Register now to get rid of these ads!

8 Volt Battery - sources????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Weasel, Jun 10, 2009.

1. Weasel

Weasel

I am trying to get my almost stock '33 ready for the LA Roadster Show and do not have time to do the 12V conversion I have planned. My 6V Optima is not holding it's charge for long. Can anyone school me on the 8 volt battery upgrade used by savvy old timers. Do I have to change the voltage regulator - anything else? Where can I find an 8 volt battery, preferably in So Cal, and what are they most commonly used for? I did use the search tool but came up with nothing specific.

Thanks guys.

2. yblock292

yblock292

most farm supply store have them

3. Weasel

Weasel

Yeah thanks, but we don't have any farms left in So Cal - they managed to cover it all in concrete!!

4. Slick Steve

Slick Steve
    from Indy

I just got one from my local parts store. I know Napa has them.

5. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Savvy old timers don't use 8V batteries, they use good 6V batteries and check their grounds regularly.
    8V is for farm equipment etc, not automobiles.

6. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

To answer the question, any tractor supply house or dealer will have 8V batteries on the shelf. SAme likely with auto parts stores in small farm communities.

7. Golf cart batteries are 8v. Call a Golf cart dealer or repair shop. We have a Rauch-Lang Electric that uses a series of golf cart batteries three parallel banks in series.

[​IMG]
    1916 Rauch & Lang Coach

8. Truckedup

Truckedup

The answer is replace or repair the 6 volt charging system.I know many guys driving old 6 volt GM trucks that have no charging or starting issues.

9. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

you must rev the shit out of it to charge it with a 6v generator

10. Flop

Flop

i use a 6 volt system in my 47 chev daily driver with no problems...make sure you have the thiiiiick ass battery cabels good grounds and a new voltage regulator and ya should be good to go... no need to rev the shit out of it. no generator charges at idle .

11. greaser57

greaser57
    from minnesota

My 6v batterys last about 7 years, don't need no stink'n 8v.....................Rich

12. Ball and Chain

Ball and Chain
    from Nor Cal

interstate store has them, if you have one in so cal.

13. petritl

petritl
    from Marion, TX

The Optima 6v battery in my 31 Ford is 9 years old and works well enough I can't bring myself to replace it yet.

It works much better than the tractor 8v battery that is in my dad's 29 ford and it doesn't burn though the bulbs like his does either.

14. panic

panic

6 volt generator output is only about 7.5 volts (unregulated), so an 8 volt will always be going down-hill.
    There's no magic in how voltage is produced: with the normal chemistry each cell makes 2.1 volts. 3 cells = 6.3 volts, 4 cells = 8.4 volts, 6 cells = 12.6 volts.
    You need about nominal voltage + 10-15% to charge effectively (12 volt charges at 13.2 to 13.8, etc.)
    Your bulbs will pop the first time you go really fast or miss a shift.

15. Raven53

Raven53
    from Irwin Pa

Bingo I buy them there for all my old tractors and for my 48

16. krooser

krooser

You just need to adjust the cut-out on the voltage regulator to let the generator make more than 6 volts.

Call a gen/starter rebuilder... they can walk you thru it or do it for you... pretty simple.

17. i would try napa (in santa ana) or interstate used to have a hub in costa mesa. also yes to charge the battery you need to bump up the regulator a little.

18. Paul2748

Paul2748

Fix the problem, don't just throw a band aid on it.

19. Powerband

Powerband

8V batt always needed external charger to maintain on the 6V Ferguson TO20. 6V cranks a little slower but generator keeps it charged-no problem. When it's @ -12F quick jump to 12V will spin it real good....

Your mileage may vary...

Powerband

20. I got the 8 volt in my Imperial at The Chrysler dealer where I work. Most Dealerships order batteries from a few different suppliers, but the car couldn't charge the previous 8 volt that the car had before I got it. I think your best to go 6 volt , unless your gonna put a big stereo in it. Then I would just switch it to 12 volt. I know My dealership can get 6 volt batteries too, And the Napa store here can too.

21. zgears

zgears

this is all wrong..........

if you electrical system is not grounded/corroded/worn out ect. 8volt or 12volt are not going to help.

22. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

I disagree. We ran an 8V battery in the Chris Craft untill I put a CC/SBC in it, and the confidence factor alone when hitting the switch was worth it. An 8V will whirl the starter over MUCH faster, it stayed charged even idling for long periods. After all, it's hard to sip a Gin and Tonic tearing around the lake trying to charge up the battery...

It's not a "band-aid", you're replacing a failing battery. Put an 8V in it, you won't be sorry.

23. zgears

zgears

won't your 6volt regulator and your 6volt generator turn your 8volt into a 6volt.

my 6volt cranks just fine because my electrical system is new and not worn out junk.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2010
  24. I don't have any personal experience but from everything I have read (check the archives) you are better off cleaning the grounds and keeping it 6 volt.

Charlie Stephens

25. pontiac

pontiac

Yes, unless your voltage regulator is tuned for the 8V battery, It'll pull your 8V battery down to a 6V battery and you'll be back at square one.

The 6V system cars start fine so long as your grounds and starter are good.

My car is 6V and starts fine.