Register now to get rid of these ads!

1963 Buick Riviera Overheating

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hudson48, Nov 7, 2009.

1. hudson48

hudson48

Original nailhead 401.On the road it would stay around 180.In traffic
    it would zoom up to 220+.I was getting a few things done and wanted
    this fixed.We fitted a thermo fan at the front of the radiator and then changed the cap(had incorrect recovery cap).Still running hot after sitting so checked the thermostat.

Suprise,no thermostat and couldn't get an original to suit.So we fitted a restrictor to slow the water flow thinking it was travelling through too fast
    to get cooled in the radiator.

On trip home got stuck in traffice and this time worse than ever.Gauge went off the dial and the temp light came on which has never happened before.

It uses a clutch fan setup and I assume this is working.Will check this also

Any other suggestions

2. hotrod-Linkin

hotrod-Linkin

the fan in front restricts airflow. get a thermostat,,,,they sell them everywhere.

3. hudson48

hudson48

I am an amateur and I knew the fan in front should be sucking not blowing.Stupid f*!#ing auto electrician has the wires reversed and it is
    blowing out the front of the car.I am sure that will be the problem.No additional airflow from the electric fan.We left the original fan and shroud in as well.

4. RodP

RodP

I have owned a couple of 63's. The factory radiator core was not thick enough. My radiator guy new exactly what to do and he ordered a core that was the same thickness as the top tank and that worked for me. I owned the car for 5 years and it never overheated again.
    RodP

5. hudson48

hudson48

Not in Australia they don't.At least not for Rivs.All were imported

6. BinderRod

BinderRod

I just picked up a factory manual for my 65 Riviera. It says it should run over 212 and over all the time. Sounds to warm to me but, that is what I read.

7. hudson48

hudson48

Fixed it.Wires on fan were reversed.Just had it sitting idling for 25 mins and it got to 190 and stayed there.

8. Greenelectra

Greenelectra
    from atlanta

My 63' in Atlanta seems to be running even hotter this year than ever . Up to a [nervous-nervous] 245 . Recored the radiator , new fan clutch and the thermostat is fine .
    No fan shroud .
    Is running this hot unavoidable in the middle of the day in Atlanta or should I just go buy a huge electric fan or does that not work so I need a desert cool radiator or what ??
    Help.
    Also I would have thought a 401 should run at about 190 to 220 most of the time so ....

9. Get one. You wont believe the difference it will make.

10. Solamente1954

Solamente1954

If you really want to keep cool... Go electric but if you want to keep your ride OG install the factory Fully inclosed Fan shroud from an AC car... But the down side is they are hard to come by and expensive if you find one. A guy on Ebay sells them. My 64 stays real cool but I live in California... I have the OG AC setup.