Register now to get rid of these ads!

Water spots on glass... any magic fixes?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by joeybsyc, May 23, 2010.

1. joeybsyc

joeybsyc
    from PA

My buddy has a cool '62 Merc Wagon, and has some acid rain/water spots on the glass... asked me if i had any ideas on what might take them off... I didn't, but thought maybe someone here might... any ideas?

Last edited: May 23, 2010
  2. MJVAUGHANS

MJVAUGHANS

oh yeah. use 000 or 0000 steel wool and it right up. It will NOT scratch the glass. This also works well on cleaning chrome. I work at a Harley dealership and this is my secret fix for getting stuff burnt off exhaust and mirrors.

mike

3. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

Water spots are mineral deposits from the water and over time, the glass gets etched by the deposits, essentially creating small craters. There really is no taking them off.
    Now if they are "minor", they can be polished out, I've seen guys used "pumice" hand cleaner to remove the deposits.

4. Oldb

Oldb

I have never dealt with acid rain, but we fought hard water spots on bus windows for years. The only product (and we tried several) we found to work is made by MALCO. It is called simply "water spot remover". It takes some elbow grease but it really works on hard water spots.
    Most detailers in this area use products by MALCO. Also on the web.

B

5. 76ironhead

76ironhead

I have never used it but i wonder if the head light restore kits would do anything, i have always used steel wool and alot of glass cleaner.

6. 56oldsDarrin

56oldsDarrin

I know this sounds scary, But etching mag wheel cleaner(eagle one) about 15 SECONDS and flood it with water.
    you could dilute it with about 4 parts of water to 1 part acid and it wouldnt be so scary.
    Degreaser (castrol super clean) is very alkaline it will neutralize the acid afterwords

7. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

I have seen light scratches removed from glass by polishing with Jeweler's ruge maybe that will work

8. outlaw56

outlaw56
    from Hines, MN

Steel wool will clean it like new.:D

9. Hey Joe. We had a similar issue on the rear glass of a '57 Bel Air a couple of years ago. Basically we used Mockingbird's method for restoring Radiator caps: Vinegar, Windex and 0000 Steel wool. I first tried cake BonAmi and had some success with it, but the other 'witches brew' seemed to do the trick.

Good Luck,
    DC

10. 117harv

117harv

A toothbrush and toothpaste.

11. haychrishay

haychrishay

Try the steel wool. sometimes vinegar and water will loosen them up too.

12. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

Better than steel wool, Bronze wool! It will polish and not scratch, good hardware or paint supply store should have it

13. S K I P P E R

S K I P P E R

14. Deuces

Deuces

Your dangerous^^^

15. Black_Sheep

Black_Sheep

If you can find it, try "Glass Wax"

16. Muttley

Muttley

The windows on my Comet were terrible, I used steel wool and metal polish and now they look new. I had the claw hand for about a week to prove it, that is one job that sucks if you have arthritis in your hands.

17. elricho

elricho

If you can get it use stainless steel wool-great for cleaning white walls as well!!!