Register now to get rid of these ads!

general a/d truck ?'s

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ykp53, Jun 10, 2010.

1. ykp53

ykp53
    from macon ga

well after having a infant i have now started to realize that the 2 seater Chevy SSR truck will not continue to work. i also have a 53 plymouth 4 door we use as a church/grocery getter, but i enjoy driving around with the dogs in the back of my current truck and i dont want to have to worry about damaging the plymouth w/ building supplies as we work around the house, so... i have started looking at my options. i dont want a SUV, MiniVan or new truck.

I have found two 52 chevy trucks. one is bone stock the other has a 4.3 chevy w/ 700r4 (is that a 305?) which would be a better fit to replace a daily driver, (i do several highway trips a month 500+ miles).

Both claim to be "fairly rust free" where should i look for rust on these trucks?

the prices range from 2500 (stock)-6000(4.3/700r4) are those fair prices?

How hard is it to replace the engine transmission in these trucks? is there anything limiting me frm using them as a daily driver?

BIggest question... how wide are the stock bench seats? can they fit 3 people? or 2 people and a car seat?

2. the-rodster

the-rodster

4.3 is a V6, that truck may be on an S10 frame.

Most every AD truck is gunna have rust..

Cab corners, innner and outer lower cowl, and floors.

Do a search, lots of AD truck builds on here.

Rich

3. Sinister

Sinister
    from Oregon

the-rodster is correct, LOTS of info on AD trucks here.

Since you are going to be hauling around a little one & beloved pets, I would consider safety as #1 priority. With all "stock" running gear, these trucks were not designed for 65-70 mph highway speeds, and in a panic situation, drum brakes won't be on your side. Keep these things in mind if you plan on driving it like a newer vehicle with airbags & ABS. Spending a little extra cash to get something that someone has already upgraded these types of things will put you ahead of the game.

Oh, to answer your question on the bench seats. These are bigger than a s-10, but a bit smaller than a full-size truck inside, and no seat belts.

4. ykp53

ykp53
    from macon ga

i have talked again to both sellers, it seems the stock ( $2,500) one runs well, needs brake work, but the rust to the corners was repair 10-15 yrs ago and has no new rust. but the frame is saging in the middle behind the cab. (what could cause this?) my gut says run far away and fast.

the ($6,500) one is sitting on a s10 frame with disk brakes and power steering, the stock 4.3 v-6 is smoking but they are throughing in a new crate 350 and a new 600cfm carb. the transmission is in good shape and does not slip, but the cab corners and lower edges of the bed are starting to rust out. i felt the higher price could be justified by the s-10 work done but is that a fair thought if you know there is rust?

5. OldSub

OldSub
    Member Emeritus

I've seen the bench seat from an '88 to '98 full size installed in one of these trucks and though it touches the doors on both sides it would allow three to sit down. I don't know about with a car seat though....

Its hard to evaluate the rust or the value without seeing it. Posting some pictures would help some, but still eyes on is the best way to assess these things.

6. medicinal_marinara

medicinal_marinara
    from Oregon

I would run away from both of those, but if you really want to get one of them, get the $2500 one. There are lots of good original frames around and they aren't hard to swap out. Check to see if it really is the frame sagging, or if the bed and cab mounts are shot. The frames on these trucks are pretty stout.

A disc brake kit is a pretty easy safety upgrade for the stock front axle. The way these trucks were originally geared, you aren't going to be comfortable cruising at much above 50 mph unless you change out the rearend or put some sort of overdrive in.

I look at frame swaps as a negative on AD truck's value... there are just so many hack jobs out there you are money and frustration ahead on starting with an unmolested original, even if it is rusty.

7. ykp53

ykp53
    from macon ga

8. dabirdguy

dabirdguy
    Member Emeritus

9. OldSub

OldSub
    Member Emeritus

The pictured truck is a '52 or '53 GMC not a Chevy. Personally I prefer the GMC but most people prefer a Chevy so you should be aware of that.

If that's the $2500 truck I'd probably grab it. If its the $6500 truck it would take a lot more inspection before I'd make an offer.

When carrying kids was something I had to worry about I bought a '55 1st GMC Suburban and had seating for five. It worked well for me. I still have the truck but have removed three of the seats since becoming an empty nest'r.

10. Sinister

Sinister
    from Oregon

I agree with you Sub. I bought a GMC nose for Chevrolet because I liked the look.