Register now to get rid of these ads!

Lock washers on my flywheel bolts - yes or no?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ford 223 gurl, May 28, 2010.

1. The reason I ask is because in my manual there are 3 exploded views. 2 do not show lock washers and 1 does. Also there is no mention of them in any of the text. :confused:

Also should I torque the pressure plate? Also no mention of this in my manual.

Thanks. ;)

2. randydupree

randydupree
    from archer fl

no lock washers on flywheel bolts.

3. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

...and I would torque everything correctly! Oh, a little locktight would not be a bad idea on the flywheel bolts too.

4. It says 75 - 85 lbs for the flywheel, but nothing for the pressure plate. I assume it needs it too.

Any suggestions?

And I had planned on Loc-tite for the bolts, thanks.

5. Some do use star washers . Torquing a bolt never hurts. I have a a chart that lists bolt size and what it is torqued to. What motor is this?

6. Nobodys Hero

Nobodys Hero
    from New Jersey

I would wire tie the bolts as well

7. It's a Ford 223.

8. RDR

RDR

torq them and locktite...

9. I learned years ago that if you are unsure...tighten till it strips then back off half a turn.

Seriously though, I use high temp permanent threadlocker and somewhere here on the net (as mentioned in an earlier answer) there should be a chart listing the torque specs for bolts based on their diameter...e.g 1/2" bolts gets ____, 3/8" bolts get ____...etc Good luck

10. holeshot

holeshot
    BANNED
    from Waxahachie

GURL...the older flywheels use lock washers, but some new ones don't. yours probably doe's. and definately TORQUE flywheel and pressure plate bolts...POP.

11. 61bone

61bone

If 3/8s uss -35 ft lbs If 3/8s sae- 39 ft lbs. blue locktite

12. Fordguy321

Fordguy321
    from Arizona

just a few rat ta ta ta tats of a 3/8 impact wrench! LOL

13. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Won't the engine's direction of rotation keep them tight? Gary

14. MR.BROWN

MR.BROWN

I just did a 351 Cleveland for a guy with no lock washers. I torqued them to spec. After he got exhaust on the car he came back down to my shop for a once over everything. Guess what, it had a strange knock that got worse the slower the engine ran. Hmmm?
    I pulled the bastard out! All but one of the Flywheel bolts had come loose. The little star washers are VERY important! Most times there is not enough clearance for a regular lock washer, but I would strongly recommend the little star washers in every application. By the way the car is a 70 mustang with big tube race headers, an 8 quart oil pan, and is a complete nightmare to work on.

15. Star washers and a dab of lock tite.