Register now to get rid of these ads!

Inline Alternator

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by wolfers, Jun 12, 2010.

1. wolfers

wolfers

OK all you guys running an in-line chevy six that coverted from a generator to an alternator, let's see your mounting bracket. Looking for ideas.

Thanks

2. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

No photos but on a later 235 that I swapped into a 53 Chev pickup for a friend I just used a long bolt and made a spacer to fill the gap while using the stock generator bracket on the engine. I'm not sure what we used for the adjustment bracket but it may have been the stock bracket.

I guess I should explain that I set the alternator in place in the bracket on the block and got the belt alignment right and then cut the spacer out of a piece of pipe (Ford steering column I think) with the correct id. The bolt has to be long enough to go through both ends of the generator bracket and get a nut an washer on it.

The truck is about three miles from my place so I'll see if I can make it out there and get some pictures this afternoon after the swapmeet.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2010
  3. Eddiesixem

Eddiesixem

if i remember right thats exactly what i did, but i had to flip the generator bracket around. has worked out great for 6 years now.

4. I used an alternator with it's original bracket from an Australian 6 cyl falcon, the set up should be the same as your 6 banger Mustang. I had to drill 1 extra hole in it to line up with the hole in the block.

5. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

I made a couple brackets to hang a 1-wire on my 232AMC. mounted way down low and outta the way.

6. wolfers

wolfers