Register now to get rid of these ads!

1961 F100 Gasser

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by CadillacSkippy, Jan 2, 2010.

1. Stone

Stone

Nice lookin project.

2. CadillacSkippy

CadillacSkippy
    from Tucson

[​IMG]
    Building the headers this fri so i figured i would put up a before pic.

3. CadillacSkippy

CadillacSkippy
    from Tucson

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    So they are not painted yet and the cap are not done or the rest of the exhaust but i figured i would share. They are not the best headers out there by anymeans but for using an exhaust bender and considering even with the rest of the exhaust and $ for the flanges i will have approx. $90 into the entire exhaust with header dumps im pretty happy with how they turned out.

Oh yeah dont worry i know the motor looks like shit. Thats next on the list.

4. CadillacSkippy

CadillacSkippy
    from Tucson

5. Delmo

Delmo
    from Burbank

Truck looks great man, keep it up. I sure would love the chance to punch Ruiner in face soon.

6. Nick Flores

Nick Flores

That is some funny shit! :D LMAO!
    BTW boys.. my 64 is coming together pretty quick. We may vary well have us a pack of slicks tearin' ass around pretty soon.

7. the edge

the edge
    from Arizona

I like it tooooooo!....they look great!!!!...Saturday?

8. loco_gringo

loco_gringo

I dig it... looks like a fun ass daily driver.

9. Unibodyguy

Unibodyguy

Would like hear a little YouTube sound on that thing now that you have the headers done, should sound pretty offical.:D

Michael

10. Falcon Gasser

Falcon Gasser

Great looking headers, that thing just keps getting better looking everytime you do something to it.

Jon

11. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

Glad to see you un-lowered the rear. It had a 'dirty-diaper' look that was throwing me off.

The Y-block is cool, but I think an FE could be built for about the same price and have 90ish more cubic inches.

I think you have a pattern to build from with the F100-XL shown here, I'm not sure I can envision a '60s Ford truck looking any cooler than that. Build it safe, and that includes five lug nuts holding each wheel. :)

12. CadillacSkippy

CadillacSkippy
    from Tucson

i think my buddy took a video of the first drive ill try and put it up.

13. mopargnome

mopargnome

Who cares about you and your cool book. Let him build it the way he wants.:cool:

14. DirtyThirty

DirtyThirty
    from nowhere...

Mmmmmm.......an F.E., would be killer...I would imagine by the era that this truck would have hit the track, also, an F.E. would have been a much more logical choice to most racers, if they even stayed with a Ford...definately more power/$$$ potential, but, Y blocks are a neat motor, too, and you can squeeze nearly 300 horses out of them, before things get REALLY expensive.
    Man, I think right now the single biggest thing you can do to tighten up the whole overall look of this truck, is to get some real rubber out back.
    That's gonna make a BIG difference, right there...
    I want to find a 250 one of these to pull my drag truck.

15. SchlottyD

SchlottyD

You're givin' me the bug to work on mine some more. I've got to start a build thread soon. Maybe when I get the body back on and back to roller status.

16. Cameo Carrier

Cameo Carrier

Those turned out nice! Can't wait to see them in person. I think my truck is still faster though ;-)

17. Ford Freak

Ford Freak

You know I like it! Nice job on the headers.

18. sardo_67

sardo_67

can i get more info on that truck? i have a 67 Dodge D-100 that i want to do that with. he has it almost the exact way i want to set mine up

19. ponchopowered

ponchopowered

great build its defently looking killer in my book, and glad to see your doing the work to keep it on the road and make it how you want

20. Brahm

Brahm

1) Snowmobiles a+, but they belong in powder, or climbing chutes not on a track.
    2) Gasser are giant ridiculous contradictions in the first place.
    3) Gasser trucks.. just a continuation of said contradiction

21. ParkerFya

ParkerFya

How So?

22. Brahm

Brahm

If your gonna build a dedicated drag car.. build a dedicated drag car. Why build a slow car with bad suspension, not saying all gassers are slow but for the money, and effort put forth you can build a much quicker car if you ditched the silly suspension. It really isn't a the best way to get traction in the rear.. I know we may have thought so 40 years ago but we were wrong. Not to mention it involves totally hacking the shit out of great cars...to turn them into shitty slow race cars.

It's all about the looks, and not about the GO imop. Which is fine IF you were building a street car..but to build a "dedicated race car" that is more about the looks and less about the go.. that just baffles my mind.

What's the worlds fastest true gasser et? Somewhere in the mid 8's? There are guys running better et's then that on street legal radial tires.

Personally, the only time I want my car to pull the front tires (or have the appearance of pulling the front tires as most gassers do) is when I'm launching @ the line.. not sitting in the parking lot.

Don't get me wrong, I dig alters, front engine dragsters ect..and I'll even admit there are a few RARE gassers that I like but turning a 55 chevy into a gasser is a CRIME in my book.

I'd take this..

[​IMG]

over this silly looking thing

[​IMG]

any day of the week

23. ParkerFya

ParkerFya

I agree that whole street freak/Fake gasser look like that 55 is a contradiction. That ride height is not making it go any faster.

But then again many of the "Dedicated race cars" that people build dont look like that 55

CadillacSkippy cool truck. The Y block is sweet

24. I guess it's a matter of opinion, I like the silly looking thing. :rolleyes: or the one on the bottom, I think all those flames look kinda silly. ;)

25. Brahm

Brahm

Oh ya, I agree, there are always exceptions to the rules. As far as the truck. Hey if your happy with it right on, have fun! I personally think It has so much potential if done another way..but I've got enough of my own projects to neglect to be griping about others. ^_^

26. Brahm

Brahm

Always is.. I really like how he has his car done here, I like the older style flames. One of my all time favorite cars if a local guy in crowley lakes (next town over) has a merc with a very similar flame job.. I don't like what he did with the flames later though (the newest paint job I've seen is a body wrap with "photographic" looking flames..

But if it's the flames that give you the hibbie jibbies.. here is one with out

[​IMG]

27. Yeah, I do kinda like that look better. I also like the '55 better than the '57. ;) Always have.

28. DirtyThirty

DirtyThirty
    from nowhere...

Bottom car ain't a Gasser, anyway.....
    Top one is a modern race car.
    Both are, well...better than nothing, but, miss the point a bit for this board.
    Modern race car works better, but.......I still have a soft spot for non-cookie-cutter, homogenized, chassis-shop built cars, myself.
    I dig a soul, and a bit of uniqueness...

And wheelstands....;)

29. sardo_67

sardo_67

well people race in a class so if your car is fast enough to win in your class then that's all you need. another large issue for people is if you can't afford a 30k motor not to mention the car it goes in and the maintenance then an old modified chevy into a gasser style with a 600hp 454 is all you need

30. Brahm

Brahm

I donnu.. .you take that window net out, let that thing sit on the ground, maybe a wheel and tire swap and a stock hood sure looks like a bad ass custom tri-5 chevy to me. :)

The second one.. while may be a bit extreme but it's somebodies (well sadly alot of peoples) vision of what a gasser should be, and who's to say either those cars weren't built by the owner, psca racers are pretty much self funded, and self built..and really.. you calling that 55' "cookie cutter", yet..building another gasser just like they have been building for the past 60 years and made to look..(yet perform worse) like they have for the past 60 years is not..they make "gasser kits".. heh .. cookie cutter.. You want unique, you want soul....a Traditional Hot Rod forum is more about a passion for nostalgia then an expression of uniqueness. Not that there is anything wrong with that..but gassers fall more under the traditional umbrella then the custom one imop.