Register now to get rid of these ads!

model A body channelling

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by draggin breath, Jun 16, 2010.

1. draggin breath

draggin breath

i've collected model A body parts for years and want to start assembling a channeled body. i'd like to drop it 4 inches. can I assemble it using a tudor floor subframe to go over a stock frame? Will it work to mount the cowl pieces and thenhang the quarters and doors the same amount down? This build will be early '50's style and is this how they would do it if the subrails were solid,just drop the body straight down? A T rear spring will lower the back a bit and reversed eyes on the front and NO FENDERS. Any ideas to make it more period authentic?

2. super plus

super plus
    BANNED

Put the frame down threw the roof opening and set it on top of the body cross braces , then bolt it to the bottom of the frame , about 4 or 5 in channel

3. draggin breath

draggin breath

Come on,did they actually do that anywhere but Canada. I can see separating the floor from the body but totally disassembling the driveline???????

4. YBlockCruizer

YBlockCruizer

Use 2x4 square tubing laid on either side of cab interior on top of existing cross bracing and weld. Cut the original cross braces out and move them up to the top of tubing. If interested, I can scan some pictures...Good Luck...Steve

5. draggin breath

draggin breath

Yblock cruizer,post the pics. I was thinking more traditional,but the engine will be a 292 y-block with the Latham I can't give away. '55 merc 3'92 rear with an OD.

6. super plus

super plus
    BANNED

How are you going to build anything if you don't take it apart. ,I told you a easy way,after you get the body bolted then build mounts & floor from there, but never mind !:rolleyes:

7. I don't know why you wouldn't just seperate the body from the subrails, since they sit more or less on the frame anyways, lower it how far you want, and fab up new supports to attach it back to the subrails. Measure it about 1000 times to make sure it stays straight and level - or stays at a rake if you want to build one into it.

8. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

I'd like to see pic's of each proposed way of doing this channelling business.

9. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

My Deuce was once a channelled car...done exactly as you described.
    Well, they most likely went thru the firewall area instead of down thru the roof opening to install the frame inside the body, but still...

10. super plus

super plus
    BANNED

This way the body doesn't flop all over the place ;)

11. YBlockCruizer

YBlockCruizer

Here are afew pic's....Hope you can see what was done using the 2x4 sq. tubing. The tubing is laid on each side of cab and resting on the original floor cross members. They were welded to the cab side bracing...Then the original cross members were cut out...You can use them or make new ones. The cross members are welded flush with the top of the 2x4's. The body then can fit over the original Model A frame but sits about 4 1/4" lower on the frame....
    Your Y-Block will be a kool engine in the Model A.

Attached Files: