Register now to get rid of these ads!

'64 Galaxie - no wanna startee

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flat_mountain, Jun 1, 2010.

1. flat_mountain

flat_mountain

Picked up the '64 today and decided to tinker with it some. I knew when I bought it that it wasn't running yet and needed some sorting out under the hood with the electrical (PO was trying to convert it to a one wire GM alternator) so here goes. I need to know why I'm not getting power to the starter. I have a new battery, new starter solenoid and new 4 gauge cable running from the solenoid to the starter. I have cleaned the original positive and ground wires running from the battery to the solenoid (positive) and engine block (ground). The test light is showing power to the solenoid on the positive cable side but no power is getting to the starter on the other side of the solenoid. The ignition switch is being turned to the ON/START position by a helper to no avail. There is no click coming from the new solenoid to suggest the starter is trying to engage. What am I missing here? Any help would be appreciated, thanks

2. probably in the switch. i would try jumping the solenoid to see if it cranks..

3. try this with the key just in the running postion use a jump wire from the batt side to the starter side becouse its new dont mean its good. ( use a heavy wire for this and
    watch your fingers you dont want to get burned ) and yes 12 volts will burn you!
    if this dont work then your starter is the issue .turn the motor by hand and listion for a click ( Binding at the starter ) Bob

4. DAPER DAVE

DAPER DAVE
    from N/A

I had a problem like that with my Falcon. Push the shifter all the way up into park. It will ususally start. This connects the starter to the fly wheel and puts it all the way in gear. If its a stick or colume shift all the way into nutral. I hopfully it will work in your situation.

I hope this helps.

5. tomcat46

tomcat46

Check the neutral safety switch.

6. FORD FAN

FORD FAN

check to see if you're getting voltage to the solenoid when you turn the key to start. If not, check for continuity from your ign. switch to the solenoid.( battery disconnected) If there's continuity ,then your ign. switch is bad. If no continuity, then run a new wire from the ign. switch to the solenoid. IIRC, the starter wire is is red with blue stripe.

7. FORD FAN

FORD FAN

that's a good point, the NSS could also be the problem.

8. gaspumpchas

gaspumpchas

The solenoid needs to have a good ground thru the base, also...good luck

"ah, **it, its Holstein......"

9. flat_mountain

flat_mountain

Turned out to be a combination of problems, a loose connection for the secondary wire and a bad starter. Thanks for tips guys, I appreciate it ;)