Register now to get rid of these ads!

Basic "must have" tools....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DanIam, Jun 14, 2010.

1. DanIam

DanIam

Now that the weather has improved, my son and I are going to start working on the truck some more. My collection of tools is very limited. At this point, all I really have are the basics. I have a nice set of wrenches as well as a nice socket wrench set. I was wondering if there are some must have tools that I am going to need, that you would recommend. When I took the bed off, I ended up using a dremel tool as a cutter to cut through one of the bolts, so I can see myself buying a few air tools. The question then becomes, what size compressor do I get?

Whatever suggestions you guys could give me would be appreciated. I not afraid to tackle anything at this point, I just want to make sure I have the right tools. I have a budget, so don't go crazy on me. I am just looking for some very basic tools I need to get by at this point. Also, do you have any suggestions for keeping your sockets orderly, and easy to find? I'm a bit ADD, so I want find the easiest solution, or I know I will end up losing stuff!

2. 32 bowtie

32 bowtie

Most important...... The BFH (big fu...in hammer) torches are good, and a compressor big enough to run your tools. I have a craftsman with the 30 gallon tank. A bigger tank would be good but it does the job. Good luck. I suggest spending a little more for tools you use the most rather than breaking cheap stuff.

3. Racewriter

Racewriter

You already mentioned end wrenches and a socket wrench set. Those are a good start. For brands, I prefer Craftsman and Kobalt (they're readily available in stores and reasonably priced). You will also need:

Pliers - slip joint, tongue and groove, wire cutters, and needlenose. Also some Vise-Grip locking pliers in 2 or 3 sizes. If you look, you can still find the American made Vise Grips at the swap meets.

Screwdrivers - at least 4 different sizes each of straight and Phillips.

A good Allen wrench set.

A good 3/8 drill and drill bit set.

Hammers. Lotsa hammers. Get ball peen. These you can go Harbor Freight type if you want. There's just not much to a hammer.

Get Mechanix gloves for yourself and your son. They work well, grip well, and cut hands don't work nearly as well on cars.

4. They make a flat stamped metal bar with 'pegs' for the sockets. You can get them cheap anywhere, makes keeping your sockets easy.

5. To keep costs down , look on local trading sites like craigslist; used tools can be a deal and are man times in just as good condition as new(someone buys them and never uses them)

6. derpr

derpr

those rails you put sockets on. must have so you can keep every thing organized, with a glance you can look to see if any sockets are missing. 6 in. grinder. if it won't come off cut it.

7. mrjynx

mrjynx
    BANNED

If theyre just repairing one truck, theyre not going to need a compressor.

cutting/sanding and painting.

for cutting cheap £12 angle grinder with cutting disk. (face mask, dust mask)

you coul perhaps put a flap disk on that for sanding too.

wire brush.

painting-rattle cans, sand paper and rubbing compound can do a fine job.

--------------

dont forget alan keys, I dont know if you`ll need em for your specific project but still kinda essential tool to have.

dont underestimate the cost of chemicals. paint stripper, de greasant, they add up.

8. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

vice grips. you can never have too many vice grips. all sizes.

9. Paul

Paul
    Editor

ear plugs, safety glasses and bandaids

10. 53floored

53floored
    from kansas

Id say a decent bench vise and maybe a belt sander that you can mount to a bench also

11. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A guy can get along just fine without air tools but they do make a lot of jobs faster and less tedious. A small compressor most likely limits what you can do with them though.
    Most of us who work or worked (in my case) as a professional mechanic buy tools as we find that we need them. I had a self imposed policy that if I had to borrow a tool from another mechanic twice in a short period of time I needed to own one of my own.

Along with the normal end wrenches, socket sets, screw drivers, hammers and what not I'd suggest:
    A quality set of punches and chisels.
    A decent caliper (digital is a plus) you are always needing accurate measurements on something when building a car.
    Several pairs of vise grip welding clamps along with a bunch of those spring clamps like they have for cheaps at Home Depot. Both are a great set of extra hands.
    A good sawzall if you don't already have one.
    3/8 drive cordless drill with enough power to do the job.
    4-1/2 inch angle grinder. I have 5 at the moment I think. Two from Harbor Freight (one with a flap wheel and one with cut disks). The cup brush is on one of the other ones I have.

