Register now to get rid of these ads!

Triumph frame-works and other progress... Another mock up..

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 'Flyin' Dutchman', Jan 11, 2005.

1. Here's some more progress... Some guys have been asking for some more pics. Well.. I had a bigass crash with my BMX last weekend so I called in sick for a few days. I was able to move around a bit though, so I put in some more work on the Trump.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Made some bushings on the lathe to fit the springer nicely in the Trump frame.

[​IMG]

Here's a mockup with the 19" spool wheel.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Made the peanut tank fit.. I actually have an idea to make 3 different tanks fit. This one... An identical one which will sit Frisco style. And I got my hands on a very, very bitchin' Sporty tank which will also be mounted (I use the brackets of the old Sporty tank that used to be on here). That way I can choose between 3 styles of tanks and change the whole look of the bike in 5 minutes.

[​IMG]

Rear hub with fresh paint. Tomorrow I'm gonna see my wheel guy to get a set of spokes so I can lace up the black 18" rim in there with my dad.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Did a lot of framework... Damn, this was a pain in the ass... Not completely finished, but it doesn't look bad i think.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It's gonna be a skinny motherf*#ker.. On top, the frames are welded together. On the bottom I'm gonna keep the connection with the 4 fine threaded bolts. That sits super tight. The frame's gonna be painted black, so you won't see those bolts when the motor is installed.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

With the 21" wheel...

[​IMG]

I just fit these bars for fun.. It's kinda uncomfy. I have the same idea for the bars as with the tanks. I'm gonna make it in a way that I can choose between 3 different styles of bars. Flattrack style (like on Coles bike).. I'm gonna weld those onto the springer triple tree clamp.. Then I found a clamp with staight extensions to fit dogbones with a dragbar... And we're gonna try to make some tubes which will come straight up out of the springer's tubes, and the make a 90 degree bent to the sides (I think the Trumpster has that too)..

[​IMG]

See how crooked these bars are...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

That's it...

2. ratata

ratata
    from Austria

hi, nice mockup. is that a modified triumph frame or is it a different make? thanks

greets, me

3. It's a '70 Bonneville with a bolt-on hardtail, which I made into a weld-on/bolt-on hardtail... [​IMG]

4. flatshoebox

flatshoebox

cool mock! what kinda springer is that??

5. LIMEY

LIMEY

Nice look so far.....good job!

I see you have a nice new heater in the garage....wimp!! [​IMG]

6. Flynn's_57

Flynn's_57
    from Nor*Cal

Well now I want a short springer on MINE....
    [​IMG]

7. truth

truth
    from Boston, MA

good start man, cant wait to see it progress!

8. [ QUOTE ]
    what kinda springer is that??

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a stock length 45 springer from HD...

And eh, Limey... Nice heater huh..?!! Must say, the weather has been awesome the last couple days. Don't really need it at this moment.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. Maurice!!!
    Lifesaver! I need the specs on those bearings.
    'mail me.

Eeuwig dankbaar O alwetende!

10. TRIUMPH TERROR

TRIUMPH TERROR

Lookin good man I like that springer it appears to be a early HD springer if so some restorer is crappin himself right now. I have always kinda done the 2 or 3 different set ups on my bikes so when I get tired of one look it is easy to change it. keep up the good work.
    Later Shoe

11. TheFrenZ

TheFrenZ
    from Germany

Hey Maurice !

Hope you are doing better again ! Your Trump looks good !!!
    Heard you wanna go with a 18' rear wheel.That definitely is the right size for this kind of bike.What tire are you going to use ? Do you yourself a favor and go with the Coker Firestone.
    You have so many options to change the look of your bike within minutes.I guess you even have a second 18" wheel for the M&H,don't you ? [​IMG]
    Thanks for the update and I'm already looking forward to the next one !

12. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

Looking good man. I only saw the first couple pictures, damn modem hook up, it's slooooooow.

Is that a repro springer?

Where didja get the seat?

13. Hey Frenz.. Wassup!

I found a vintage Dunlop Goldseal tire for it... A skinny one.
    I can't make it with the M&H.. Not enough chain clearance. Too bad...
    probably on a next project.

Nads,

It's a repro springer.. Seems that they are made right here in Holland.

That seat... I bought it from Wes at Four Aces Cycle in 2003. It's a NOS Bates sparkle seat..
    I wanna have one from Fatluckys too.. My friends wanna order some too, but they don't know what they want exactly.

BTW... I'm talking the guys into taking our bikes over to the Biketoberfest in Oct. And then on to the No Love party...
    I talked to a shipping guy who also imported some parts for me. A good company and they could give us a good deal onn shipping the bikes to the US if we were with 4 guys...

