Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs What should i do to my hood???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tankwilson, Jun 15, 2010.

1. papajohn

papajohn

Cut the nose of the hood loose at the top and pull it forward a couple inches, leaving the bottom edge where it is at the grille. Then fill that wedge opening. It will give the car a "jumping forward" look, kind of like cars you would see in the old Warner Brothers cartoons. You could further accentuate the look by using some headlight rings that have a formed in visor (sort of) on the top. I think they were on early 40's Olds or Buicks or get some eyebrow patch panels from a 55 Chevy and extend the front tops of the fenders with them. It will make the car look like it's going fast when it is just sitting there.

Nice car by the way!

2. skidsteer

skidsteer

Yes, try a scoop or vent on each side:

[​IMG]

3. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey,

Just for the record, '' Pancaking " & " Sectioning " be it a pie section that's removed from a panel, or a whole rectangle section, are not the same thing. To "pancake" a hood panel is to weld the fenders to the hood panel, cut a hole in the center of the hood and that becomes the new hood panel opening. Think '61 Lincoln Continental or '63 Chrysler Imperial, here for a factory type " pancaked " hood panel. To "section a hood or other panel is to remove a section of the panel to reduce its' heigth or width. This could include a rectangle or wedge/pie section.

To remove the ''fullness'' of your Mopars hood panel, you could make releif cuts and pie sections, cut the whole front section loose from the balance of the hood panel and reshape it off of the hood panel and weld it back in or cut that same section loose, move it foward and down and add additional metal where the gap was created when the panel was moved foward. All of these methods will require some avrage metalworking skill, and some above avrage welding skills, as well.
    Nice lookin' chopped post war Mopar Ya got, there!

" Spending a nation into generational debt is not an act of compassion "

4. customcory

customcory

I don't know how many hoods were ruined by pie cutting them since the 80's -90s. Your hood looks done to me.:D

5. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

6. 52HardTop

52HardTop

I think it needs to be peaked. It will continue the line from the center trim between the windshields right through to the grill trim. When a car has the split windshield I think it looks foolish to have a smooth hood. Just my thoughts.[​IMG]

7. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

What should you do to your hood? Open it so they can see the big hemi you're going to put in there.

8. tankwilson

tankwilson

Yea i wish on the HEMI part. Ok guys got alot of ideas. What options would be tradtional. I kinda like the idea of taking a pie section out and peaking it. I have been trying to keep my mods to be period correct. I hate seeing cars that are confused.

9. BISHOP

BISHOP

Thats a car with potential.......... I would work on making it look good with bodywork and paint. Put the rock guards back on it.

Good choice on the wheels and tires, they look really good.

10. Yea I agree with the peaked mod, maybe louvers and please put those gravel guards back on!!!!

11. tankwilson

tankwilson

hey i'm really into the peaked hood idea. Can anyone show me some kool kustoms with the treatment???

Thanks

12. VenomousType

VenomousType
    from Atlanta GA

i think it looks fine how it is..

13. 45_70Sharps

45_70Sharps

I'm with the majority here and think it looks good but if I were to do anything it would be louvers.

Then again as much as I love some of the work I see, I don't have enough of the artistic side to imagine some of the stuff that you guys do.

14. Road Oiler

Road Oiler

15. tankwilson

tankwilson

16. Go "traditional" put skirts on it !!!!!!!

17. Satinblack

Satinblack

I dont chime in on to many "What should I do's?" posts but I have to say this.

I have NEVER liked cars from 49 on when they went to the 3 box design, there was no shape and everything was a box, my personal opinion. That said, I have to say that is the best looking car I have seen built on that era! My hat is off to you, and me saying that means alot because most that know me know I dont give out to much praise.

And as far as your question about your hood, well since you did such a great job with what you done so far, shit whatever you chose to do should be great and if you like it, all the better.

Great job!!!

Last edited: Jul 11, 2010
  18. after all you've done. your afaidd to whack a hood? I'd take zero at the fire wall to 2.5 at the nose.
    when I did my GMC I tacked the hood to the fenders. then cut 5 1/2 inches all the way around. staying in a crowned area came in with a few darts and have almost no distortion. first one I'd ever done.
    I have and extra 49-50 hood if your ever in Oregon.
    Alternative would be a entire 51-52 front clip it's a complete bolt on

Attached Files:

19. farmer12

farmer12

Looks great the way it is now. Up to you.

20. tankwilson

tankwilson

I can't take the credit for the chop top. "Choprods" on here is who chopped it and make a once ugly car into a cool car.

Thanks