Register now to get rid of these ads!

My first build...EVER! '58 F100

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DanIam, May 29, 2010.

1. DanIam

DanIam

Well, I've been hanging out here for a while now and have enjoyed reading about all the different builds on this site. I love how detailed some of them are, and I really appreciate how quickly some of them get completed. I love The-Syndicate's Shop Truck build. It's truly inspiring.

I am 44 years old with practically zero experience with a wrench. I have an uncle that builds Hot Rods and I have always been fascinated with cars. I have attended every Custom Hot Rod Show I possibly could, wishing I had the time and skills to build something of my own. The club shows are always my favorite because they are usually cars that are built to be driven, as well as admired. Unfortunately for me, I did not grow up around cars. The only experience I have had is basic maintenance. I've changed out a few alternators and starters over the years, but nothing beyond that. Truth is, I was intimidated by my lack of knowledge.

Earlier this year I said screw it! I decided to build something and learn as I go. My 16 year old son is going to join me on this project, so I can hopefully help him gain an appreciation for cars and and he can learn alongside me at the same time. So far it's been great!

A couple months back I purchased a Big Window '58 F100. Only problem is, it's sitting two hours away and I haven't been able to pick it up yet. I plan on doing so next week. Here are a couple pics...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Even though I haven't managed to pick up the '58, I did manage to buy a '57 F100 from a local seller. It came with a ton of extra parts and has an engine in it that supposedly runs. The seller claimed it is a 351C, but I'm not sure. I need to check the numbers on the block to make sure. Either way, I figure I can sell the engine if I don't want to use it. Between the two trucks, I think I should have enough parts to get a good start on my project. Here are a some pics of the "parts truck".

This is what it looks like now, after spending a little time cleaning it out after it arrived. It had two inches of dirt and rotting leaves in the bed and the floor of the cabs. Yes, it came with two cabs.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is a close-up of the engine. Like I said, the claim was that this is a 351C. I'd appreciate it if anyone has any insight for me. Remember... I am a true novice. Either way, it looks to be a sound engine, so I have something to work with.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These are most of the spare parts that came with the '57. I have a really nice hood, several doors and excellent condition as well as a variety of grills and front fenders.
    [​IMG]

I realize this is a big undertaking for a newbie to the hobby, but I refuse to be intimidated by my lack of experience. I will forge ahead and I plan to make this a long term project, so my expectations are realistic. I have some very knowledgeable friends who plan on giving me a hand, one of whom used to build Hot Rods in California, so I am not completely on my own. Wish me luck!

Last edited: Jun 19, 2010
  2. ratster

ratster

nice start. the hamb is a good place to learn from

3. carkiller

carkiller

We all started some where. (Try and try again) (blood and grease do mix) You have your vehicle now pic a dirrection. Good luck and welcom to the world of I will.

4. Labold

Labold

Cool project, keep us posted. We all love to watch progress on a build.

5. Humboldt Cat

Humboldt Cat
    from Eureka, CA

Nice start! Have various parts for '57-'60, some are detailed interior stuff. Lemme know what yer looking for, or if you have any questions. I've been thoroughly going through my '57 for almost 10 years now, learning as I go. Keep us updated!

6. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

Looks like a good start! The floor's kinda rough but the rest of the cab appears pretty solid. I think pickups are a good first project vehicle, they're pretty simple and you should be able to source parts from Dennis Carpenter, Auto Krafters and a few other places.

7. truckncoupe

truckncoupe

Good luck on the build, I was born in 58 so you know I like it!:D

8. Tony Ray

Tony Ray

looks like a good start.. keep us posted

9. kenymac

kenymac

The Motor in the 57 is a 351C. Just look at the fuel pump as the mounting bolts are one above the other. Looks like a great project to start on and appears you will have plenty of good parts for a great build! Good luck and have fun with the son helping with the build.

10. DanIam

DanIam

The cab on the '58 that I am going to pick up next week (fingers crossed) is in really good shape, so between the two, I should have something good.

11. DanIam

DanIam

Thanks for the info. I was going to put in a 302, but the 351C might be a better option. Of course, I'd really like to put a Y-block in it, but I'm not sure. It's all up in the air at this point.

12. 58custom

58custom

That is indeed a Cleveland series engine. Eight bolts per valve cover.

Is it a 351C or a 351M/400? The pictures are kinda small but one can tell by the distributor mounting area. Yours is at the same level as the T-stat which makes it the 351C.