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

14. Bass

Bass
    from Dallas, TX

Maurice,

I have a buddy that can machine a spacer that fits between your drum and hub to give you enough tire/chain clearance. He wrote a quick CNC program to make one for me and he still has the program.

I had him make mine 1/4" thick to use on my black bike because the chain was hitting the sidewall, and now it clears fine. Only problem is that it offsets the wheel to the timing side a bit.

Let me know if you want a spacer and I'll put you in touch with him.

By the way, I just got my Fatlucky's seat for the new bike and it's fucking killer...you won't be disappointed. Frame looks great too!

15. Evel

Evel
    1. 60s Show Rods

16. How about this 18 incher we laced up...?!! [​IMG]

Bearing specs coming up in a bit Slazzen..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. TheFrenZ

TheFrenZ
    from Germany

Hey Maurice !

Looks REALLY good !!! How about a mock-up with the M&H just for fun ??? [​IMG]
    Yes,now where you mentioned it the thing with the chain clearance makes sense...
    The spacer Bass is talking about sounds very interesting and I'd give it a chance.
    And Maurice,I know I already told you,but again,if you ever should find another M&H,I would be so damn thankful if you would forward it to me.Same with the S&S L series carb.

18. Okay, bearing specs... here we go!

On top I have this one:

FAG Germany, KL44649, F-B... Inner diam. = 1 1/8 inch.

It has a rounded edge... looks like it is used for self centering purposes or something too..

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

On the bottom I have this one:

NSK, Japan DR, L44643... Inner diam: 1 inch...

No rounded edge.

[​IMG]

Now, where did I get these bearings...
    They were on the forks I got with my Triumph.. '73 forks. Before the springer I opted for early 70's Sporty narrow glides.. And guess what... They used the same bearings. There was one icluded with those forks. Only on the Trump there was a spacer included.

I had some German Audi bearings laying around, from the steering/spindles, and those were the same as the top bearing with the rounded edge. So those are spares.. Haha!

I don't know why you guys need all this info, but here's the drawing I made for the spacers, to fit my 45 springer in my Trump frame.

Sizes are in mm's... 25,4mm = 1" Aaaight!! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bass... On the spacer.
    I really appreciate your help man!! But, the thing is, with the Avon I already was waaay offset with my wheel.. With the M&H I would have to go the same way. It's getting too much. We just put the wheel over by using different spoke lengths. I'll just use the M&H for a future project.
    I now got my inspirations from this baby...

[​IMG]

And frenz... I'll keep it in mind. We're probably going to this year's Bike Week... I know a guy who might have some L's.

19. Bass

Bass
    from Dallas, TX

That's cool...I totally understand what you mean. The offset I'm having to run on my black bike to clear the 5.00-16 Firestone kinda bothers me too, but it's really just me being picky. It doesn't really look bad, and it's actually not too noticeable.

I really want to switch to an 18" wheel and Avon slick on my black bike, but finding the Avon slick is a problem. The last two I bid on on ebay went above $200.

I REALLY like the Pre-unit in the last pic...in fact that's the style I like best...late '50s /early '60s So-cal style. I drooled over that pic for quite a while when you posted it on the FUCK board.

Keep up the good work on your Trump, and keep posting pictures!

-Brian

20. [ QUOTE ]
    That's cool...I totally understand what you mean. The offset I'm having to run on my black bike to clear the 5.00-16 Firestone kinda bothers me too, but it's really just me being picky. It doesn't really look bad, and it's actually not too noticeable.

-Brian

[/ QUOTE ]

Same thing here.. I'm too picky.

But also, the chain just clears by 1/8 of an inch or so...

What kind of chain you run..? O-ring??

I run a really heavy duty O-ring chain (DID) from a crotch rocket. It's pretty wide.

21. Bass

Bass
    from Dallas, TX

530 non O-ring. I'm trying to remember what the brand is right now...I think it's Tsubaki?

The O-ring style didn't have enough clearance for my liking. And the chain I got is plenty strong. I think it's rated to 750cc or something like that.

22. Yep... Mines 530 also, but then with the O-rings..

Mines rated 120 HP or something. That'd require 3 of my bikes! Hahaha!!

But I like to have stuff build strong. [​IMG]

23. TheFrenZ

TheFrenZ
    from Germany

[ QUOTE ]

And frenz... I'll keep it in mind. We're probably going to this year's Bike Week... I know a guy who might have some L's.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you,Maurice !!! I really do appreciate !
    I understand you want to have your tire centered.I don't like it offset as well.By thew way,what is the total width of the M&H ?
    Thanks again !