can reduce it by changeing your gun angle, messing with the wire speed, heat settings, get good with the flux core and you will be that much better when you do get gas.

so are you asking about the tip holder, the tip, or the nozzel?

Last edited: Jun 22, 2010
  10. gsport

gsport

just take the tip off all together....

11. 55chieftain

55chieftain

Get some anti-spatter gel to dip the nozzle end into, that helps keep the end clean. IMO I would just use the nozzle you have for both wire.

12. indyjps

indyjps

Go pick up a few of each nozzle, really, its a consumable and you should have a set of spares around, can of nozzle dip will help too.
    Grab a proper set of nozzle pliers while youre at it.

13. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

We've got three different things described here.

The tip is the last thing that the wire passes through, besides the gas or air, before it heads off into the weld puddle. The nozzle is the "duct work" that directs the shielding gas around the wire, and toward the weld puddle. The tip holder is what the tip screws into. It typically has the holes for the gas to flow through, and houses the threads to hold the nozzle on.

I believe that the tips vary only by the wire size. Flux-core (gas-less) is, for this application 0.035". For gas operation, you will likely use 0.023" or 0.030" wire, hence the different tip size.

When "factory" set up for flux-core, these have a little rubber nubbin that covers the nozzle threads. It keeps spatter from getting on the threads, and in the gas holes, when the nozzle is not on there. When using gas, you'd use the gas nozzle there.

I don't know of a tip holder that differs from gas to gas-less.

Short of moving to gas, I would leave the nozzle on, if you don't have the nubbin.