Register now to get rid of these ads!

Found a complete McCulloch Supercharger and need help with application Id.....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mike hamel, May 28, 2010.

1. mike hamel

mike hamel

I found this complete McCulloch superchager and need some help with what it goes on! They fellow said it was for a Y-block, but I am just not sure! What do people think it might go to? I can get serial number too if that helps.

Attached Files:

• 015.jpg
      015.jpg
      File size:
      493.2 KB
      Views:
    • 012.jpg
      012.jpg
      File size:
      518.2 KB
      Views:
    • 010.jpg
      010.jpg
      File size:
      513.3 KB
      Views:
    • 007.jpg
      007.jpg
      File size:
      400.3 KB
      Views:
    • 006.jpg
      006.jpg
      File size:
      435.4 KB
      Views:
    • 011.jpg
      011.jpg
      File size:
      495.4 KB
      Views:
    • 002.jpg
      002.jpg
      File size:
      505.4 KB
      Views:
    • 003.jpg
      003.jpg
      File size:
      495.6 KB
      Views:
    • 001.jpg
      001.jpg
      File size:
      490 KB
      Views:
    • 004.jpg
      004.jpg
      File size:
      493.7 KB
      Views:
  2. llonning

llonning

It will just depend on the mounting brackets. They came on Studebakers as well as Fords.

3. mike hamel

mike hamel

Do you need me to take any better pictures of the mounting brackets? I believe they have part numbers on them...

4. Here's the only one I've ever seen in person. '57 T-Bird.

Attached Files:

5. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

Y block motor Mike...pretty sure

6. I forgot about this Studebaker.

Attached Files:

7. mike hamel

mike hamel

I never knew about studebakers..... So it still could be off of a y block??? Sorry I just know hardly anything about mcculloch superchargers.

8. OneBad56

OneBad56

I thought the blown' 312 in a 57 'Bird was with a Paxton supercharger.

Oops, I stand corrected. it was known as a McCulloch Paxton VR57 supercharger.

9. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

I saw that on eBay, too.... It's not yours is it? :cool:

The supercharger itself is a SN-60 or later SN series, which means it was produced in 1960 or later. Note the shorter front case than the mid 50's VS units, and it's not ribbed like VR units used by Ford in the 1957/58 model years.

Could be a replacement supercharger unit with other older parts. The VS and SN series are interchangable bolt patternwise on the brackets.

If you do end up with it, I'd love detailed pictures with part numbers for a website I'm screwing together for these things...

10. adamabomb76

adamabomb76
    from York, Pa

Studebaker was natorious for using parts in production that they bought from other manufacturers. It was cheaper than being innovative, and probably helped them stay afloat as long as they did. I don't know if this helps, but maybe a worthy side note?

11. FlamedChevy

FlamedChevy

Great score......Send it to me I have a place to install it....Ha

12. PM me later...have a factory brochure on the 57 Ford supercharger for info...

13. mike hamel

mike hamel

Thank you!!! That's all I needed to find out.

14. RocketDaemon

RocketDaemon
    from Sweden

better pic on mounting bracket, i have an complete sales litterature of the mountingbrackets and so on from the 50ies, (rather bad copy of one.. but still good to id brackets with...)

15. Ole don

Ole don

They were also factory equipment in the last two years of Kaiser. If you dont have the crank pulley, the kit is not yet complete. There were kits sold for flathead Fords as well as the new Chev V8. I have seen two of them on Chrysler and Lincoln V8's.

16. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Can't forget the articles in HOT ROD about supercharging the compacts. They did a couple, with both Stroppe enterprises and the Granitellis, the best of the two is in the July 1960 issue and shows the supercharger in installed. Also shows the difference between the Vs-57 version and the SN-60. The article makes it sound like the Granitellis had several kits available to install these on many different cars. Got to admit though, Stroppe's install on the triple carbed Falcon six as a blow through was my favorite.

17. RocketDaemon

RocketDaemon
    from Sweden

paradise wheels in california has all old patterns and alot of parts for the vs57

mcculloch sold complete kits for virtually every v8 in the 50ies aswell as flathead 6ies
    and yes factory installed on tbirds, studebakers and kaisers..

i have an bracket for an olds rocket myself...

they even had kits for corvairs..

18. nsh57

nsh57

Is this one that you're planning on installing on your engine? If so, I'd like to chat with you about it... specifically about the mounting bracket and pulley tension. I have a VS-57 and I'm in the process of making brackets for mine. Thanks!

Oh, by the way, they sure look good polished out!

[​IMG]

19. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

The one in photo is a 1957 Golden Hawk unit,the vac speed piston is housed in that long tube under the crest emlum,it would open and close the pulley to make it bigger or smaller for rpm.
    Belt ware was high and the spool bearing and it's balls would ware out,but loved the hum and boost,very cool.
    Some had a box around carb and other just a cap with carb float vented only to cap also.

Last edited: May 29, 2010
  20. metalshapes

metalshapes

I'd rather go to John Erb instead.

I had a bad ( and expensive) experience with Paradise Wheels, and they lost me as a customer....

21. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

You guys are talking about factory systems but they made after market kits for a bunch of other applications also. The pulleys might be a good place to start. If they fit then the brackets can be checked closely.

[​IMG]

22. darkbuddha

darkbuddha

Not to hi-jack the thread, but it's interesting this topic came up since I'm trying to identify an early McCulloch branded SN60 kit I picked up several years ago. Anyone wanna hazard a guess:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

23. Doug57

Doug57
    from Ware, Mo

MIke, Are you selling the this? I'm looking for one for my Y-Block

24. oldstudes

oldstudes

It looks like the super charger used on the R2 avanti engine. They were painted black. The carb box and all looks like the unit on the Avanti. Studebaker owned Paxton supercharger in the 60s it is a short nose unit . I would bet R2