I went for 35 years without a drill press of my own and finally bought one and use it all the time now.
    I bought a used Craftsman 6x48 inch belt sander with 9 inch disk off craigslist one Sunday morning and that gets used more all the time (lots more preferable than a bench grinder). Early on weekend mornings is a good time to check Craigslist for larger power tools as that seems to be the time that a lot of them get posted for real friendly prices. Don't forget to check yard sales too.

It isn't about having the biggest or fanciest collection of tools, it's about being able to do your projects with the least hassle and turn out something that looks and works great.

That said, any decent automotive tool that you can or might be able to use that you find at a yard sale for a really decent price is fair game to get for the tool collection. I hit a yard sale about 20 years ago where the lady had her ex's small tools laid out on a tarp and marked at .50 for the small wrenches and 1.00 or so each for the larger ones. Another guy hit there at the same time as I did and he squats down on the other side of the tarp and says "Ok,you pick one and I'll pick one". Between the two of us we packed off almost the whole batch dirt cheap.

Socket holders: Sears, HF and most others have a variety of socket holders at a variety of prices. Every one's favorite is different so see what you like.

12. FormerFueler

FormerFueler

GearWrench set,Circuit tester,Pry bars

13. rjgideon

rjgideon

Nothing beats a good 4 1/2" angle grinder. I started with a Northern Tool one, burned it out got a HF one that sucked, then spent almost a hundred on a nice Makita. It's one of my most used tools, so I spent the money to get a good one.

14. Johnnyzoom

Johnnyzoom
    from Florida

4 1/2 " angle grinder + safety glasses.

Breaker bar.

Torque wrench.

These are the first three tools I'd say I can't live without.

15. mike1951

mike1951
    from Colorado

safety glasses or goggles are a must...
    cans of carb and brake cleaner....
    I bought a craftsman mechanics set for like 200 bucks...
    feeler gauges
    oh and my craftsman bottle opener

16. DanIam

DanIam

Thanks for the responses! Aside from the wrenches and socket set, I do have plenty of the standard stuff like hammers, pliers, screwdrivers, etc. I like the suggestion of buying as I need it. I get a little impatient at times, so waiting to purchase a tool for a specific job isn't as fun, but it does make the most economical sense.

Again, thanks for the well thought out suggestions. I'm going to hit sears and Lowes tonight for a few little goodies.

17. 59mercsled

59mercsled

saws-all. my favorite tool.

18. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Unless you're going to be sandblasting, you don't really a big compressor. A small one is handy for airing up tires and blowing out carbs and such, but it's actually a good idea to have your sandblasting done by someone who does that...too much mess and hassle for an individual. A small compressor can also do most of your basic priming and painting you might do...don't forget an in-line air-dryer to remove moisture...moisture will ruin a prime/paint job. Instead of air-powered tools, use electric. Electric cutter/grinder, sawzall, sanders, drill, etc. Basic hand-tools are a must. Bench-vise is invaluable. Large and small wire brushes and a bench-mounted wire-wheel/grinder. Keep some kitty-litter around for oil-spills. A big squirt-bottle of Fast Orange hand-cleaner, towels. Trouble-light...preferably fluorescent as opposed to incandescent...fluorescent won't break bulbs every time you drop it, or start a fire when exposed to gasoline. Speaking of fire...fire-extinguisher...just in case. Creepers are good, but having some large pieces of cardboard around is almost as good...sometimes better. Decent floor-jack and cast jack-stands...no cheap stamped ones. Instead of spending $ on a full-blown oxy-acetylene torch-set, get yourself a propane torch for heating those stubborn nuts and bolts. And for really heating something up good...there are small hand-held oxy-acetylene units available. Maybe a big steel can for metal scrap, and a big trash-can for the rest of the trash. If you plan on pulling engines and working on them, you're gonna need an engine-hoist and stand. Oil drain-pan, a couple of funnels, and empty water/milk gallon jugs for old oil storage. Stock up on consumables...WD40, carb-cleaner, electrical-tape, etc. One-sided razor-blades often come in handy...buy a box of 'em...clamp one in the set of vise-grips that 49ratfink told you to get for a handy gasket-scraper. This is fun, spending your money. LOL. Good luck to you and your son.

19. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

If you are in the tear down stage, get a set of 1/2" 6 pt impact sockets. The imported cheap variety has worked for me for my hobby. Not for a line mechanic but they will break the bolts and nuts loose on rusted parts where 12 pt sockets will often round over a rusted fastener leaving a lot more work. The tool vendors at the shows and Harbor Freight sell them cheap. A good 1/2" air impact wrench can be a life saver too.

20. milkplus

milkplus
    from Ohio

When I started, I used my Dremel all the time for cutting bolts. Great little tool. A bench vice is a great idea too, I use mine as a press, paint stand, metal brake, and on an on.

That said, and I don't know your budget, but the compressor is deluxe. Buy a good one, none of this oil-less stuff, get a real 80 gal compressor with a seperate pump and motor so you can rebuild each peice as you need to. 5hp and 80 gallons. They're on craigslist all day and they're a ton better then the box stores. Stay away from Ingersol (anything smaller than the T-10) or anything with a chinese pump. Most of the tanks are US (since they're too big to import) but chinese motors are okay. You 100% get what you pay for new. If it's cheap, it's cheap. I hate to say it but U.S. General is still better then the Lowes and Home depot compressors for the money though and I HATE Harbor Freight.

Once you have a 5hp (running 5hp, not peak) it all falls into place. DA, Cutoff, impact, ratchet, paint gun (and air dryer as was mentioned) and my favorite, a 90 degree die grinder to run rolocs for cleaning or grinding welds.

The key is the compressor though, buy more then you think you need then in 6 months it'll only be "a bit too small."

just my .02

21. Dan,

What type of truck do you have? You may need a metric hammer. All kidding aside, sometimes there are unique tools that are a must have (such as a good hub and drum puller for an early Ford).

Charlie Stephens

22. DanIam

DanIam

It's a Toyota, why? Just kidding. I have a 58 Ford. I am in the tear-down stage at this point. Engine is coming out this coming weekend, so an engine stand is on the list.

23. yogel

yogel

Read the whole thread and something not mentioned was a small (4 OR5 IN.LONG )pipe wrench,I found a lot of times when a vice grip either wouldn`t fit or slipped around the little pipe wrench was just right 4 the job.Oh and a 12 in. or so peice of pipe that just fits over the handle for a cheater bar to get leverage.

24. rjgideon

rjgideon

The Summit brand engine stand for $200 is a pretty decent one for the money. It gives you the geared head turning feature that is pretty nice. It also folds down for compact storage.

25. carbking

carbking

I suppose I could exist without my machine lathe and milling machine; but I certainly don't wish to as long as I am able to work on vehicles.

Jon.

26. RodStRace

RodStRace

at this point, the tools mentioned are good.
    When reassembling, a good torque wrench, wire brushes, a good DVOM and a manual!

27. Hydraulic press, torch set with good set of tips, Sawsall, and the aforementioned hand tools.

I stress the hydraulic press, it's one of my most important tools.

28. Area56

Area56
    from Oklahoma

Other than safety glasses, I say buy them when you need them.

Big hammers, and tools to clean, cut, and weld will be needed because you can't do that with the basic wrench set.

Air tools are a luxury and if you have more time than money, that's money that can go back in the car. Unless your sandblasting, you really shouldn't 'need' any air tools until it's time to paint.

29. chaos10meter

chaos10meter
    from PA.

Radio
    Beer frig.
    Bandages

30. BAILEIGH INC

BAILEIGH INC
    Alliance Vendor

:cool: very nice!