Register now to get rid of these ads!

Need a new MIG welder

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by LEMMING249, Jun 7, 2010.

1. LEMMING249

LEMMING249

I Need a new mig welder in 120 volts for my garage, are the Lincolns ok?....Need yer opinion gang

2. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I don't think you can go wrong with Lincoln, Miller or Hobart. They're all fine machines, IMO.

Do a "Search" for welders - there should be a ton of posts about them.

3. Retrorod

Retrorod

I did fine for quite a few years with a 110 volt 135a Lincoln. When I got my 255 Lincoln I gave the 110 volt unit to my son...he still uses it on every project. This is a bottle fed mix gas MIG, not a flux cored (gas-less) unit. I have faith in Lincoln, they never let me down.

4. retiredfireguy

retiredfireguy

I've been told that the Miller is a better quality machine than the Lincoln. I believe they have metal drive gears on the wire feed, as opposed to plastic gears on the Lincolns. That said, they are both good. The Hobarts are probably even better, but pricier. I have a Miller 210 and love it.

5. Miller is having a sale now, check em out.

6. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Miller 140, an amazing little machine for a 120 volt mig. Blue is best :)

7. Jagman

Jagman

I have a Lincoln and have used it with no issues for about 10 years now. I think you'll be fine with either a Miller or Lincoln. You might look at the controls and see if you like one or the other better, but either will lay down a good bead when used properly.

8. Another vote for Miller. I've been using a 135 for ten years. I've built several cars with it and a couple bikes. It has never failed to get good penetration on material up to 3/16. The only thing I ever had to replace on it is the lead and the gun when I dropped a chopper off of the stand onto it.

9. brucer

brucer
    from western ky

lincoln is having a sale also.

i have a lincoln 180c its a nice mig welder,the wire feed is a metal drive assembly.
    check out indiana oxygen they have free shipping and darn good prices on thier machines and consumables, pretty much the best prices on consumables i've found anywhere.
    i bought my mig and tig from them, very satisfied with their service..

this is a link to their lincoln machines.
    http://www.weldingsuppliesfromioc.com/servlet/the-MIG-WELDERS-cln-Lincoln/Categories

10. boucher racing

boucher racing
    from nashville

I was in your situation a few months back. After alot of research I found a good deal (20% off) at Northern Tool and picked up a Hobart 140. It has been an amazing little welder that handles anything you throw at it. Pitch the core flux wire and get some gas. Good luck.

11. Kenneth S

Kenneth S

Miller aquired Hobart a few years ago, Hobart is now their "cheaper" line of welding equipment, but Hobarts are still great machines. If you have an electric clothes dryer in your garage you have 220V outlet. A 110V machine is ok, but a 220V machine is better.

12. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

Am I the only one "concerned" with all the "what welder should I buy?" threads (etc) lately???
    I mean, if ya know how to weld, you should know what to look for in a welder....right???:D

13. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well, you have to remember that guys get into this hobby at all ages and all skill levels. I probably hadn't welded with a mig more than 15 minutes total before I bought mine. I did have the advantage of having dealt with buying spare parts and having several stick, mig and tig welders repaired on a regular basis in a former job I had for six years. All we had in the plant were Millers.

The Miller, Lincoln or Hobart units may cost a bit more than an off shore unit but the pay back is in when you can easily find parts and the repair guy won't have a laughing fit and throw you out the door along with your made over there cheapie unit.

14. Flatheadguy

Flatheadguy

Before these posts that do not answer the question get out of hand....everyone just calm down. If you read a thread that doesn't make you all warm and fuzzy, move on.
    Don't waste your time reading and then replying.

15. LEMMING249

LEMMING249

Thanks Everybody for the input and recomendations!

16. krackerjack88

krackerjack88
    from Fresno,Ca

Miller 211 enough said

17. Spaceboy

Spaceboy
    from TN

Same here, love my 140. By the way it has a Miller gun on it.