351C:
    [​IMG]

351M/400:
    [​IMG]

So what is the model number of the intake? It's on one of the runners.

13. Sweet I'm deffinately watching this thread! Check my 59 build.

14. DanIam

DanIam

My son and I got the bed removed. It was a good place to start, since I plan on stripping down both trucks to the frame, making sure I start with the better of the two. I figured it would be easy enough for two rookies to do by themselves. It was simple enough, although I did learn a thing or two about having the right tools! One more benefit to this project will the be built in excuse to buy more tools. :D

Anyway, 6 of the 8 bolts came of without incident. The other two were more difficult. One was stripped, while the other one would simply spin and I could not come up with a way hold it in place enough to torque the wrench, so I decided to cut them both out. Easy enough for most of you, but for a tool challenged rookie it was a bit of an undertaking. The only tool I had was a Dremel. In the end it worked out just fine, but it took longer than it should have. I had to cut through the bed, around the head of one of the bolts because I couldn't get to the bolt from underneath to cut it. The spare tire cross member was in the way. No biggie, the bed is going to need plenty of work anyway.

[​IMG]

One of the cross members is bent up pretty good, but the rest of the frame seems to be pretty straight. Should be an easy fix if we end up using this frame.
    [​IMG]

I set the bed on end so that I could inspect for Bondo and rust. Tell me if I am missing something here, but it looks pretty good to my untrained eye. The rust appears to be mostly surface rust and if their is any Bondo, it's only on the surface of the exterior. There wasn't any evidence of Bondo from the underside, which I was happy to see.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is really the only significant rust on the entire box, which seems pretty good. I am going to put a wood kit in the bed, so this would have to be replaced anyway.
    [​IMG]

15. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

I thought all Ford fleetside beds were steel, while stepsides were wood- are you going to build something custom to replace the floor?

16. madgrinder

madgrinder

Looks like an Accel dual-point distributor in that Cleveland... nice bonus!

I always thought the 57 grille looked the best, but you have several to choose from.

My 57 had a stroked Windsor/C6/9-inch combo. I slammed it with flipped perches, Volare clip, Versailles rear, and four-wheel-discs. It was a beast of a truck.

17. DanIam

DanIam

That's what I thought as well, but I have seen several fleetsides done in wood, and someone told me there is a kit out there for them, so I just need to do some research.

18. magsnubby

magsnubby
    from Fresno,Ca

You gotta keep that 351 Cleveland. They make great cruiser engines for trucks and when you nail it....hang on.

19. Orange Crate

Orange Crate

Check with Bruce Horkey's Wood & parts in Windom. MN for the bed wood kits.

20. DanIam

DanIam

Thanks! You guys are a wealth of information. :)

21. Nice 3 big windows!!! What you gonna do with spare parts? build your son a truck?

22. DanIam

DanIam

For now, he has a 71 F250 that he is "practicing" on. We are eventually going to paint the 71 and sell it. He wants a 55 Chevy 3100 at this point.

23. Hmm...well you could build 2 trucks! lol. I think finding a step side bed would be easy...

24. DanIam

DanIam

You are correct. The step side beds can be purchased from LMC brand new. They are pricey though, and I've only seen one 57 - 60 with a stepside that I liked. I prefer the fleetside or styleside, whatever the correct terminology is. :rolleyes:

25. olskool37

olskool37

awesome! my first old driver was a '60 F100 351W/c4 set-up, and have also owned a '59, and still am holding onto a '57 F250 thats a backburner project. They're fun quirky trucks but they can clean up real well

check out this thread
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=74506

or do a search for 1957, 58, 59, 60 F100 pics, photos, fotos ect.

26. would a earlier model F100 bed work? 53-56??

27. DanIam

DanIam

As far as I know, tHe step side beds were all the same into the late 60's.

28. Oldb

Oldb

Check the corner of the heads above the valve cover. If it says 4 or 2 and the heads have not been changed it is a Cleveland. If there is no number there it is a 351M or a 400M. Another way to tell is the 351M and the 400M have the same bell housing as a 460. A 351 Cleveland has the same bell as a 301 or 351w. Looks like a great father son project, should provide lots of great memories down the road.

B

29. Oldb

Oldb

Check that should have said the Cleveland has the same bell as a 302 or 351W.

B

30. I'm pretty sure the stepside tailgates are interchangeable from '53-'66. Something like that.