Register now to get rid of these ads!

Willys pick up shop truck

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by GPR, May 22, 2010.

1. GPR

GPR

We have a lot of left over parts from other projects so I thought it was time to build a hot rod. I'm not sure what year the body is I think it's late 40's. We mounted it on a 1963 Galaxie frame and the 289 and 4 speed is out of a 1966 Fairlane.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We plan on chopping the top and I was looking for pictures to get an idea what it would look like.

2. Truckedup

Truckedup

Hey,ok, I like those trucks.I been looking for a Willy PU myself...more interest in a 4x4 version.....most are hammered,still looking

3. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

Cool idea...but surely you intend to move the cab farther back then that?
    The front tires are right into the fenders.
    Body certainly looks to be in good shape. Nice trucks! :)

4. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

Will make a great set up. I like the chop idea.
    I used to mess with a lot of Willys trucks/jeeps back in the 70's.
    A minor point, but if I remember correctly :rolleyes: the late 40's grills were still flat.
    The 50's grills had the pointed style like yours.
    Anxious to see it chopped. Will be way cool.
    Enjoy!

5. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

OH, forgot to add, if you are tall, like I am (6'-5") and heavy, being a body man, you may want to extend that cab about 6" when you chop it too.
    The original seats in those old gals were not thick, and when you add newer seats the room gets really short.

6. GPR

GPR

Yes the cab needs to go back but the front of the frame where the suspension attaches is hitting the nose of the Willys. I think we need to make a long nose Willys.

7. kraka138

kraka138

couple ideas
    1st is stock
    2nd is "flattened" roof (i always hated the hump roof on these)
    3rd is straight chopped
    4th is a combo of 2 and 3
    [​IMG]

8. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

Now I see it! :)
    Didn't notice how far ahead the crossmember was until you mentioned it.
    Looks like the grille could be shortened enough to pass back over the crossmember and then add a cover plate to hide the crossmember...like the YJ's and TJ's have stock.
    That flattened/chopped roof looks good too.

Your gonna have a fine rig for something made from leftovers!!! Wish my leftovers were that nice...

9. GPR

GPR

Wow!! thank you.

10. GPR

GPR

The problem than will be the water pump will be in the radiator. I'm thinking of moving the cab back and extending the cowl and fenders or make the hood and fenders longer.

11. 54GMC

54GMC
    from NY

47-49 had a flat grille 47-52 had the small back window, there is no firewall to backwall space, My 6' 3" son has trouble in mine. The engine and driveline sits farther back in the chassis than most other makes. With my wagon (Ramcharger frame) the engine and trans were moved to the rear 8" to get the front wheels in the proper location and the engine behind the radiator

12. kraka138

kraka138

you could do something like this, move the cab forward on the fenders and
    lengthen the fenders (sorry im having fun with this truck in paint)

[​IMG]

the good thing about doing this is if you need a replacement hood ever it will be the same as the stocker

13. GPR

GPR

This truck has been sitting like this since last year and I want to start working on it again. After looking it over I noticed the cab is not on there straight and is back farther on the right side. We can get the cab back about an inch and than work on the fenders if we need more clearance. We can also move the motor back if needed for radiator clearance. I was trying to get away with stock motor and transmission location for a 63 Galaxie since I have motor mounts and transmission crossmember.
    I also have a bed we can use.

[​IMG]

14. Isn't recycling fun.

15. zoomma

zoomma

Having fun. That's what it's all about.

16. BBF57

BBF57
    from alaska

been thinking about doing that also. did you lay back the a pillars? and i was going to channel it also

17. fearnoevo

fearnoevo
    from Iowa

I chopped it a lot, took a bunch off the bottom of the cab, not quite a legit section, tried to do a bit with the hood, but I am not that good, plus I have a limited attention span, so here ya go, my version of the cab.

Attached Files:

18. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Here's a chop with about a six inch setback on the cab, extended hood & fenders & nice wheels. Damn now I want one! :D
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  19. 57tailgater

57tailgater
    from Georgia

I once had a '52 4x4 model 4-73 (which was going to be a BIG 4x4 but was sold before it got done) and it looks you have a later 50's version. The grille is definitely a 50's version as the 40's were flat w/no chrome trim - more like a CJ jeep. The later versions on this cab had a one piece windshield as they went up thru the early 60's. Mine had a 2 piece with a divider. I had a chance to buy but another one and I was thinking of a roadster pickup but I didn't buy it. It would be easy to run without the front fenders and a bonus is the headlights are in the grille so you don't have to figure out how to mount them. The rear fenders don't allow very big tires too. If you keep the fenders I also thought the bottom extension on the front fenders needed to be even with the bottom of the cab. Food for thought from a previous owner. Have fun with it! :cool:

20. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

As usual, I couldn't leave it alone. A shop truck needs a bed.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

21. Use a different chassis. If you extend the front sheetmetal, it's going to look goofy. That huge kick-up in the back over the axles isn't ideal for a bed, either.

22. <FANG>

<FANG>
    from W.L.A.

My thoughts on the subject
    What do I win ???

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

23. 54GMC

54GMC
    from NY

^^^^^^^ you'll need to be about 4 foot 2 to fit in there

This is one I saw at Syracuse last year

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 20, 2010
  24. <FANG>

<FANG>
    from W.L.A.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Nice truck
    Looks Sectioned to me
    I could be wrong ??

25. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Hey Fang, I think the winner gets a "Prius Owners of America" t-shirt. Hope you win. :D
    </fang>

26. "Desert Rat"

"Desert Rat"
    from Yuma Az.

Here are a few pics of my Willys Wagon, a few inches off the top and the bottom, the windshield has been left alone.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

27. GPR

GPR

Thank you for the ideas I have not looked at this in about a year. I want to start working on this real soon. I will keep you posted.

28. Gojeep

Gojeep
    from Australia

Hope you do soon. :)

29. LeClaire

LeClaire
    from Minnesota

Get rid of the drip rail, and round the door corners, if you really want a drip rail, cut the old one off, and make a new one from round rod, that just follows the top of the doors, and doesn't go over the windshield