Register now to get rid of these ads!

Having a bad day ..please help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JAKE'S-Pumpkinella54, Jun 3, 2010.

1. i replaced tranny mount and motor mount ... and as i was comming of the ramps heard

2. I replace both motor mounts and tranny mount and as i was coming off the ramps in my driveway i heard a knock ... rolled off ramps ... and car wont move ... wtf . u joint .... i have a torq tube ! u joints ?? how many ?

3. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

broken shock or spring? worn out spring isolators? empty beer bottles in trunk?

4. Steve from PA

Steve from PA

Sounds like the joint in the torque tube is broken. Need to pull it. I guess if you put the rear on jackstands and spin the rear wheels by hand while it is in gear you should be able to tell if it broken.

5. Im gonna have to dig in 2mrow and hope its just the u joint .. should i buy the whole assbly ot just a joint?

6. Butcher Boy

Butcher Boy

It's called a u-joint trunnion on a torque tube. Go to the Filling Station Chevy Parts. They have a new one for you if needed.

7. Francisco Plumbero

Francisco Plumbero
    from il.

Oprah........sssssexy lady, did you get this pic of her as she stepped of the curb in front of your car, she looks extra au naturelle.

8. i jacked up the rear end while in gear ( car off ) and spun one wheel, the other one spun the opposite direction.. does the eliminate the u joint ... anyone ?

ok and heres more info. when the car linkage is in Nuetral and i try to push it it rolls about a foot before the whole car locks up ! what does that mean ..

9. or could it be the selector fork in tranny ,... im so done with not driving my car ... Oh ... also when the whole car locks up ands wont roll I cant get it in to gear .......
    is there a tranny guy on the hamb .. please send me his name

10. Road Oiler

Road Oiler

No, it just means you don't have a posi.

11. chevyshack

chevyshack

Id try and throw out a few ideas but i hate freakin Oprah!! She is freakin ignorant.

12. Dynaflash_8

Dynaflash_8
    from Auburn WA

id check the linkage. Make sure that its not in 2 gears. If both tires spin, then your spiders are good.

Most likely a busted u joint

13. but would a u joint cause it to get stuck in gear?????

14. 32ratsass

32ratsass

Could have a u-joint problem, but is sounding more like tranny trouble with the "can't get it in gear" problem.:confused: Looks like maybe a combination
    of problems that need to be addressed! (Tranny, Shift linkage, U-joint, Motor mounts, Tranny mounts, Tie rods) Whatever it is,it sounds like you're making headway. Good Luck!

15. 32ratsass

32ratsass

No!

16. THE_DUDE

THE_DUDE

The rods have a factory bend in um,,,,, Ya got a bad u-joint.

17. THE_DUDE

THE_DUDE

Torque tubes with bad joints get wacky. It is hard to belive the troubles and shimmys they will make

18. 63feuni

63feuni

Inspect u-joint and related parts. Repair as needed. Readjust shift linkage after mount changes you should be okay. If that doesn't work, get a ford. I have a ford with an LQ9 but thats another story.

19. Unless you motor is a shaker the only time its gonna shake around with a broke mount is when its under load.

So you replaced the bent tie rods. Did you have the front end aligned or adjust the toe after words? just curious.

20. did tie rods ... drove it and still had a shake ... did motor mounts and as i took it off ramps no longer moved ... i think it the u joint .. Talked to my tranny guy ... he said jack it up spin wheels by hand while in gear .. does one got oppossite direction .... i said yes over phone ... he says not it not the u joint ........ not sure how he could tell be that one question .. wtf

21. im gonna have it towed on a flat bed .,... if its stuck in 2 gears is pulling it on the flat bed gonn f me worse ??

22. 32ratsass

32ratsass

He can't tell anything ,except the drive line is not turning, axle's not broke, and it's not a posi.

23. sounds like a mount to me and PLEASE, get rid of Oprah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

24. Andy

Andy

Make sure the shift linkage is not slipped so it is in two gears at once. It used to happen to me. Put the shift lever in neutral and look at the two levers with the rods going to the trans. They should be side by side. If not, pull up the low one(Or whatever to get them the same). You should be able to roll it then.

25. 39 All Ford

39 All Ford
    from Benton AR

Mechanic says if you jack up the back of the car and spin one wheel and the other wheel spins opposite, this proves it is not the u-joint?

WRONG!

If the car rolls back and forth a whole foot before "binding up", don't expect the u-joint to be your primary issue unless you rear end is way, way, way, worn out.

The big issue is going to be your tranny, the problem first raised it's ugly head before you adjusted the fork and has gotten worse.

Now, a bad u-joint could have caused the tranny issue.

26. Ice man

Ice man

If you are running stock engine and trany, drop the flywheel cover and chech the trany bolts, they are in there and can't be seen. If they get loose the whole drive line is out of kilter. Iceman